Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ADOM - Worst and/or most embarrassing deaths?  (Read 12093 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM - Worst and/or most embarrassing deaths?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 07:51:24 pm »

One thing I like/loathe about ADOM over NH is that it scales better. Once you get up to level 10 or 15 in NH, you're basically invincible and will probably only die to your own stupidity*. ADOM is... shall we say... less kind, as monsters keep scaling.

Also, classes are much more distinct. At a certain level, there's scant difference in NH between the assorted classes. Yes, there's some, but it all tends to be narrow nuance.

My most recent character was a DE beastfighter (thank you, fate's decision!);

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was just getting ready to go hit the Pyramid, so right above the Dwarven city I unloaded all my excess items. Including an iron ingot. When there was already one on the ground. Grrrrrrr... Time to go find the hack/patch that fixes that crash bug, as I'd forgotten it entirely when I re-installed...

*Well, okay. Mid-game. It gets nastier again later on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:02:11 pm by E. Albright »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 08:38:21 pm »

I actually found ADOM way more tolerant of mistakes.  In the early-midgame in ADOM, you can pull back whenever you want and go hang out in the early ID for a bit; you control your own danger level to a large extent.  Uh, autoleveling jackals notwithstanding.  Nethack on the other hand, something is always just about to kill you, and so much of the game is bizarre and random that to me it always felt like a race against the clock.  Can I get resistances before some gnome with a wand of death blows me away?  Etc.  Not to mention you have to keep moving or starve.  ADOM is so much kinder.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 10:50:04 pm »

All right, so I read a scroll that made me forget everything. I had a bunch of wands and I couldn't remember which did what. So I zap one at the wall. Bad move. It's a wand of lightning bolt. It bounces back and hits me. No big deal, I survived. It then proceeded to go right through me, bounce off the wall behind me, and hit me again, killing me. That was a sad day.
Pages: 1 2 [3]