Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Neverwinter Nights 2  (Read 10415 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Neverwinter Nights 2
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2008, 07:25:59 pm »

I did always feel like the combat was almost a chore, now that I think of it.  Something about it just wasn't fun like some of the older D&D games.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2008, 07:59:35 pm »

Well for one thing the fast paced real time with pause really discourages strategy.  There's also the fact that resting takes about ten seconds but does more than a full day of rest in D&D and any other D&D CRPG besides NWN1.  Also NWN2 has less interesting combat animations than NWN1 since the two fighters no longer sync up when parrying and stuff.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2008, 08:54:58 pm »

Yeah, the resting thing really bugged me.  What's the point of having a druid for h33lz(Which is apparently a word, according to Firefox) when you can just kill the monster and wait five seconds to heal?
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2008, 09:09:05 pm »

Healing in combat I guess.  Oh that reminds me...  Party members in NWN 2 only die if the plot calls for it.  If they get killed in combat they just come back to life with one hit point at the end.  The Raise Dead and Resurrection spells are still in the game, only now they take about one round to cast each since they're only useful in combat.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2008, 10:06:49 am »

It's super effective!
Khelgar has fainted!
Choose a better game ... ?

The video game they make for D&D4E will probably be a perfect representation of the system.  :'(
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2008, 10:32:06 am »

I can't even remember whether I played NWN or NWN2, but I lost interest right about the time I found that dying had bassically no effect at all, you just got resurrected and telelported back to where you were.  My suspension of disbelief pretty much went out of the window right there.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2008, 10:38:37 am »

Permadeath servers can be good. :p
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2008, 11:29:58 am »

Well maybe not permadeath, but at least something.

Regardless, you'll typically just reload from a previous save if you die and suffer some penalty. Which suggests that the only failure is that which you accept, and so the game becomes an exercise in continual advancement. Unlike in real life or a pen and paper RPG, where sometimes a setback happens but you just have to move on, a computer game without permadeath means death has no effect at all.

It's like when you get a save point, then a long cutscene you can't skip, then a boss fight. The cutscene in that case is only a punishment for dying, and it's the only punishment.

I think a permadeath server would need to include a way to use Raise Dead still. Like if you died, you would leave a body that could be looted, and it could be buried by some other player for a piety benefit. If you get buried, your buried corpse leaves a tombstone that can be raised by a Cleric within a couple days realtime. The problem there is that once a player gets to level 9 Cleric, he can raise his own characters anytime he likes.

D&D 1E and 2E had a system where you could be raised only a number of times equal to your CON score. After that you couldn't be raised. And you had a chance of failing to raise, which meant regardless of your number of chances left you were perma dead. And there was a time limit for the lower-level version of the spell (I don't recall if Resurrection had a time limit) so you couldn't raise someone dead for a thousand years.

I think the WOW system of equipment degradation is funky. EVE is harsh but that's how it would work - you lose whatever equipment you had on you, your ship you were flying, and any knowledge gained since your last clonal "backup". The old Car Wars had clones and used the same system EVE used.

Ultima Online just made you a ghost if you died, and you had to be raised by someone with a spell or travel to a healer or resurrection ankh - usually far away in a town. By the time you return, your body and your loot has decayed or been stolen. But there's no penalty for being raised by a friend right there.
Or, if you wanted to be sent home, you would lose a bunch of stat and skill points as a resurrection penalty, and of course you'd have to get back to your corpse in time to pick up your stuff. But because the trip is one-way, you're more likely to get there in time.

One problem with NWN is that it's, like the FF style JRPGs, a story completion game rather than an RPG. You are not playing a role, you're just following along with a character who is already scripted out. In some places this is made painfully obvious:

Dialogue: "Do you want to come with me to the castle?"
(Yes) "OK, let's go!"
(No) "Oh you're making me sad, stop joking!" (Return to Dialogue and ask again)

So if your character dies, the story can't continue along without him because they didn't specifically write that into the story. Except, off the top of my head, Chrono Trigger, FF7, Planescape: Torment. Again, these games predicted a death and built in a way to deal with it. But only in the last case is it a general usage in all deaths - the other two have specifically scripted death scenes and if you lose a battle otherwise you just get the game over screen.

