Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 10402 times)

Clamity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diablo 3
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:31:54 am »

It's happening.

Blizzard confirmed it just minutes ago.

The service that was doing the live streaming for them just imploded due to server stress I'm sure...so I'll have to wait till later to get a copy of the video.

I am so incredibly happy  ;D

btw, Blizzard's splash page has officially changed over to diablo 3 for those that have been following that.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 05:41:11 am »

Not another Diablo clone!  :D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:35:41 am »

Big ew.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:07:31 am »

Well, I was hoping they'd come out with a bang, but I'm not impressed yet.  Interactive environments are just fluff.  It's all for nothing if they don't preserve and expand on the replayability that the last two games had.

Random dungeons were what made Diablo epic.  Give me more random stuff than the previous games, plus a lot of viable skill combinations, and I'm happy for a long time.

But it could be better if they made a classless game.  :(

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 11:13:44 am »

hmmm, I decided not to get my hopes up over video games since they almost always seem to be a let down so i would like to state intrest with a slight hint of mild optimism
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:46:55 am »

Since no one's posted it yet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQMBIRipp5A .

As far as I'm concerned, it looks horribly scripted, Serious Sam style - enter an area - wave of baddies pops up. The health balls look a bit consolish, too. What was wrong with the potions? And why do the bodies dissapear so fast?

On the other hand, the physics look nice and according to that video, some debris will be able to hurt enemies, just hope the debris won't be some scripted crap you couldn't tell would actually fall on enemies like the wall in the video.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 12:10:02 pm »

The health balls are kind of lame, but hopefully it'll be something that goes away at higher difficulty levels.  I've never played any of the Diablo games, so I won't have the "Been There Done That" thing going on, so I'll probably get it.  When the Siegebreaker bites off the Barbarian's head...  That was awesome. 

Outdoor environments look really nice too, like something out of a painting.

EDIT:  There's a much higher quality version of that video on Blizzard's site, and Blizzard needs to invest in a professional narrator, all of the videos I've seen them do have terribly dorky narrators.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:14:12 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »

I played Diablo, Diablo II, and Lord of Destruction.  I've still got all three sitting around on my CD shelf.

I was the son of a software developer who happened to have Diablo installed on his work computer, and who would often get together with a few of the other guys and go on a "*swish *swish* *SPLAT*".  I was introduced to the game when I was very young, and it's become part of my history, along with DooM and Pong.

Diablo III, from what I can see in the videos, looks really cool.  There are of course some things I'd rather do without (those health balls are indeed a bit of a funky addition), such as the usual "size doesn't matter" way fights with big baddies are handled.  Who cares if its hand is larger than your whole body?  Fight it like a zombie!

But still, smash-able environments have a very special place in my heart (I would often go around in other games and just crunch every last piece of furniture), and the physics do indeed look nice, especially for an RPG (anybody here play Silverfall...?).

I don't know if I'll get it...  That's a bit far into my future to say.  But what I will say is that it looks very interesting, and I would love to see more videos on it.

And Wall O' Zombies looks like a lovely little spell.  What will they think of next...  Oh, did anyone notice the Warcraft 3 sounds some of the critters had?  And that "War Stomp" looks a lot like the one the Tauren Chieftain had...  I wonder if they're going to have cross-game easter eggs like they did in WC3.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:09:03 pm »

I distinctly heard a razorfen pig-man's squeal in the first big ghoul fight.

Who cares if its hand is larger than your whole body?  Fight it like a zombie!

You have a better method of killing a (Very obvious Pit Lord redesign) with an axe?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:15:41 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:09 pm »

Looks quite nice... Though the bodies of the damned should last until you leave the area of their final death, also so far what they shown me of the friendly NPCs doesn't really put my hopes up for the story, and the environment could be darker...

But as long as there is the necromancer class, and the dungeons are random, there is going to be BLOOD FOR BLOOD GOD!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 02:32:44 pm »

The bodies thing did suck, you can't tell me that permanent bodies will choke the FPS, Titan Quest pulled it off and those bodies last until you restart the game.  I can't decide what was cooler, when the Siegebreaker tore off the barbarian's head or the (Thousand? Thouland?) Pounder was summoned.

I liked the cannon fodder nature of the NPCs, I don't like working with other people, and random hilarious deaths are always fun(I'm looking at you, Adoring Fan).

Man, Blizzard really knows how to make a teaser, I reinstalled Titan Quest after watching that just to play something Diablo-Esque, and it feels empty and hollow after seeing that video.(It's still fun, but man.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 02:36:13 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 02:39:21 pm »

Think about what would happen if they bodies stayed around for longer...  Remember that ghoulfest 2008 part right at the beginning of the footage?  Now imagine what that would be like on your processor if every last one of those ragdoll bodies stayed on the map instead of disappearing.

Sure, it would look damn cool wading through a massive pile of bodies (knee-deep in the dead...), but imagine the pain you'd be putting your rig through.  Be humane, man... 

But it does raise a peculiar question...  How will the necromancer be handled if the bodies disappear so rapidly?

You have a better method of killing a (Very obvious Pit Lord redesign) with an axe?

The fact is, you can't just go toe-to-toe with something like that.  Something that massive could simply pick up and throw a human-sized creature as though it didn't exist, and yet here it is making standard attacks against the little pee-wees. 

This kind of fighting shows up in a few different games, including World of Warcraft.  You have this gargantuan demigod-demon-pineapple thing with muscles bulging in every conceivable place, and it starts a fistfight with the little shorty that's fighting it instead of just stomping or eating it.  It's just not realistic.

The only advantages you can have over something like that are speed and agility.  Brute strength is always held by the bigger dude.

EDIT:  Titan Quest had permanent bodies?  I never noticed...

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:33 pm »

Da yay.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 02:51:44 pm »

Technically, it did pick up the Witch Doctor and throw her like nothing.  Really though, how else are they going to be able to handle something like that without throwing out large monsters entirely?  There's no conceivable way for a normal human, even one with big muscles and armor, to take down something that large.  I thought they handled it pretty well though, it does seem to throw them around with some of its hits.  I'll watch it again to see if it does for sure.
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »

I dont care what they will mess up, I need to play it. Barbarians look a bit over-the-top with their skills, oh well.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6