Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ADOM - Worst and/or most embarrassing deaths?  (Read 12096 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM - Worst and/or most embarrassing deaths?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 06:30:53 pm »

I've fallen down the stairs and broke my neck...

I've died of a broken leg...

And kicking a staircase is fun too ;)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 09:18:39 am »

Ok i started playing ADOM (my first roguelike excluding df) and i have 3 questions which i cannot figure out:

1. How do you wield weapons?
2. How do you wear clothes?
3. How do you save and quit?

Thanks in advance for the awnsers.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:42 am »

Damn, you made me download this thing. Now I withdraw from society again...
And before I do it, look...

1) and 2) are pretty easy, press i - you'll see your equipment. Press corresponding letters to equip/unequip items.
Adom has a very nice interface.

3) S (shift+s) = save and quit.

4) ? (shift+/) will give you help menu. Open [k]ey bindings for the full list of keys (it's big).
:t = ( shift + ; ) first  and then ( t ). A bit uncomfortable
\Mq = alt + q (\M = alt)
\Ci = ctrl + i (\C = ctrl)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 10:19:20 am »

ok thanks for that i had looked in the keybindings section but i couldnt see the awnsers

Edit: ok even with equipment none of my characters are lasting long they keep dieing in fights, anyone got any general advice that will help me survive?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 02:06:59 pm by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 03:54:32 pm »

1) Play a troll

2) Become a beastfighter

3) Smash stuff with your fists

4) Eat everything

Following those simple guidelines, I once held off an entire tribe of orcs.  It was my very first character, I had just wandered into the dungeon, and I didn't know what to expect from the game.  I open the first door I come to and there are twenty-some sets of beady little eyes looking back at me.

I backed up into the hall, and took them down one by one.  My very first encounter, and I slaughtered an entire tribe of the bastards.  I came across a second tribe later on, and they met a similar fate.   No weapons, I just punched them to death.  Then I ate most of them, and dragged along a couple bodies for snacking later on.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 04:22:44 pm »

1) Play a troll

2) Become a beastfighter

3) Smash stuff with your fists

4) Eat everything

Following those simple guidelines, I once held off an entire tribe of orcs.  It was my very first character, I had just wandered into the dungeon, and I didn't know what to expect from the game.  I open the first door I come to and there are twenty-some sets of beady little eyes looking back at me.

I backed up into the hall, and took them down one by one.  My very first encounter, and I slaughtered an entire tribe of the bastards.  I came across a second tribe later on, and they met a similar fate.   No weapons, I just punched them to death.  Then I ate most of them, and dragged along a couple bodies for snacking later on.

That is unbelievably bad ass. ;D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 06:17:15 pm »

Don't eat kobolds though, I've never played a single roguelike where they don't kill you to eat them somehow.

Also, when you decide to move up to spellcasting, try playing an elementalist.  Trolls might even still work for this.  Elementalists are annoying once you're more experienced, but early on they're kind of awesome because you get free spell charges every time you level up!

(When you study a spellbook, you get a certain number of uses of that spell.  Not 'that day'... EVER.  So low-intelligence casters tend to have very few uses of spells, they'll run out fast, but elementalists always have something good on-hand.  You can study a spellbook multiple times before if poofs though.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 08:13:54 pm »

I just died three times to invisible stalkers. Damn those things.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:56 pm »

I remember trolls eating everything even kobolds. If I'm not mistaken poisonous effects of kobolds were ok for them but I may mix it with some another roguelike.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 04:18:20 am »

I just died three times to invisible stalkers. Damn those things.
I wonder what's the deal with invisible stalkers, I have seen only one ever. But then again my friend told me he started three assassins and they died back to back to those things. There has to be some thing that makes them more frequent. It may be real life date, class, race or something completely different.

It's almost essential to have the unofficial guidebook
I don't quite agree, I have avoided it completely. (so I won't check the stalkerthing from there) I'm relaying completely on information I discover by myself and what I hear from other players and/or friends, but if I didn't have a friend who has played the game for years (mostly on a computer with no internet access and so without spoilers) I wouldn't be able to get as far as I have now. First of all, the basics are a real pain to learn if you are unable to learn them from watching someone else play (at least if you're a dabbling roguelikeplayer as I was then. ADOM was my first, not counting small amounts of Nethack, which I for some reason do not like at all.) Without help, it would take mighty long to get as far as the Caverns of Chaos, so I say that one needs a guide to get through the first bumps, but then I'd rather find things out myself (aka die from trying stupid things) with few hints from other players than read 'em up somewhere.

