Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: WoW Dwarves  (Read 5270 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: WoW Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 06:38:46 pm »

My problem with WoW is that all my friends play way more then I do, so I'm not 70 yet and have no one to quest with. Which is the only reason I got into the game in the first place.

And, really, why play WoW as a solo game when I've got Dwarf Fortress? I mean, it's not even a contest on which is more fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 06:48:19 pm »

World of Warcraft is one of the best games I have ever played, especially with the Burning Crusade.

Compared to what?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »

Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 10:00:46 pm »

I love that game. When you play Big Rigs, Your Winner!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 05:11:06 am »

I lost all interest in mermorpergers a while ago.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:21 am »

I enjoyed many things about WoW - the setting, music, freedom of movement, exploration... but the actual gameplay was usually not one of them.

Still listen to the soundtrack though, thanks to the extractor. Most of it is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:34:45 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 10:41:28 am »

I lost all interest in mermorpergers a while ago.

I never was interested.  I always imagined them to be mostly the worst aspects of the bad MUDs I've played on, except with eye candy and more stupid people.  Who you can't get rid of because they paid money for it.
Most depictions of MMORPGs I've seen tend to suggest this is true.  I'd much rather roleplay for real on a MUCK.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 03:31:28 pm »

I must agree that there are an overabundance of stupid people especially in leadership roles of guilds. Still there are some good people on the servers and I would expect the private servers to have a slightly better porportion of idiots to non idiots. Still like anything else best thing to do with them is to just ignore em while if possible completly destroying all respect and authority they have within their guild.  ;D

Edit: 3 days of almost constant downloading and patch applying finally got it going. So who is what.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:43:51 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »

Sure I want to play WOW for free, no I won't do it if it's illegal or contravenes the licensing agreement.

Anywho, my lock just hit 60 this weekend. Whoopee!

Does anyone else have one character of every class sitting gathering rested status and birthday presents?  ::)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 09:17:31 pm »

Congrats.  Now you just need to hit 70. That is an interesting talent build.  You seem more set up for destruction then demonology though. With your int a crit based destro build will greatly increase your dps and you will be able to maintain it for far longer periods thanks to life tap. I would reccommend going to ruin on destro tree and shadow mastery on affliction making sure to get soul siphon siphon life and nightfall on affliction.  This will give you instant shadowbolts while using drain life and if you happen to crit with one which would happen about 17ish% of the time it will increase even more the damage you do.

Yes I have spent FAR too much time studying the talent builds on locks. Note that if you choose to get pyroclasm and intensity you can tank non end game raids if there are a pair of healers healing you.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 01:09:31 am »

I agree that going through those old dungeons was fun, however, wow's combat is not fun (by my standards at least). I think that for a 3rd person game's combat to be fun, it should include you actually making the movements yourself or at least, you being able to press different buttons and input combinations (even if they aren't hard.) To best illustrate this point, I think that all classes in wow should play more or less like the rogue. Even the rogue isn't as fun as simply riding around and hacking people with swords in mount and blade. The image I have in my head when I think of WoW is the mage just standing there with his arms out and flames coming out of his hands and just.... standing there for a while.... then suddenly this pooey little flame ball plods along the screen at an enemy.

There were really some great atmospheric aspects of the game, but I think it ultimately falls short in many important ways.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 04:25:18 pm »

I played until this raid I was on, those eggs had given us a lot of trouble in the past, and this guy pretty much ruined it for all of us. And we were going in for devout shoulders for him!

He needed them for more mana so he'd be able to heal better.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 05:08:59 pm »

The reason, I think, for why so many people love WoW is not so much for the actual gameplay.  I think people play just for the competition of trying to be better than everyone else or showing off.  Imagine WoW as a single-player game, who would really play it?

This is why I have a hard time understanding people when they talk about WoW like it's some sort of Math class.  I just don't think it's all that much fun to try to get the best stuff so I can whoop everyone in a raid or in an arena.  Or "skip" areas of the game because the XP isn't as good as new BC content.

I've never had the "competitive" bug.  I love games for the ride, not for the destination.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 05:31:19 pm »

I tried the free trial of WoW and my overall opinion of it was "meh" there wasnt anything i could put my finger on as being massively bad but there was nothing i could find i really enjoyed.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 06:05:11 pm »

The problem with trials is that it doesn't let you play the newer, more interesting parts of the game. The trial is for stuff done back in 2004.

:|
My dwarves are not your dwarves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3