Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scroll to infinity!  (Read 1421 times)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Scroll to infinity!
« on: June 23, 2008, 03:25:26 pm »

In the 2D version you could scroll in a certain direction to infinity. (And to some surprises :))
While I'm not requesting this for the 3D version, it would be nice if I could scroll a single extra screen in each direction.
The reasons for this is that if you are trying to do stuff on the right most edge of the screen, the screen "snaps" backs and forth as you go from menus that hide the side (so you can move more to the right) and then to no menu (so are your "thrown" to the left). It can also get a bit annoying when you want to concentrate on something that is to the far right and you can't bring it to the center of the screen for more comfortable viewing.
My latest fort is giving me a headache :S

(Yes, I realize this isn't a very critical suggestion, but it's something :))
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scroll to infinity!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:48:21 pm »

Seconded.  I was thinking something like this the last couple days.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »

You can kinda deal with this by making certain that your viewport includes the 'help' pane, since that will keep the viewport from changing size when you change modes. But yes, it'd be nice if this were cleaned up a bit.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:41 pm »

It's a small thing, but it's bugged me too.  Especially with the information density of the screen.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 04:34:26 pm »

I have to add my request that this be done.  Having just the menu displayed on the right and pressing 'q', 't, 'v'. 'k', etc to inteeract with objects tends to set the target point far to the left of the view port when you are at the right most edge.  I would really like to see this closer reflect the center of the area which you are actually viewing.

We shall have to see what exaclty Toady added for cursor memory to determine how imprtant this is.  If he didn't add anything for the main screen then I will remain in a state of highly irrated every time I hit 't', move to workshop, 'space', 'q', and then have to move to the same workshop again.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:57:51 pm »

I can't believe that I didn't think of suggesting this; one of my (relatively) recent forts had a lot going on on the right edge of the map and this drove me nuts!
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:05:13 am »

It should be possible to generate the terain a few squares from yuor selected area away using the seed and aglorythms selected for your world. But that would require your CPU to do some number crunching though.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:32:45 am »

yea, i think thats something more or less important.

the way it is now is just bad design.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:36:51 am »

Or just make it so you don't automatically get the help pane when you start typing commands?

I know the keys I want to use, most of the time, though I keep thinking a well is "o" even though I know that's a road.

That would solve your snapping issue, wouldn't it?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:42:04 am »

If you don't show the help pane, how will we see the items or orders in the building?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 11:53:45 am »

Tab still turns it on, just don't have it pop up automatically.

I like it, simple... elegant...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 12:36:45 pm »

Align means when you're choosing what material to use for the building.  THAT most definately needs the "help pane."

The whole reason I keep it open all the time is because of the jumping around.