Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Cheating really does ruin this game.  (Read 5022 times)

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Re: Cheating really does ruin this game.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 12:53:24 am »

The only cheat I use is Dwarf Companion, and the only time I use it is to rectify the broken healing bug (where a wounded guy won't get fed/watered until he just dies, even from relatively minor injuries). I've got no qualms with screwing around, such as resurrecting a dead-from-the-aforementioned-bug chick as a zombie to attack the living, but other than doing things out of the ordinary, there's too much going on as it is to really bother with cheating.
Derp.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 01:16:44 am »

I cheated once, to change the start-up: I had an initial 20 dwarves or so, but something backfired and they all starved. Sometimes cheating makes things harder!

Still no idea how it happened! I went through a LOT of food within a couple months, heheh.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 02:34:30 am »

Most of the time i only use cheats to fix bugs. Sometimes i just go crazy and do something insane involving goblin towers with the max pop set to 5000 and a starting group of 200 legendary axedwarves or something like that.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Zuntir Olan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 06:55:39 pm »

I try to avoid cheating for major things. Unfortunately, my HFS loving baron quite needs his own koi pond. Trying to give him one the hard way without flooding his room would probably end in him being drowned, and we can't have that, now can we?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 09:21:30 pm »

I used regional prospector once or twice, never actually placed a fort that had anything just because I am a strange player who wanted a terrain challenge, like a flat, haunted area with 3 rivers  (*shudder*) for a humie challenge settlement.  Prolly should change my login name to masochist :)  Yeah, losing is fun.  I think.......
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 09:23:02 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 03:15:52 am »

I used regional prospector once or twice, never actually placed a fort that had anything just because I am a strange player who wanted a terrain challenge, like a flat, haunted area with 3 rivers  (*shudder*) for a humie challenge settlement.  Prolly should change my login name to masochist :)  Yeah, losing is fun.  I think.......

Human towns are awesome. More wood, beds, tables and chairs then you'll ever use right from the start as well as immunity to thieves and snatchers untill arround the first siege. And did i mention the free weapons and armor lying arround almost everywhere and dropped by dead guards?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 08:15:44 am »

What is HFS? Is it another name for Adamantium?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 08:41:47 am »

HFS is what you get when you mine out all the adamantine.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 05:06:08 pm »

The thing with cheating is you just have to realise the only balancing force to the game becomes your own willpower. I kinda like that.

My cheating pattern is backwards from OP. I used to go crazy searching my sites for features before building a fortress, then once I found the features, loading from an old save and restarting. Now with Regional Prospector I can choose a site that has what I want, and know I will find the features eventually. Before Tweak, I used the ammo price bug to ensure I could buy everything I wanted after first caravan. Now I tweak my starting equipment to be what I need, without going over the top like I'd be after buying out a few caravans.  I have a cheat that lets me create wood or coke from nothing; these allow me to settle in places without trees or magma and still build the fortress I like (I'm not at a level were I want to be doing treeless challenges, and I find running out of coal and charcoal less than fun); I just don't use the cheats until I've exhausted my supplies of wood or coal veins. Finally the "set all soils to sand" cheat removed my OCD reliance on finding an area with sand.

Kind of interesting that where cheats make some users compulsive about finding the right location, they've made me far more willing to settle places I would never have considered it before.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 05:12:35 pm »

It is used as another name for adamantine, though. It references the dev.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »

I'm with the same stance as Erk. Cheating is in many ways like aspirin. It solves headaches, but if you have no self control, you'll kill yourself.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 06:15:36 pm »

I do some minor cheating.  I use prospector (Though I would be happier if it just told me the stuff was present, not telling me exactly where it is) As an old 2Der it bugs me when I get a site that has absolutely NOTHING on it.

I sometimes use companion,
  • I use it to test new creatures without having to wander the wilderness for days. 
  • Also on occasion I use it when ever I want a real odyssey style heroic guy in the legends for fort engravings.  It looses some of the oomph when You have 6 guys in the legends screen named Bob Heroicawesomes when trying to create an epic style hero for world flavor.
  • Themed games also sometimes use the companion.  Recently I made a fort based on one of the settlements in the BOTG2 thread.  And since the BOTG thread has a hero for every player I buffed up and renamed one of the residents to represent my hero char.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 01:03:51 am »

Yup, I'm with the OP, I don't use cheats. I learned this years ago with games like SimCity (SNES) and such. Just takes the fun away, and you learn very little. Well said about turning games into work.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:43 am »

I cannot disagree more with the general sentiment of this thread.

I cheat. I cheated my ass off. I started with 7 dwarves who were Proficient in damn-near everything (one of them died, heh, in glorious battle, unarmed and unarmored to a freakish critical crossbow hit). I modded my Sandy Loam to give me Sand, and I modded Dwarves' speed to 1, simply so I didn't have to wait FOREVER.

I started with 3,500 units of steel, tower-cap and rough bauxite, as well as a small ton of various cut gems and large gems. Pretty much everything that you could possibly want for a mood, except pig-tail cloth. (And, believe it or not, my lack of such cloth has cost me THREE dwarves already! >_<)

I am having fun. My game is not without challenge, though they're all likely to be of the "whoops, need to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it" type rather than the "DO IT AGAIN, STUPID!" that you get if you fuck up and have to Abandon. I use Dwarf Foreman to put kids to work (primarily for the funny, to have a Legendary Siege Engineer/Siege Operator before he's 10.) Who is to tell me I am having fun wrong? My fun comes in engineering complicated and hideous death-traps - I've got a "Long Corridor of Ballastaic death, and I'm engineering an overhead lava sprinkler system.

I also derive enjoyment simply from giving my dwarves the most awesome living quarters I can furnish them with. Interoir decorating FTW. My Mayor's bedroom has an adjoining bath and privy, with green glass furniture, and an epic Artifact Bucket well.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 01:38:41 am »

Interoir decorating FTW. My Mayor's bedroom has an adjoining bath and privy, with green glass furniture, and an epic Artifact Bucket well.
QFT. Anyway, I don't think anyone is telling you you can't cheat, just agreeing with OP that when they do it they don't have as much fun.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5