Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Disarming Goblins in cages  (Read 13485 times)

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disarming Goblins in cages
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 03:38:22 am »

Its funny actually, whilst reading this one of my captives has just got past 3 of my heavily armed trainees and made a break for freedom. In the interest of fairness I'll leave the door unlocked to see if he can get out.

So I took a look at the goblin -

Dostngosp Subtledoomed the Future Gill of Jails, Goblin Hammer Lord.

He's raced past recruit Helpkey (taking off a hand), Hammerdwarf Boatsbristle (removing Boatbristle's head in the process) and is being pursued by Mirroredletter (who has hurt his neck).

The chase continues!

Oh and it appears Mirroredletter is an ex-mayor, and has no weapons. Oops.

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 04:22:39 am »

Helpkey has bled to death.
Despite having a mangled head, Boatsbristle is now up and pursuing.

Subtledoomed the HammerLord has run past my traps with few injuries - lightly wounding both arms, left leg, one elbow.
Traps included 4 giant steel axe blades, 2 menacing steel spikes and 1 enormous steel corkscrew.

The goblin hammerlord then approached my secondary trap, and neatly sidestepped it diagonally. (dammit)

MirroredLetter caught up with him, so the hammerlord smashed his leg to pieces and left him bleeding to death in the corridor, blood splattered up the walls. A horse ran towards him (!) - which Subtledoomed smashed so hard it flew down the end of the corridor and died in a heap.

A speartrap moderately wounded Subtledoomed's elbow. Ignoring the pain, he has gone charging down the main workshop corridor, dwarves scattered away from him dropping what they are carrying (other than a poor brewer who had his hand smashed to pieces and then bled to death), whilst I'm trying to get my elite marksmen into place.

Elitemarksmen Arrowplains arrives on scene, and begins opening fire. Manages to hit the hammerlord twice doing bugger all damage before the goblin gets in close range. They wrestle for a bit, then the goblin runs for it, getting shot twice in the back for his troubles.

He's now running through corridors full of fleeing dwarves, smashing a weaver's leg to pulp. A brave guard (Portalblock - legendary speardwarf) engages him, and actually manages to wound his right hand.

Another elite marksman catches up, along with a recruit marksman, and they begin peppering Subtledoomed to death. He loses an ankle, a foot and other damage all over before dropping unconscious and being chopped apart.

Boatsbristle
is somehow alive and moving around (with a mangled head)
Mirrodletter is now in bed (missing a leg)
Daggerroads the guard has a manged lung and wounded spine
Two dogs are missing paws and legs as well.
Somehow a planter died in the chaos as well

Portalblock the Legendary speardwarf has come through with no injuries at all!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 02:54:08 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to throw the goblin into a pit and then flood it (make sure it doesn't spill over the edges)? If he manages to swim, he'll make a nice marksdwarf target, and else he'll drop his weapons for sure. For extra fun, add in a bunch of carps ;)

Nickzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 05:11:56 pm »

I was trying to disarm goblins earlier and found another way.

Sometimes when assigning a creature from one cage to another, the dwarf will take them out the cage and lead them by hand to their new cage. When this happens, you can designate the goblins stuff for dumping in the usual way. (Pressing V then I then enter then D)

I don't understand what makes a dwarf lead the goblin by hand rather than the usual method of cage switching yet though.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 07:45:37 pm »

How can you see that they lead them by the hand? (funny mental image though)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Nickzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 11:44:09 am »

hmm, good point. I can't think what else they'd be led by since there's no rope or anything involved. (as far as I know, anyway.)

DabblingMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 09:14:18 am »

Heh. A simpler method I've used is to have a room above a ramp (so the down-ramp is in the room). Build your occupied cages all about the room, station your soldiers near the ramp, and mark the ramp as a pit; then start chucking goblins into the pit. They get briefly stunned by the fall, so there's little risk so long as you don't try to pit too many at once (and be careful with the axelords, too). In the rare event that one of your peons cancels the pit-animal task, probably because they saw one of the recently-pitted goblins, there's plenty of soldiers at the ready to clean up the mess.

What exactly do you mean by "chucking goblins into the pit"?  Certainly not just thowing the cages away?  Do you have to release the goblins first?

Additionally, has anyone else ever gotten an error message when trying to release goblins that the dwarf doing the releasing "needs empty cage"?
AQUIFERS KILL

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 11:49:50 am »

Am I the only one with a drowning room? Just a small room with two floodgates; one leads your fortress, the other, a river. Build the goblin-cages there, link them up to a switch, release the goblins and fill the room.
Dull, but it does the job.

What an awful lot of sinister google inquiries must end up on this site.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 01:40:57 pm »

May I sig this?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 06:16:18 pm »

Sure.
Just think how many CIA agents and Fox News Reporters hang around this thread[/i].

Angellus

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2008, 02:08:12 am »

Am I the only one with a drowning room? Just a small room with two floodgates; one leads your fortress, the other, a river. Build the goblin-cages there, link them up to a switch, release the goblins and fill the room.
Dull, but it does the job.

I ha... had one ^^
It was just done when I got a goblin raid, in which I made a stupid mistake, allowing a full squadron of goblins fire down upon my peasants, which happened to be everyone's friend, tauntrums, wretched buildings and 102 dwarves later my fortress was ruined :(

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

Heh. A simpler method I've used is to have a room above a ramp (so the down-ramp is in the room). Build your occupied cages all about the room, station your soldiers near the ramp, and mark the ramp as a pit; then start chucking goblins into the pit. They get briefly stunned by the fall, so there's little risk so long as you don't try to pit too many at once (and be careful with the axelords, too). In the rare event that one of your peons cancels the pit-animal task, probably because they saw one of the recently-pitted goblins, there's plenty of soldiers at the ready to clean up the mess.
This thread answers questions I've had for quite some time.  I've added Derakon's idea to the Wiki, giving him credit, as well as clarifying the matter of stripping caged goblins.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 12:32:42 am »

Meh, i don't see why you even want to go through the trouble of disarming them. If you want to kill them then just kill them, i you want to pit them against one of your dorfs in a test of skill, then do that. Whats the point in supposedly testing one against a dorf when you make sure the end result is that the gobo dies anyways via stripping it of its gear?

It gives the dwarfs the chance to gain experience and the enjoyment of killing goblins is enough for me

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 12:54:32 pm »

Fun fact: A properly disarmed and disarmored goblin is only slightly wimpier than a dwarven child and can easily be pitted after a few stubborn attempts.

Sure, they can and often break free and make a run for it. But often enough the dwarf in charge of the procedure will chase down, grab the goblin and drag him kicking and squealing to the ledge and toss him right in.

The rest of the "processing" has been trimmed due to its rather graphic nature. Needless to say, we need a lot of bone bolts in this fortress.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 06:37:06 pm »

ok i dont mean to insult anyone but youve got some pretty wimpy ideas about how to play this game. attach the cage to a lever, pull the lever, and have some marksdwarfs in a big row ready to blow the critter away. or use some fighters and take the tiny risk without the ammo loss. the point in caging a gob is to let a dwarf that doesnt have a happy 'i killed someone' thought get one :)

thats kinda what i do i make an arena and put the suckers in there with a few expendable war dogs XD i also bring in marksdwarfs if the dogs lose the fight which they wont XD

ive tried the dunking in water but i can find a way to get then safly into the water/magma
Pages: 1 [2]