Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 10405 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 03:10:57 pm »

Think about what would happen if they bodies stayed around for longer...  Remember that ghoulfest 2008 part right at the beginning of the footage?  Now imagine what that would be like on your processor if every last one of those ragdoll bodies stayed on the map instead of disappearing.

Sure, it would look damn cool wading through a massive pile of bodies (knee-deep in the dead...), but imagine the pain you'd be putting your rig through.  Be humane, man... 
They needn't actually be treated as ragdolls when there's nothing affecting them. Games can handle loads of static objects quite well. It's when they start moving that the pain begins. The bodies could at least wait for the player to go off-screen before dissapearing. :\

But it does raise a peculiar question...  How will the necromancer be handled if the bodies disappear so rapidly?
I get the feeling the Necro won't make it (mostly for this reason). :C

You have a better method of killing a (Very obvious Pit Lord redesign) with an axe?
This comes to mind. Granted, it's a finishing move, but games eventually should employ something of this sort in normal combat (rather than just trading smacks).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »

I never get tired of seeing that kill, although it would've been better with the hammer.  Assassin's Creed has stuff kind of in that vein, counter-attacks are pretty spectacular, but you don't fight any huge monsters in Assassin's Creed.  An undesirable, but workable, way to do it would be to make fighting something like that a reflex-based survival challenge, like in Jericho or Resident Evil 4, where you have to press the buttons when they come up on screen, and if you screw up it kills you.  Most people hate these things, but I love them.
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 03:34:23 pm »

Speaking of fighting colossal monsters in a "realistic" manner, what about Shadow of the Colossus?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 04:21:51 pm »

I never get tired of seeing that kill, although it would've been better with the hammer.  Assassin's Creed has stuff kind of in that vein, counter-attacks are pretty spectacular, but you don't fight any huge monsters in Assassin's Creed.  An undesirable, but workable, way to do it would be to make fighting something like that a reflex-based survival challenge, like in Jericho or Resident Evil 4, where you have to press the buttons when they come up on screen, and if you screw up it kills you.  Most people hate these things, but I love them.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!  No god damned quick time button crap in Diablo!!!  It's one of the worst features to become popular in action games ever.  If I wanna play Dragon's Lair, I'll play Dragon's Lair!  Keep it in adventure games where it actually adds something! >:(

Also, Shadow of the Colossus is awesome.

BTW, Fileplanet has the trailers on the Blizzard site, as well as an art trailer. http://www.fileplanet.com/
Gametrailers has them too. http://www.gametrailers.com/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:33:07 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2008, 04:48:44 pm »

I can't see reflex button minigames fitting into Diablo III...  RPG's are difficult to work with as far as David and Goliath fights go because the characters will very rarely have the same bodytypes or "protrusions", which makes animating the specific kills a pain.

I don't know how something like that would be handled in a game like Diablo III...  I just know that toe-to-toe fights just don't "do it" for me.  At least the blighters don't turn so damned fast as they used to...  Now you can actually try flanking them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 04:51:43 pm »

Obviously it wasn't a serious suggestion.  I don't think the current method of fighting should or can be changed.

IGN is hilarious, there are tons of commenters crying about the graphics.

EDIT:  Interesting...  Someone on IGN said that Titan Quest had bad FPS, and I think my copy heard him.  Suddenly the framerate is beyond suck.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:59:33 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

Any word on whether Diablo III will be called "The Reign of Tyrael"?  I, uh, can't actually see that video.

I agree with Ioric's take on the button-mashing game.  That's not next-gen gaming, that's the kind of crap that we accepted as a "game" back in my (Atari, Apple IIc) childhood because people didn't know how to make games do any better with only 16k of RAM.  It's utterly inexplicable why this has gotten so popular lately, it's just horrible design to have a controller with three joysticks and 24 buttons, but to dodge a boss's attack, you just wail on "A" as fast as possible.

Clamity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 05:21:01 pm »

I started playing the original Diablo when I was *way* too young(think 7 range)...was one of the first games I really got into.  I've been playing the game forever, and still have been booting up diablo 2 in recent times, and the confirmation that they weren't making diablo 3 an MMO was just about the best news I could get.

