Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Chinese government listens  (Read 8431 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Chinese government listens
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:07:45 pm »

... or should I say, "is watching"?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7465224.stm

I think it's a good initiative though for the Chinese government, regardless of intent. It's better than being invisible, as they tended to be. I'd be pleasantly surprised if other leaders appeared in message boards and forums to chat for a bit, even if they didn't accomplish anything.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese government listens
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:20:40 pm »

I want to see a McCain vs. Obama flamewar on this forum, right now in this thread.  It will decide my vote.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:22:04 pm »

What about Paul?

(Yes, I'm asking for it.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

Is he even still running?
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:38:34 pm »

Yeah, from the asylum.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:43:02 pm »

Apparently he suspended his presidential campaign eight days ago.  Just found out about it now, when you asked.

He's still the best candidate, in my opinion.  Even if he isn't running.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »

What does he even plan to do?  It seems like every large political discussion has one guy saying he's the best candidate ever.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 06:12:18 pm »

Since some one brought up McCain... I am honestly worried about the people who support him:

http://www.alternet.org/story/88211/?ses=6f32a738c508eba1d4b6043d1f3ab321

But here in the Big Easy, John McCain has chosen this moment to mount his first general-election attack against the Great Satanic Liberal Enemy -- who, as luck would have it, turns out to be a Negro intellectual from Harvard who's never served in the military. And this is supposed to be a bad year for Republicans?

=/

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »

I'm more worried about people who support Obama.  He's been in the senate for what, three years?  He was basically a wallflower in the senate, voted "present" on like half of the issues he could've voted.  He's just a hype machine.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:19:05 pm »

I remember seeing this quote somewhere about how people don't vote to get their representative elected. They vote to make sure the other guy doesn't.

I don't actually have a stance though. A casual observer.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 09:24:24 pm »

In Washington we have a ranked-choice voting system (for the moment). You choose the candidate you really want, but if that candidate isn't elected your vote goes to your second choice.

For example, let's say you know the (liberal type) party won't win, but you really like the party and the candidate. In most cases you might just vote Democrat because you know the candidate has a chance of winning. Well, instead with this system your vote would go toward helping the first choice win, which means your vote is actually doing what it should, but your vote isn't wasted if your favorite doesn't win because you also help your second choice.

This way you avoid disenfranchising the many MANY voters who really don't want either one.

(You should be proud, the example parties I was going to use would have made a lot of people upset and a lot of others laugh and laugh, but I censored myself for forum harmony)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 09:33:07 pm »

If I lived in Washington, I'd probably put McCain as my first choice, and Ron Paul as my second choice, just because he's not Obama.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:36:10 pm »

I was planning on voting Ficus, then Minnie Mouse. Represent.

And it's not for national elections. Just statewide ones.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 10:09:22 pm »

To go completly off-topic yet again, did you ever notice how in America, kids are taught that communism is completly bad without even knowing what it is? Then you eventually figure out in high school that the theory of it really isn't such a bad thing. How is communism viewed in other countries?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 10:18:49 pm »

That pisses me off.  My textbooks rant on and on about the evil of Communism, when really it's mankind's fault.  If mankind were natural good, I think we would naturally tend toward Communism.  We're too greedy.  We want to be equal to everyone else, but we don't want anyone else to be equal to us.

This almost got me expelled.  My classmate lives with his ultra-con Grandpa, who fills his head with his views, and then he comes to school and spouts them off, every time proving he has no idea what he's talking about.  When I asked him what he thought of the smurfs,(the show was an allegory for Communism, everyone was equal, they all worked together for the greater good, Gargamel, who represented capitalism, was always trying to turn them into gold), he said he didn't like their nationalism.LOL.  Anyway, starting to go off-topic with my exposition.  His greatest perceived foe is Communism, and he loves to cite CRIMES BY PEOPLE as reasons that Communism, AN IDEA, is objectively evil.  To get back at him, I became very openly Communist, and even slipped a note from Stalin into his backpack.  At the end, I cited the Book of Acts as evidence that Communism is Biblically supported, and said "BURN!" as in, you got burned.  I forgot to make it past-tense, and he interpreted it as a death threat.  I rolled a 3 on my Fast Talk roll.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3