Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2  (Read 10429 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter Nights 2
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »

I'm making a dungeon with the toolset, and it hasn't crashed once.  It's also very intuitive, I barely had to look at the online help at all.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 08:00:17 pm »

Were you playing with custom portraits? I hear that can crash the DM client.

We were playing soon after it was released. A lot of folks had trouble with the toolset and DM client then.

The ui modification you posted is so much nicer than the default. I'm tempted to install it again :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:04:30 pm by Wiles »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2008, 01:13:07 pm »

Yeah my first impression of NWN2 was "why did they bundle this 2.2gb or so(unzipped) patch instead of splitting it up" because for some strange reason my machine was having trouble with that. Plus the next bunch of other patches which took just as long.

One new computer later, with a nicer video card so I could actually PLAY the game once installed, I try again. Um, okay, so it looks crappy on my midrange video card, far worse than NWN1 does on the same card. Good job?

Next, I realized that while the tiles looked nicer, and there was more variety, but there were a lot of places I expected to be able to walk but I couldn't. Still can't hop over a short slit-rail fence. Still can't interact with your environment. Still can't climb walls.

Quake came out 12 years ago. It featured jumping.
Fighting Force came out 11 years ago. It had decent environmental interaction.
Daggerfall came out 12 years ago. It had wall climbing.

That's what I thought about when I played NWN2. I don't care how nice the scale armor looks. I can has a good game now plz?

I continued.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Crafting seemed lame. Especially since your skill points could be spent far more usefully on virtually anything else. Tumbling, for example.

Ranged weapons are still useless unless you have an interceptor to take aggro.

And I was severely disappointed that the warlock's melee eldritch blast shape was so useless. For those who don't know, in NWN2 you have to activate your melee blast, which is then used on the very next melee attack. But this means you spend two rounds getting off one good attack. Admittedly it would have been too good if you got it on every attack, but the answer there is to reduce the blast damage when using the melee shape.

Anyway, it was just kind of funky.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. So meh. It's sitting on my drive until I need the space, because I don't feel like spending god knows how long uninstalling it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2008, 03:02:14 pm »

You know it just gets ridiculous when a level 2 common thug has an AC of 20 O_o...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2008, 05:43:58 am »

This game is a real stinker!

The plot is bland. The characters are one dimensional. The writing and dialogue are laughably bad.

The writers don't seem to be capable of subtlety, either. I picked the background trait troublemaker and all I heard from everyone I talked to in the first town was "blah blah blah, you're such a troublemaker, blah blah blah".  :D

I couldn't stomach anymore and uninstalled it when I made it to Highcliffe village.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2008, 05:50:25 am »

A shame.  If that's the only problem you had with it you'd be happy to know that the background you choose only has an effect in the first town.  After that it's just a stat change.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2008, 06:21:46 am »

A shame.  If that's the only problem you had with it you'd be happy to know that the background you choose only has an effect in the first town.  After that it's just a stat change.

It wasn't just one thing I didn't like. It was the whole game up until I quit. The gameplay wasn't all that entertaining to me - I would have stuck it out if the story was good. But it wasn't.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2008, 06:55:20 am »

*ragequit during tutorial section*

Wow. You have no patience.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 06:57:27 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2008, 07:07:55 am »

blah blah blah

Wow. You have no patience.

What does patience have to do with it? I enjoy dialogue in a video game, if it's good. In Neverwinter Nights 2 it is not good. It reads like they tasked one of their staff guys who has absolutely no experience in writing to do all their story and dialogue for them. It's just plain bad. I'm not going to play a game that I don't like. I play games for entertainment, and if it's not entertaining I don't have time for it.

EDIT: I didn't quit during the tutorial. Admittedly I didn't play for long, but that's because I didn't like the game. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:12:14 am by Wiles »

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2008, 09:10:06 am »

The part you stopped playing at is still the beginner's area, like only an hour or so into the game.

Anyways, the main draw of both games in this series has never been the original campaign... it is the expansions, community content and multiplayer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:14:05 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

Yeah - it was early in the game, but things didn't seem to be getting any better. This is my second time playing the game. I've had it since it came out. I don't think I bothered going much further the first time around. I had stopped playing online when my friends quit. It was kinda buggy then. The only problem I ran into this time was that if I try to play online without turning my firewall off the game locks up and I need to manually turn off my computer. It would be nice if they added a feature that would let you know if you have the proper files to connect to a server, and if not tell you what you need.

I have very fond memories of online play with the first game. I'm sure there is a lot of fun to be had in #2 online as well. It would have been nice if they put some more effort into the main campaign, though.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 12:29:02 pm »

Oh yes. And I couldn't get online with it no matter how hard I tried.

And did it seem to everyone else that the best character was still a Fighter with high Strength and a two-handed sword or axe?

Spellcasters just never seem as survivable or useful in computer games because you can't be creative enough in the game to use them at full effectiveness.

Party Leader: "We need to go all the way around this 20' canal of swamp because it's full of poisonous leeches. It will take all day, but there's no choice guys!"
Wizard: "Oh that's okay I'll just Lightning Bolt it a couple times and we can wade across. Or use my cold-variant Flaming Sphere that I was clever enough to research a while back to freeze it so we can walk across. Or heck, I can just ferry everyone across one by one with Fly or Levitation and a rope."
Developer: -_- "That shaves off an hour of exciting gameplay*"

*Exciting gameplay such as killing 400 lizardmen in a row and picking up 80 low level medkits
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 01:44:08 pm »

I have two copies of this game (bundled with video cards) and it is just so very annoying. It turns D&D into a blandfest of ordinary videogaming, with bad voice acting, bad dialog, bad graphics (or at least unnecessary lag. I get better framerates in Crysis.) and overall dull dullness. What they should do is just build a perfect platform for over-the-internet D&D playing, wherein the DM is given a near infinite variety of storytelling tools and things, and people just build their own games. Is there something like this on the market already?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 01:58:22 pm »

Fantasygrounds, OpenRPG, there was another one, I can't remember what it was called, but I'm pretty sure it's dead, there's a commercial one coming out that was made by Wizards.  OpenRPG is free, Fantasygrounds isn't, but Fantasygrounds looks incredible, and from what I saw of the demo, is really high quality.
Shoes...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »

I lost interest in this game pretty quickly. After the cringeworthy scene of the dwarf and that stupid sorceress girl have a pointless insult-a-thon, where the dwarf happily exclaims "omg you're not so bad you can insult for lols!" I just turned the thing off. Now I can't even remember what bland and unremarkable chore of the Main Quest I was doing, so I can't ever go back to play it.

Mechanically, the game is alright... it's just that the quests feel more like Work than Fun. And the characters are so utterly annoying.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5