In a true RPG, representing a world and letting you play in it, having a character die is not a problem because you can jump in with someone else and keep playing. Maybe not the same story, but maybe you do actually pick up the same quest. Example:

You roll up a farmer. You do a little farming, marry a cute girl in town, but goblins attack and destroy a few houses. You decide to grab an axe and stalk them until you can pick them off when they're alone. You realize this is pretty fun, so you leave the farm to your brother and wander off in search of adventure. Besides, you're tired of the Harvest Moon activities :P

Your adventurer later dies. Oh well. But you can now choose to play someone he encountered along the way, and if you do the game generates a connection to the death of the adventurer. Let's say you choose to play the wife. You control her as your character, and receive a letter stating that a traveling priest had found the corpse and inquiries led them to the farm. You could go out adventuring with her using the magic sword your old adventurer carried (assuming the priest didn't loot the body), you could pick up the priest as a henchman, you could convince the priest to take you to his monastery where you can become a nun. Whatever.

Point is, if the game is robust enough, and is actually an RPG, death isn't the end of the game and needn't be avoided.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2008, 05:49:33 pm »

NWN 1 had sort of death, in that your henchman/woman could die and would then be transported to a temple where you had to pick them up, and if you died you got transported back there as well.  KotOR, however, and Obsidian's sequels all used the JRPG style of, if any of your characters die in battle they instantly come back to life at the end unless you get TPKed in which case it's game over.  Anyone know if Mass Effect is like that too?

On the subject of a permadeath server, why not make the Raise Dead spell work something like this?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2008, 06:15:26 pm »

I think a permadeath server would need to include a way to use Raise Dead still. Like if you died, you would leave a body that could be looted, and it could be buried by some other player for a piety benefit. If you get buried, your buried corpse leaves a tombstone that can be raised by a Cleric within a couple days realtime. The problem there is that once a player gets to level 9 Cleric, he can raise his own characters anytime he likes.

I thought they did? 'Permadeath' refers to the lack of a respawn option.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:17:16 pm by Red Jackard »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:44 am »

Oh I always connect "permadeath" with "if it happens, it happens, and you cannot change it".

For example, when you die the game immediately flags your character as dead and unplayable. But you could just backup the file where that's saved, or the game's folder if you didn't know which file it was. The game could always hide the character save data, but then you wouldn't be able to play from a flash drive since the data would be hidden somewhere on the computer used to play it.

So yeah, just that from my opinion there is nothing harsher than "permadeath" except maybe that the game uninstalls when you die >:[]

As for the d20 system raise dead spell, I never knew it worked like that. When we played 3E we started out looking everything up but it's so easy to just assume it works the same way it did in 2E :/
d20 system: Death = loss of one level and puts you out of action unless you also get a restoration spell for your stats (which is almost a guaranteed if you're getting a raise). Also, even True Resurrection cannot raise you from death by old age. So there would eventually be a true permadeath.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 12:05:04 pm »

No... I've played on a few different permadeath servers. This is how it typically works:

They remove the respawn, instead having your character fall unconscious at 0HP and start bleeding to death. NPCs will ignore you and there is a possibility of slow recovery on your own, but players can also stabilize you with a First Aid check. If you do die by reaching -10HP, your character is transferred to a 'morgue' area and a corpse placeable is created with all of your equipment. Players can then choose to move your corpse, rob your corpse, cast resurrection spells or mutilate the corpse.

And of course if you die to a bug you normally get a tech rez.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:10:11 pm by Red Jackard »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 12:12:16 pm »

That's cool. I played a couple NWN1 servers that were like that. You kind of have to disable the respawn or playing with other people gets kind of funky.

I just meant that I wouldn't call that permadeath, I'd call it something else, because it's not really a permanent death. After all, true permadeath is rather unpopular.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 06:24:38 pm »

It's perma-death in the same way as D&D perma-death.  You die and stay dead unless someone uses a spell to bring you back to life.  Of course the real Raise dead spell requires 5000 GP to use, so raising is only common at higher levels.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:34 pm »

I just meant that I wouldn't call that permadeath, I'd call it something else, because it's not really a permanent death. After all, true permadeath is rather unpopular.

Well, just saying. "No respawn" is what it means to everyone that plays the game - these servers are usually trying to emulate the paper and pencil version of the game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:58:47 pm by Red Jackard »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]