Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Various topics with my latest fortress  (Read 480 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Various topics with my latest fortress
« on: August 15, 2006, 05:01:00 am »

My latest fortress is on permafrost, with a few large predators. I started with a hunter, who kept two dogs with him. He was very good at what he did, and brought in deer, foxes, even a whole pack wolves. We had plenty of early meat and it went very well at first, as I dug for the river. Then he ran out of bolts, and proceeded to commit suicide by trying to wrestle with four wolves at once.

Maybe give crossbow hunters the option of cancelling work with a notice when they run out of ammo? I can understand fighting for his life if he's in mid-combat and suddenly realizes he has to use his crossbow as a club, but I watched painfully as he sauntered up and threw a punch (or whatever he was doing) at the nearest wolf, only to be promptly mobbed and torn apart. I don't mind unforgiving game mechanics, but that just seems stupid on his part.  ;)

Things went well from there, and in fact I eventually recovered his things, but my fortress now has a major problem with the undesignating trees. There shouldn't be any pathing issues -- as I'm on permafrost, the river ice never even thins, so I have paths galore, and I haven't crossed the river, locked doors, filled channels, or had any cave-ins that would threaten the consistancy of my fortress. While we have a few big predators, they leave well enough alone, and rarely harass. I only have occasional deer and raccoon problems, but it's not a big thing, especially near my fortress. Yet there's one particular tree that's near my entrace, and I could swear I've selected at least half a dozen times, and it never gets cut down. Next time I look at it, it's not designated. Often I'll look over an area I designated for cutting and only a third or so of the trees are actually still designated!

Naturally, this leads to a huge problem having enough wood for beds and charcoal. Often my metal works are completely shut down due to the wood supply cutting off without me noticing, and just when I think I have enough wood to go on for awhile with beds and such, I'll miss a cancellation notice and have a dearth of useful furniture, with no wood for more, when I go to equip rooms for a wave of immigrants.

One bug I've encountered on this permafrost map is that the "fade away" rivers north and south of the map thin and melt by season, even though the actual river is frozen solid year round.

Am I mistaken in that weapon racks seem to default to "allow none"? I had one sitting useless in my fortress for a long time before I went to remove it, only to realize I could edit its allow preferences. Lo and behold, everything was red. If this is the case, it seems more intuitive to me that it should allow all by default, and only be more restrictive if you set it to be.

Would it be possible to set similar allow preferences for stockpiles? I'd really like the ability to sort my light stone and dark stone into a different pile, next to specialized craft workshops, while I keep my boring rocks near the door mason. This would also be useful for storing food by the kitchens, and seeds by the farms.

Sorry if I seem kind of dry and downbeat -- this game is great, but it's 3AM here, so I'm pretty tired and just going down the list.  ;)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Various topics with my latest fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

My suggestion is an ability to order someone to "rearm".

One of the reqs that I figure is most needed is the one where items are re-consolidated into stacks.  After some time, you'll undoubtedly have a hunter or marksdwarf who has killed a few animals.  Since bolts are destroyed when they miss, but will sometimes survive if they hit, you will have single crossbow bolts floating around: when your hunter or marksdwarf goes to rearm automatically (which doesn't happen until he no longer sees any enemies), he will often take just a single bolt and waltz back into the field.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Various topics with my latest fortress
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:08:00 pm »

The fake river off the top and the bottom seems to change with the old seasonal code.  I must have missed it when I went over to biomes.

I'm not sure why so many tree designations are dropping.  It's usually a connectivity issue, like it was on the glacial maps.  In the tundra maps, it should be working fine, but apparently there's still an issue.

Weapon racks default to allow none -- I would change it, but weapon piles are going in at some point, and then racks/stands will be used by specific soldiers and also (still) in the noble requests.

Specific preferences for piles is one of the big pile reqs.  I used to have a gigantic and complicated screen for it about a year ago, then I redid piles, and it all went away.  Some time soon I'd like to bring it back, but...  well lots of things need to be done some time soon...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!