Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2  (Read 10413 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Neverwinter Nights 2
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:26 pm »

I got this game a few months ago, but for some reason I got bored of it a few days later.  This same thing happened when I played Titan Quest, and I later reinstalled it and got pretty far before I stopped playing again.  I'm now reinstalling it, and I'm probably going to start a new character.

Does anyone here play it, or have any suggestions for a fun character?  My last guy was a Warlock, and I got to the part where there are bandits and mercenaries and stuff everywhere, and you're in the docks of Neverwinter. 

Forgot, Description for who's never played.
It's pretty much like every other Bioware RPG, but in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting, where you get like fifty guys in your party but only three of them stay with you at any time, the rest being content to sit somewhere and do nothing.  While it has a WoW-style third-person camera, it's only useful when you're alone.  Later in the game you will die over and over because you can't see.  It's a good idea to switch to the Baldur's Gate-style camera as soon as you get your first extra party-member.

There's a multiplayer mode, but I didn't see much of it.  I only played a few times, and it was always persistent worlds, not the main campaign.  The persistent worlds I played weren't very good, and now that I think of it, playing those is what got me bored of the game.  Perhaps the campaign multiplayer is better.

It has a crafting system, but I never used it when I played, so I don't know much about it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 02:51:34 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter Nights 2
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:12:13 pm »

NWN2 wasn't developed by Bioware, but by Obsidian.  Same with KotOR 2.  I find it mind numbingly boring but apparently the expansion pack is really good.  There's also a Planescape mod coming out for it which looks like it could be worth reinstalling it for.

Also, I know this is nitpicking but a Bioware game taking place in the Forgotten Realms isn't exactly unheard of...  Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and NWN 1 all took place in FR.  Then they made KotOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect.  So it's three out of six.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 03:18:02 pm »

I forgot that BG1/2 were made by Bioware, oops.

Is Obsidian part of Bioware, or did Bioware distribute/produce the game or something?  NWN2 is on the Bioware site, and Bioware is in the list of developers/publishers on the box.

EDIT: Geez, I forgot how long it takes to patch.

EDITEDIT:  It's still going.  Is a stable game really worth all of this patching?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:12:21 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:56 pm »

Well NWN 1 and Kotor 1 were made by Bio, then I guess they gave Obsidian the job of developing the sequels.  Obsidian has allot of former Bioware / Black Isle employees I think.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:00:53 pm »

Titan Quest is a clone of Diablo II with some fancy visuals, and NWN was something of a let-down.  I can't imagine the sequel being much better, but then again I haven't played it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:01:54 pm »

Titan Quest is fun, and Neverwinter Nights is fun too, although KotoR was a lot better.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:10:59 pm »

Yeah, Neverwinter Nights...  Where everyone had a funky run, the swords were inspired by Japanese anime, and multiplayer was dominated by hackers.  I was so excited about the game when I got it, I was expecting a new Baldur's Gate with enhanced visuals. 

The most fun I had in that game was with the editor.  I was making a dungeon for my dad to play through a while back, where you had four sections of four levels each, and on the third level there was a teleport leading back to the town.  I never finished it, but I've got it sitting around here somewhere...

I made my own fun.  The editor was the brightest point of that game, because it let you find ways around the lackluster "native" NWN.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:25:15 pm »

Now I can't resist commenting on Kagus' NWN 1 experience, so I'll take the risk of going somewhat off the topic.

Nope. I never found the single player campaign that enjoyable. The multi player is what keeps that game on my hard drive. It's still pretty popular considering the age of NWN, and it's also one of the few games where a good amount of the players seem to be more interested in role play than making a maximized killing-machine out of their character. I personally haven't had any trouble with 'hackers', but then again I frequent only heavily moderated role playing servers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:27:02 pm by Jusal »

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:32:16 pm »

I bought NWN1 and NWN2.  NWN2's campaign had a better storyline, but the game ran so slowly on my machine, I just gave up on trying to play it.   I did like the fact that diplomacy mattered more in NWN2.  You could get through just about every boss fight by being friends.

NWN1 was fun.  I downloaded an awesome "random dungeon' script that I imported into my own maps.  It allowed you to spawn random creatures, treasure, and objects on a set time frame.  I had a 10 level deep Diablo clone made.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:33:14 pm »

Well, that would probably be the reason why.  The hackers tended to hang out on the hacker servers, particularly those where item level restrictions had been turned off.

With one hit from one of those weapons, you'd get simultaneously hit with eight magic missiles, five different versions of "dispel magic", a fire arrow, mummy's rot, lesser planar binding, and a poison that deals 1d6 charisma damage.  And this from a gnome that's wearing full plate mail that has two colors, black alpha and white alpha.

Sure, it's possible to make similar weapons using just the editor, but these were actually made through hacking.  I guess they felt it took too long to do everything yourself.

Yeah, multiplayer never really clicked for me...   I guess I just didn't find the right place.  In any case, I'll have to agree with you on the campaign.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 05:38:11 pm »

I hated almost everything about NWN2. The generic story, the generic characters (well, except for the dwarf who wanted to be a monk.... hehehe), the awful camera, the boring magic system, the boring "point-and-click" combat, the idiotic world map system, the linearness, bla de bla de bla...

I have a friend who absolutely loved it though. I can't fathom why. He only brings up how he pimped out his castle over and over again.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:43:41 pm »

I agree that it wasn't what I expected, for some reason I kept imagining a Morrowind-esque open world in the D&D setting.  I still remember my disappointment when I first left the town and tried to leave the road to fight some monsters.  Invisible walls FTL.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 06:00:43 pm »

I liked making rather open-ended areas...  Took me ages to do, and lining up the various connections points was a major pain (yeah, I'd do that.  I'd draw a grid on some paper and mark what terrain I used for a particular square on each tile so I could do the same on the other side.  I also made sure the area sizes would match up, of course).

Couple that with my tendency to add secret areas, random useless peasants with funny dialogue, and custom monsters with informative descriptions (not to mention the unique items with full historical backgrounds), mapmaking was a rather lengthy process for me. 

And then my hard disk went funky and I lost half of everything I did, thus forcing me to trash the other half.  Luckily, my multi-tiered dungeon thingy was started after that.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 06:03:08 pm »

I personally thought that the game sucked until I got the patch... But the combat always feels unbalanced for me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 12:44:47 am »

Khelgar's starting to piss me off.  I'm a paladin, and we're in the Lizardman cave.  Every encounter has been as follows:

1. I swing and miss.
2. Khelgar swings, hitting and doing a million or so damage.
3. Khelgar great-cleaves through the rest of the group.
4. Fight ends.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5