Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Disarming Goblins in cages  (Read 13460 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disarming Goblins in cages
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »

So I know the basics of disarming goblins but I still manage to fail from time to time.

So in an ambush, I managed to capture a couple of goblins. From what I understand the only way to disarm them is to go into the stocks menu and dump all the narrow gear and any weapons that you don't use (I stick to war hammers).

Appearently I failed miserably yesterday and one of my young recruits ended up with a nasty gash on his leg. Is there an easy way to double check what gear a caged creature has? Is there any easy way to see what items are equiped in the stocks menu?

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Disarming Goblins in cages
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:23:09 pm »

ok from what i can decipher from your question. You can always use the "k" key and hover over the creature to check what they're wearing.

as to why your dwarf was injured, try having them spare with armor before you give the little buggers weapons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »

He put the recruit up for a battle with the goblin he thought had been disarmed.  The goblin still had his weapon, and gave the recruit a slice.

I think I remember there being some easier way of removing goblin gear...  Hell if I remember it though.  I haven't worked much with disarming goblins, so I'm not what one would call an expert

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »

I find that a 10 z-level drop is an excellent way of separating a goblin- From it's weapons, too  8)

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:12:24 pm »

Goblin in a cage cannot be inspected by the 'k' function; it will show a goblin cage, as well as the occupant, but cannot examine any deeper than that.

Stocks and using the zoom function to double check are really the only ways i'm familiar with myself... I've taken to placing the cages in my magma tunnel and linking the cage opening to the magma floodgates... the only problem is it leads to melted cages and mechanisms (unless i want to use bauxite mechanisms and the goblins manage to get caught in nickel cages)

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:00:23 pm »

ok i dont mean to insult anyone but youve got some pretty wimpy ideas about how to play this game. attach the cage to a lever, pull the lever, and have some marksdwarfs in a big row ready to blow the critter away. or use some fighters and take the tiny risk without the ammo loss. the point in caging a gob is to let a dwarf that doesnt have a happy 'i killed someone' thought get one :)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:59 pm »

Heh. A simpler method I've used is to have a room above a ramp (so the down-ramp is in the room). Build your occupied cages all about the room, station your soldiers near the ramp, and mark the ramp as a pit; then start chucking goblins into the pit. They get briefly stunned by the fall, so there's little risk so long as you don't try to pit too many at once (and be careful with the axelords, too). In the rare event that one of your peons cancels the pit-animal task, probably because they saw one of the recently-pitted goblins, there's plenty of soldiers at the ready to clean up the mess.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:30:09 pm »

I'm currently training a team of wrestlers in leather armor, I plan to pit them against some of the goblins I've captured, with their weapons and all. Dwarven brawn and agility versus goblin arms and armor!

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:09:43 am »

the point in caging a gob is to let a dwarf that doesnt have a happy 'i killed someone' thought get one :)
No, first you check if any of your dwarves like goblins and then you place one in their room.

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:47:08 am »

Heh. A simpler method I've used is to have a room above a ramp (so the down-ramp is in the room). Build your occupied cages all about the room, station your soldiers near the ramp, and mark the ramp as a pit; then start chucking goblins into the pit. They get briefly stunned by the fall, so there's little risk so long as you don't try to pit too many at once (and be careful with the axelords, too). In the rare event that one of your peons cancels the pit-animal task, probably because they saw one of the recently-pitted goblins, there's plenty of soldiers at the ready to clean up the mess.

Excellent design Derakon! I usually disarm all my goblins via the tedious method, before I add them to my zoo. But this is a much more dwarfly thing to do with goblins than any pansy ass zoo. Bravo.

AWDBall

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 03:51:10 pm »

Wait, why can't they just walk up the ramp again?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 04:03:49 pm »

They can. In fact, they often do. That's when eight soldiers mob them. The point of the ramp is to create a pit that can be easily accessed by the soldiers.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 05:43:22 pm »

I've often found myself frustrated by being unable to properly strip caged goblins/other clothed/armed creatures too. You'd think the 'k' method would work. =/

@coldstone: The point is, just killing them gets boring once you've played the game for a long time. Being able to strip them and then chuck them into the arena, or use them to train wrestlers with less risk of injury, or dumping them deep inside your base and seeing how far they get to escape... those are some fun ideas. There's lots of fun to be had with disarmed enemies; it's why cats toy with their kills. We're just a pack of vicious kittens at heart. :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:02:48 pm »

Fun fact: Cats instinctively hunt. Cats do not naturally kill things; they have to be hungry enough before they'll try. This is why well-fed housecats just play with their food... this means that cats are like dwarves, in that they catch their prey and then:

Cat cancels job: butcher mouse: No room in stomach.

For the record, I tend to trade for wooden cages and then dump them wholesale into the magma pit.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 08:21:22 pm »

Meh, i don't see why you even want to go through the trouble of disarming them. If you want to kill them then just kill them, i you want to pit them against one of your dorfs in a test of skill, then do that. Whats the point in supposedly testing one against a dorf when you make sure the end result is that the gobo dies anyways via stripping it of its gear?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: [1] 2