I wanted to address a couple of comments that have been made with the obvious disclaimer that the game is still being worked on!

I *suck* at doing the whole quote thing in forums, it invariably gets royally screwed up, so I won't bother with that.

IMO The bodies disappearing that quickly I think was to show a better graphical environment for the demo, and I'm sure the health orbs will get a better look before release(I hope :/)

On the other hand, the witch doctor is almost definitely the spiritual successor to the necromancer, so perhaps there is no more direct use for bodies...I highly doubt they would throw the two similar classes in the base game. We could however, potentially get the necro back in an expansion, which would be nice. I actually just saw another bit of dev talk, that kind of specifically says that it *isn't* the spiritual successor http://www.diabloii.net/n/668039/diablo-qampa-diinet-transcript It's close to the bottom. But I personally feel it won't make the original character batch...but again an expansion could be possible.

A couple other things of note, it appears blizzard will be releasing with 4-5 character types, but it hasn't been officially decided yet.

Well, back to diablo 2 for me, if anyone is feeling fancy I'm working on a hammerdin in honor of our lovely dwarfs, Acoount name is clamity, character name is Ophimity, I forget which you need for diablo.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 05:29:49 pm »

*ahem*

Anyways, I'm wondering how exactly they're going to be handling the background for Diablo III.  All of the greater evils are dead, most of the lesser evils are dead, the world stone was destroyed by Tyreal's hand, and nobody really knows how that's going to tweak the world.

Is Tyreal corrupt?   I doubt it...  If he was evil he could've just left the world stone in its current "calling all demons, calling all demons" state and said "a-yep, looks fine to me".  Instead, he smashed it in typical "if it blasphemes, we can kill it" holy warrior fashion.

So, who's left?  They've covered hatred (Mephisto), destruction (Baal), terror (Diablo), pain (Duriel), and nipple rings (Andariel).  What's left?  Rage?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 05:36:20 pm »

From the site.

When Deckard Cain returns to the ruins of Tristram's Cathedral seeking clues to new stirrings of evil, a comet from the heavens strikes the very ground where Diablo once entered the world.  The comet carries a dark omen in its fiery being and it calls the heroes of Sanctuary to defend the mortal world against the rising powers of the Burning Hells – and even the failing luminaries of the High Heavens itself.

I don't know if that answers your question, I've never played Diablo, so everything you said went way over my head.
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 05:40:54 pm »

Concerning reflex-tests, they can be good when done right. Resident Evil 4 style button mashing with a sudden awkward button combination where if you fail you die is not a good example. Die Hard Arcade style one-button reflex tests, which would spare you some health or even an encounter all together were good. Regardless, though, these are good for cinematic-style action games, not for isometric/top-down games like Diablo.

IMO The bodies disappearing that quickly I think was to show a better graphical environment for the demo,
I'd think a slew of bodies would give a better visual effect than a clean dungeon, actually. I'm rather hoping they were simply keeping the setting down to keep the game from having FPS hick-ups on current day hardware (while keeping other settings high) and that persistent bodies will be possible at release.

and I'm sure the health orbs will get a better look before release(I hope :/)
I don't think it's about how they look, but how they work. You fight enemies, they drop this, you pick it up and you're healed, like with some powerup in an old arcade beat 'em up. It just broadens the impression that you're playing some linear action game rather than an aRPG. It's like the first step on the road to removing inventory managment and making the character pick up everything he walks over.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 05:46:38 pm »

Most of that stuff is actually from Diablo II, but I get your point. 

An yeah, that does seem to point the finger of accusation at Tyreal...  Or maybe some other angel, like that one dude you find wandering around in Diablo II, what was his name?

*Roots around for Diablo II strategy guide*

Ah, Izual.  Mr. big fuck-off ice nova.

So...  Just corrupted angels?  Or a corrupt archangel?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 05:48:11 pm »

I bet it's Decepticons.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 06:45:47 pm »

I bet it's 4E devils! :P
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2008, 06:52:32 pm »

The only things left that would be dangerous enough are Tyrael and Izual, anything else would be a silly tie-in story with stuff that just got added in after the developers had a bunch of 'what if's.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6