Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WoW Dwarves  (Read 5275 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WoW Dwarves
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:06:16 pm »

I know, I know...World of Warcraft is a swear-word to DF fans, but hey, it can be a minor distraction sometimes can't it?  ;)

Does anyone play on WoW private servers?  I have been playing on "Burning WoW", a free private server that includes the Burning Crusade expansion.  The server is pretty stable, has low crash rates, and has a pretty good community.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be cool to start a Role-Playing Dwarf community on their server.

They have 3 servers.  I play mostly on "BloodMyst" because the xp/gold rate is nearly identical to Blizzard's rates and the players seem a little more mature than their high xp/rate server. 

If you've never played on a private server before, it's very easy: Follow the instructions here.  Private Servers usually have a few more bugs than retail, but nothing that will really ruin the fun.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WoW Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

I don't play. I play RuneScape, the other swear word.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: WoW Dwarfs
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:22:38 pm »

I'll only play on a private server that doesn't use BC.

What got me playing WoW were my friend's stories of his guild raiding MC and then BWL, moving up through the raids.  It sounded awesome, and it's what made me want to play.  I got to 60 about three months after BC came out.  Not only did it make the old raids(And even level 60 non-raids, I spent over a week trying to get a group for Scholomance.)  it ruined my guy. 

This is me before BC:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, I did solo that giant.

This is me after:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/1/2/  Third panel:  I'm not joking, that's pretty close to how I looked.

The Dark Stalker had my first decent looking robe, and its arena is so small it evades away if you're more than like five feet away from it.  A quest in BC gives less than half of a bar of experience, which means you have to grind more than [Insert Something Witty Here].  I got to level 64 before I just said "screw it" and stopped playing.  I didn't even have my epic mount(My group leader kicked me out WHILE WE WERE FIGHTING IMMOL'THAR)  He wiped though, so ha on him.

This is my guy on the Armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Muffles

I haven't played in months.  It sucks too, because I had really cool friends on WoW.

Helmaroc.  You sure are a trooper.  I'm not even mad, I'm impressed.  A non-stupid person playing RuneScape must have the willpower of a God.
Shoes...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »

Honestly, I haven't even played WoW long enough to do any late-game BC stuff, so I wouldn't know the difference.  I just think that the new options and the new landmasses adds more options to the game so that's why I like playing on a BC server.  More content (usually) = better.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:59:15 pm »

I will admit, Hellfire Peninsula is very cool looking, but everything else about BC sucks.  There is no reason, beyond fun and nostalgia, to play anything high level that was in before BC.

That gets rid of:

Stratholme, Scholomance, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Naxxramas, Onyxia's Lair, Upper/Lower Blackrock Spire, AQ20, AQ40, the Feralas dungeon(I don't even remember what it's called, I didn't even know it existed until I had to do it for my epic mount THAT I DIDN'T GET.)
EDIT: Some clarification.  While there is the fun and nostalgia factor here, I can assure you that NO ONE PLAYS ANY OF THESE DUNGEONS ANYMORE.  I found one raid, it was just a 20-man though, and there were like five griefers just there to screw with people.

In my month or so in Outland, the only fun dungeon I played was the Underbog, because the bosses were all very cool looking.  I've never finished a raid, and only participated in two(AQ20, we wiped on the final boss; and Grull's Lair, it was a Test Server, and it went down in the middle of fighting the first boss[es])

Looking at that screenshot of me and the giant gave me a big blast of nostalgia.  I had so much fun before I got to Outland, and it took probably two weeks of Outland before I was having no fun at all, and just counting the days until I reached 70.  When I hit a spot where I didn't have any completable quests, and would have to grind or do the boring, lame instances to get more quests, I couldn't handle the prospect, and just let my account run out.  That screenshot is like a picture of a newlywed couple on their honeymoon, before they start fighting so loud the neighbors can hear.

But enough about my disillusionment.  What class/race/level/talent build are you?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:09:02 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:13:48 pm »

That gets rid of:

Stratholme, Scholomance, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Naxxramas, Onyxia's Lair, Upper/Lower Blackrock Spire, AQ20, AQ40, the Feralas dungeon(I don't even remember what it's called, I didn't even know it existed until I had to do it for my epic mount THAT I DIDN'T GET.)

I see what you mean.  Although, I don't think that would bother me because when I play games I usually play them for the experience, not really because I want to find the best way to win so I can compete with other guilds, etc.  I would probably still go through those places just to experience it and see the creatures and artwork even if I knew there was a place where I could earn more XP.

I have played a human, blood elf, and a night elf before.  I only ever got to about level 28 one time before I wanted to start playing as something else.  I usually play a Rogue, but I also like Paladins and Warlocks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:18:16 pm by lumin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

I was like that a lot, until something happened that made me go Warlock-centric, I think it was the time I soloed Lord Azrethoc(Level 41? Elite Doom Guard) at level 38.  He dropped like five copper, but the joy of doing that on my own was what made it good.  I also have a level 32 Orc Warrior, but he kind of sucked.  He had like 15s and barely passable equipment.

Argh...  This is making me want to play WoW again.  I might have to join you on that private server, but I'm not joining any RP guilds.  How many people play it?  If you play your Warlock, go put all your talents into Affliction until you get Shadow Mastery, and then put the rest in Destruction, up to Ruin.  When I used that build, I was number 1 for damage dealt on almost every BG I played.
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:55:18 pm »

I used to love WoW. Had some great fights with guilds I joined. Then BC came out and they had so massively nerfed warlocks that I couldn't do any sort of pvp with my 60 lock/engineer. Still, if someones setting up a dwarf RP guild in a private server, I might give it a shot. Miss that lock. Had the flame deflector schematic from gnomer and was the only person on the server who could make em.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:59:17 pm »

I think I've still got my 60-70ish Ranger on Burning WoW. I don't like rangers, though, and pets in Burning WoW were massively weak.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 04:05:02 pm »

Weak pets are a good thing.  Beast-Mastery hunters are the easiest class in the game.  The only time you lose in PvP is when you miss the keyboard slamming your head into it.
Shoes...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:00:45 pm »

Ok well i almost got the installer downloaded then the install and I'm in. Whats your name on that bloodmyst server?

Edit: grr still got another 3.5 gigs to DL. Didnt realize the DL on their page was only for BC.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 08:52:19 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 12:28:43 am »

I would probably still go through those places just to experience it and see the creatures and artwork even if I knew there was a place where I could earn more XP.

Even if you want to, the problem is that no one else does.  The pre-BC raids need 40 people, and it's borderline impossible to find that many that are willing to do a raid just for nostalgia.  The greens in Hellfire Peninsula are better than pre-BC's raiding gear, and you get virtually no XP in a raid, so no one wants to spend time doing something that provides virtually no gain.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 01:23:38 am »

I know a modeler who works on WoW.  That's about as close to playing it as I ever got.

Well, that and playing the level provided in the Halloween special patch for Warcraft 3.

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 01:35:05 am »

This reminds me of my stints on "pirate" wow servers as player/gm/dev/support/destroyer...
fun stuff...
DF "like" wow servers have been made before...
cant remember any still up though...
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39:36 pm »

I don't get how you could possibly run out of quests getting to 70. I'm at 70 and I still have an entire zone uncompleted.

World of Warcraft is one of the best games I have ever played, especially with the Burning Crusade.
I eagerly await Northrend too.
Pages: [1] 2 3