Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bug: All Invaders Defeated, Siege Has Not Lifted  (Read 43700 times)

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug: All Invaders Defeated, Siege Has Not Lifted
« on: June 25, 2008, 04:53:40 pm »

So I wiped out the invading armies... and then continued play as normal... 2 years passed and I was like "WTF where are the traders? Migrants!?"

... and then I noticed the "SIEGE" title was still on... despite having cleared everything...

Is this a fixable bug or is my fort essentially screwed?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Bug: All Invaders Defeated, Siege Has Not Lifted
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 05:47:52 pm »

Use Dwarf companion - check to see that they're all really dead...

If one got stuck in a wall somehow...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:11:40 am »

So you really have no goblins on your unit list?  That's bizarre.  Have you modified your game in any way?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug: All Invaders Defeated, Siege Has Not Lifted
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 08:03:09 am »

There are no goblins, trolls, etc... at all... not even so much as a kobold thief...

My game is unmodded and I do not use any utilities at all, it's just the plain ol' Dwarf Fortress... yo-gurt-oh!

Though I am contemplating using a utility to end the siege so I can trade again. I had been appeasing my nobles reasonable demands for sterling silver and various other things through imported bars and raw materials... and after such a long "siege" ... it's beginning to result in jail time for my peasantry ;)

IMO - Sieges should result in milder punishments at the very least!

Dwarf Companion... does this allow you to end a siege?

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »

Any goblins sitting around in cages? I think that confused my game once in regards to a siege ending. Though I'd think after two years you'd have disposed of them all.

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:11:11 pm »

No cage traps at all, I thought that might be it, too... (because at one time I *DID* use cage traps, but I got tired of gazelles and warthogs walking into them, was nice though because I had a few tame cheetahs, but no one wanted to buy them so I made them into purses) ... :)

===

I looked into utilities and none of them had a way to end a siege so it looks like I may be screwed as far as my fort goes, which is a shame since it had excellent economic balance, reasonable nobles, a fine mayor, and siege/population balance with my firebreathing trolls... I'd surge to ~150 pop every year, and 20 or so to fires in sieges, so I was bouncing 125-150 for several years in a row.

Oh well :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:41:52 pm »

Try installing DC and using it creature list to see if there are any hidden goblins loitering about.  You might have the remnants of an ambush sitting around somewhere that's messing with the siege flag...  Doesn't sound very likely, but it's worth a shot.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:51:18 pm »

Do you still have the save where the fortress is in this state?  I can take a look at it and see what's going on, though I won't be able to get to it in time to save your fort most likely.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:23:40 am »

Yeah, I had made a save on the off chance something could be done with it, and then moved on in an "alternate universe" ... I'll see how tiny I can get the region down when I am at work tomorrow.

(Yep, I'm a slacker :) )

Do you still have the save where the fortress is in this state?  I can take a look at it and see what's going on, though I won't be able to get to it in time to save your fort most likely.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shrinking Saves
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:26:23 am »

Anyone have suggestions on getting save size down?

My save files are so fat! 40 meg! They need to go on a diet.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:36:10 am »

Have you tried using a zipping utility?  You can right-click in the folder(s) and select "send to zip file", those usually aren't too big.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 11:24:12 am »

I used RAR on maximum compression.

No biggie, though, I uploaded the thing to the File Depot, under the Bug area, the save is "Eternal Siege" ...

Two words of advice: En - joy!

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:44:39 pm »

One thing that might work to break the seige would to resurrect one of the invading goblins and let him run away. Or maybe try killing them again. Doesn't Dwarf Companion allow you to resurrect a fallen soul? I can't get it to run at the moment or I'd play with it.

AWDBall

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:33:37 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded the save and included in my Bug 363 notes.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 06:58:27 am »

Screwed around with Companion a bit on this save trying to fix the issue. After a handful of goblins sprung back up from the grave and left, changing nothing, "Bosa Gudosong" and "Mato Snodubasesm" decided that with their newfound lives they'd gather at the empty murky pool straight south of the stone stockpile next to the catapult south of the trade depot instead of running away like cowards without a leader. Their deaths turned off the siege. Hope that helps a little.
Pages: [1] 2