Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tooltime  (Read 5169 times)

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tooltime
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »

I propose that tasks use tools as opposed to constructed workshops. Jobs could be sepperated into smaller component tasks like Forging Steel Chest Plate: heating (uses heatsource and tongs), hammering (uses placed anvil and hammer), heating (heatsource again), bending (uses pliers), quenching (uses tongs and liquid filled barrel.)

This system would allow not only for modders to try creating their own jobs by adding a product and then the component tasks and materials required, but would add flavor buy making roiting mobs of tool armed peasantry pitchforking and shoveling goblins (or nobles) to death. Workshops would just be rooms with the necessary tools, furniture (like anvils or spinning wheels) and materials placed inside.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tooltime
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »

Undesirable level of micromanagement required. It would be simpler to just have every craftsdwarf carry a tool appropriate to his trade to use as an impromptu weapon. Even simpler still to just be able to manufacture daggers and have dwarves come by and take them whenever they like, and use them in combat if they have no other melee weapons on hand (obviously, even a miner's pick should superscede dagger).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:48:45 pm »

I like the current workshop system... I don't see a need to change it to what you have suggested.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:16:05 pm »

I recall a post like this a while back. The basic idea of it was to define workshops off furniture or bits of stone/wood if you don't have furniture, like you do a dining room and have dwarfs use tools that they carry around with them. Anvils, fireplaces, pools of lava/water, glass stuff for alchemists, looms, etc. would be built in the room. Multiple dwarfs could work in the same workshop.

The only difference between this and that is the extra jobs. Not too keen on having extra jobs to assign. That seems a bit pointless. Subjobs (You just say "make swords" and your dwarf will putter about the workshop doing all various tasks related to swordmaking) would be better, I think.

The advantages to this is multiple dwarfs using the same shop, custom shaped workshops, and a more realistic worshop setup.

Downsides include slightly more micro when setting up some workshops, needing tools and higher requirements for making workshops.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:33:22 pm »

The reasoning for the subjobs is to give a dwarf the reason to scurry from anvil to toolbench to quench. and to provide a framework for the required materials and tools. The steps would not be intended to make production take any longer or more complex. You would simply select your blacksmith or task menu and FORGE: SWORD (STEEL) and the dwarf would scurry off on his way preforming all the little subtasks automatically, assuming he can find the equipment. If he doen't have everything he needs he would inform you something like CAN"T FORGE STEEL SWORD: WE REQUIRE MORE (specified tool here)

The only reason I mentioned the subjobs is because it would be interesting to mod in new jobs such as for example Musician but adding a (Tool) tag to instruments and the invisible subtasks acquire instrument and play instrument

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:20:27 am »

In the dev notes and such, Toady's stated that workshops will be upgradable or customizable with special tools.   I think this is a good way to add stuff without making a huge glut of micromanagemant.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 01:06:30 am »

Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 01:18:27 am »

And of course, then we can get an unusually tall and thinly-bearded Dwarf who has a penchant for making overly complicated, over-powered devices and hurting himself in the process, but who has amazing regenerative abilities.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:36:50 am »

Dwarves do seem to have a desire for more power.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 06:56:48 pm »

(rise from the grave my friend)

Perhaps another benefit of this would be the ability for adventures to do a little crafting on their own if the tools required are man portable (so no armor forging on the go unless you are truly carrying around a damn anvil.) It would also make looting rather more interesting as more stuff means more trade. Besides it just seems fake somehow to have little buildings inside of buildings.