Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: House  (Read 8979 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: House
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:44 pm »

Sappho: Now that you mention it. It does seem like Sherlock Holmes.

1. Person comes to irritable genius who can predict your entire lifestyle from a few basic clues.
2. Genius comes up with some strange reason for assisting
3. Assist!
4. *see above*

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 05:25:09 pm »

Actually, one of my current favourites is Boston Legal.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 07:38:38 pm »

House is good. My one complaint is that the cases have started to take a backseat to developing House as a character. Will he screw his ex-wife? Will his leg shrivel up? Meh. Just show me someone with plaid eyes who's pooping teeth. That kind of thing is awesome.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »

Sappho: Now that you mention it. It does seem like Sherlock Holmes.

1. Person comes to irritable genius who can predict your entire lifestyle from a few basic clues.
2. Genius comes up with some strange reason for assisting
3. Assist!
4. *see above*

The character of House was taken directly from Holmes.  His name, even:  Holmes is pronounced "homes" which was turned into House for the character.  There's a whole bunch of interviews and such with the creators of the show about this.

There's web sites exploring this here: http://www.housemd-guide.com/holmesian.php and another here: http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/10/31/you-cant-have-house-without-a-holmes/ and another here: http://www.dangerousuniverse.com/2005/fw_reader/1-37.asp

Just a few of the more obvious similarities that you haven't already pointed out:
Drug addiction (Holmes: cocaine and morphine.  House: Vicodin)
Arrogance
Music (Holmes: violin. House: piano, guitar...)
Address (Holmes: 221B Baker St. House: Apartment 221B, street not given)
Mortal nemesis named "Moriarty" (Obvious in Holmes, and in House the man who shot him was named Jack Moriarty.)
Walking with a cane

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:20 am »

I can't watch House or any other medical show for that matter because my mom(who's a doctor) will just come in the room and start pointing out all of the errors in the show making it kind of hard to enjoy the story.  :(
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 12:15:29 am »

My parents do that with everything.  Except they're not experts at anything, they just point out bad acting or things that wouldn't happen in real life.  I watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom up to the final half hour, they walk in and start making jokes, and completely ruin it.  I could barely hear the movie they were being so loud.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:07 am »

Temple of Doom's ending was written by a 13-year-old (And a logician's nightmare). You didn't miss anything. Better off imagining it. Counterargument for knee-jerk response: I didn't say it sucked. I said the ending was disgusting.

Anyway, no spoilers please. Thanks for informing me that House's leg was shot by an archnemesis by the name of Jack Moriarty.

I really need to stop watching House. Back-to-back episodes for 22 episodes without breaks can't be good.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 04:53:35 am »

For once I agree, the ending sucks.  Not that that's likely much consolation.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 08:37:31 am »

Him being shot is not the reason for his limp.  His leg pain is due to muscle death resulting from a misdiagnosis.

The being shot thing happens much later, at the beginning of the last episode in the second season (so I didn't spoil anything but the very beginning of that episode).  The story about what happened to his leg (which is very good) is towards the end of the first season.  I highly recommend renting them all on DVD and watching them beginning to end.  The ongoing storylines work much better when you see them in their intended order.

Unfortunately I missed most of the fourth season.  Waiting for that one to come out on DVD...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 01:02:51 pm »

I like House. I've been watching it lately.

I love Two and a Half Men, which is probably (aside from House) the only reason my TV gets used anymore. I like Everybody Loves Raymond, too.

I HATE Seinfeld, and consider it possibly the unfunniest show I've ever seen..

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 02:03:19 pm »

I think you're lying.  Seinfeld is an absolute good.
Shoes...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:34 pm »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 02:41:28 pm »

I tried watching it once.  Wasn't particularly impressed.  I won't say I was annoyed by it, I just wasn't entertained by it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 02:47:31 pm »

Jerry isn't what makes it funny.  He just has a funny voice.  It's the other characters that make it funny, and the hilariously awful things that happen to them.
Shoes...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 03:25:20 pm »

You also forgot South Park.  I will never understand why that show is as popular as it is, when all they do is try to offend people.

While I enjoy the show, sometimes, the attitude of its creators against any kind of political stance annoys me to no end. Whenever they give an interview, they make it very clear that they work hard to offend anyone that has any kind of conviction (like thinking that polluting is good, *or* bad, or that corporations are evil, *or* good, or that war is bad, *or* good, or religious fanaticism is bad, *or* good). They've turned the whole "sitting on the fence" thing into an ideology and they go to great lengths to attack anyone that doesn't follow it. People should either have no opinion or have an exact middle-of-the-road opinion (the Golden Rule: if a lot of peolpe think that 2+2 = 4 and another significant group thinks that 2+2 = 6, clearly it means the right answer is 5 and both groups are extremists and should be mocked).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:27:16 pm by Sergius »
Pages: 1 [2] 3