Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roguelikes  (Read 4093 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Roguelikes
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:23:10 am »

Aside from DF (which is a 'roguelike' only graphically), I have several TOME winners, and I've recently started playing Nethack after years of putting it off. I've also played and beaten IVAN, although I've only got the 'easiest' victory.

What roguelikes do you play/have you beaten?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelikes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:59:12 am »

well there's ADoM, and various kinds of Angband (my favorite being steamband), some of which even have tile graphics.
If you are looking for a less serious game, there's stuff like DooMRL (ASCII) or Lost Labyrinth (graphical).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 04:12:10 am »

There was an ongoing discussion here, apparently the only one online, about Incursion (look in the Other Games board).  Though not complete, I quite enjoyed that.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:45:32 pm »

Incursion was fun, but really glitchy.  I've never beaten a Roguelike, but I've got reasonably far in Nethack, and I've reached level 23 or so in ToME(Although I used the sea monsters to the south of town to powerlevel a mage that far), and I've never gotten very far at all in Angband.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:47:53 pm »

Incursion was fun for a while but eventually the holes got really obvious and inhibited gameplay.  ADoM seemed a bit too rigid in design for my liking, and Angband just doesn't have much depth.  I haven't tried ToME or DooMRL.

NetHack...  I don't know.  After that first time where the Nymph stole all my stuff, I just went back to Incursion.  I haven't really played it all that much.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:12:11 pm »

Nymphs, cockatrices, leprechauns, and the like are why you always carry a ranged weapon.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:19:54 pm »

Nymphs and leprechauns are the reason why you strip naked, put your clothes nicely in one corner, and chase around the map.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:14:55 pm »

I used to play Nethack fairly often, but I lost interest. I'm currently playing Incursion. I hate anything that lacks a random world/dungeon/area generation every game.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:06:09 pm »

I like NetHack, ADoM is pretty good, but I'm not too fond of most *bands, with the exception of ToME and Hengband. Say, has anyone played Hengband? It's an off-shoot of Zangband like ToME is. What I liked about it were the extremely inventive classes and a few interesting items (monster balls that allow you to capture weak enemies? Ha!)

The classes were incredible though. The Mirror Master could place mirrors around a level and his/her spells relied on them in various ways- he or she could shatter them all for damage, reflect light beams off of them and so on. Another awesome class was the Ninja; I had figured it would have been a ho-hum Rogue with ridiculous power. Actually, much different. You have a nil chance of hitting in lit areas, and your best spell spreads darkness, which you can see in perfectly. You try to fight only when you have the best advantages- being unseen, invisible, etc.

Sadly it hasn't been updated in four years and it was developed in both Japanese and English, so there are the occasional translation hiccups.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 10:23:47 pm »

Hmm.. I've never tried Incursion. I might have to have a go at it after I finally win (or give up) Nethack. Of course, who knows how long that'll take..

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:59:42 pm »

I highly recommend it. I wouldn't say it's better than NetHack; it's far too buggy and incomplete, but it's certainly worthy to sit at the same table as NetHack. It's ASCII is very nice, too. Has an optionally large font that's much easier on the eyes than most Roguelikes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:43:58 am »

Yeah, I like Incursion's UI.  Normally I try to find a graphics set, but for some reason I would feel weird if I played ToME or Incursion with graphics.
Shoes...

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »

I'm considering making a Roguelike. If I were to make one, what would you good people recommend go into it?

As for my preference in roguelikes, I played the crap out of Crawl. It was my first, and I'm still crummy at it. One of my friends is just unbelieveible at it (He gets scythes of death on the first floor.) I also enjoy Nethack alot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »

Gore.  Lots and lots of gore.  Everybody loves gore.

I'd suggest other things such as swarms of weak enemies (not a common sight in Roguelikes), but that may just be because I managed to get myself hyped up over Diablo III.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 10:06:49 pm »

DF has corrupted (Enlightened?) me to the fact that exploding limbs are AWESOME. So yes, plenty of that. As for swarms... yah, that'd do. Interesting conflicts is number one on my to-do list. Too many things in rougelikes are just boring (you face large numbers of enemies that just attack you. No tactics, no special attacks. YAWN.)
Pages: [1] 2