Edit: ok even with equipment none of my characters are lasting long they keep dieing in fights, anyone got any general advice that will help me survive?
Play a troll.  ;D Then you get far enough to learn things and can successfully try other characters. Also, use the tactics settings F1-F5, those are very important even though I managed to get my best character of the first few months of ADOM without knowing about them (and he was a druid!)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:23:51 am by LASD »

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:27 pm »

This thread got me to start playing ADOM. It took a while to get used to it. Especially since it kills off new characters faster then any other game I've seen. Even DF Adventure mod. Those first few quests are so not designed for lower levels.

My worst death so far must have been to those damn blink dogs. I had a level 7 fighter on the 5th or 6th level of the evil druid quest and found a room full of monsters. Not to bad if I can go hide in a hallway so they can only attack one at a time. The hallway wasn't very long and they might be able to get around me. So I decided to run through a room I had just emptied to a long hallway. I run into the room and a blink dog appears.

I've fought blink dogs a few times before hand and they were never hard before. Suddenly, "Blink dog summons help". The room is full of blink dogs. Some how I manage to get through to the hallway with dogs biting at me the whole time. But since they are blink dogs they can teleport. So now there are dogs on both sides of me. Still not to much of a problem since only a few of the weaker monsters from the previous room full of monsters. However not only can blink dogs summon more blink dogs. Those dogs can summon help too. I don't know how many dogs I took down but they kept on coming, every few minutes more of them would be summoned. There was no end to them and since they can teleport there is no hope of escape. Since then I've been backing up the save every floor of a dungeon.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 04:43:25 am »

Blink dogs are really nasty little things. When you want them to multiply, they don't feel like it until something like 100 turns have passed (And even then you shouldn't expect that you get the thing you want from them). And when you just don't want to fight them, they get really pissed off and   you find yourself in a situation where you have killed 200 of them and they're not giving up, but most of the time they're pretty easy to kill and yield nice amounts of exp and *the other thing*.

I have had a long break in ADOM (only few short games in the past six months), but yesterday I played a bit again. I got to the 6th level of Village Dungeon with my promising lvl 8 human farmer and barely escaped alive from a tension room full of kobolds and doppelgangers (!). I started making way back to the healer, but in the middle of the widest hall on the route, I came by an innocent looking lonely blink dog. It decided to call for some friends...

Do you want to examine your inventory? (Y/n)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:29:18 am by LASD »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 10:39:18 am »

I've played it three or four times, first guy was a gnome assassin(Random history).  He died to raiders.  Then a fighter(I think).  He made it to like the second level of the dungeon and died of acute blood poisoning. Then a Gruthling or whatever, he died to raiders.  My last character got into the dungeon, and it kept displaying a message(I don't remember what, something ominous) and then the wall disintegrated and I was set upon by a menagerie of multicolored monsters masticating the minds of mighty men.
Shoes...

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:14 pm »

I always play as trollish barbarians, but one downside of them(other than their immense stupidly{They eat
fortune cookies and comment that they taste like ink}) is their relatively short lifespans. So I was wandering
around on level 25 or so of the Caverns of Chaos when I came upon a tension room filled with ghosts.
Normally, they would be no problem, but unfortunately I had already killed about 100 of them or so
and thus they were extremely powerful. They eventually aged me into dust... Hopefully the powering
up thing will be fixed soon, or when hell freezes over.   
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 03:09:27 pm »

I've been playing Gnomish elementalists, which has been working out pretty well. My current character (who I've been save scumming like crazy) is a dwarven wizard, but the book usage for my main attack spells kind of annoys me, so I might go back to playing elementalists. Oh, does anyone know where I might find an Ogre Lord? That dwarf-town guy told me to kill one, and I have yet to see any ogres, much less ogre lords.
Pages: 1 [2] 3