Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 10410 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:02 pm »

I've only played the demo.  I played as both classes provided, the offensive fighter (don't know the name, but he's the kind who can use two swords) and the fire mage.  Both of them had to do more and more back-and-forth movement as the game progressed, just because the critters were getting tougher.

And that fire elemental looks ridiculous, by the way.  The demo level cap stopped at exactly the level where I could get him, which is what I had been gearing that mage for from the start.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »

Just about everything looks ridiculous in that game, the Greeks need more leg armor.  I don't want to be a powerful warrior running around in underwear and shinguards.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2008, 03:31:20 pm »

Shinguards...  You mean like these shinguards?: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Greek_hoplite.png

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2008, 03:33:59 pm »

Exactly.  The thigh is way more important than the shin, they need more protection.

And before you nitpick, I know they're supposed to be called greaves, shinguard is a funnier word though.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2008, 03:43:21 pm »

Well, that's not what I was being nitpicky about.  What I was being nitpicky about was the fact that those shinguards are what the Greeks actually used.  They never used thigh protection above and beyond their shield and the armorskirt extension of their breastplate.  These are Greek hoplites, not cataphracts.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2008, 04:01:35 pm »

I know, I'm criticizing the Greeks as much as the game.  They're being needlessly cheap, a knight in Gothic Plate would facepwn those geeks.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:05 pm »

You try walking around in the heat of Greece when you're covered from head to toe in heavy plate...  Hoplites were already weighed down by a lot of heavy equipment, and as footsoldiers they needed as much maneuverability as they could get.  Heavily armored knights fought from horseback because horses are strong enough to lug all that weight around and still stay relatively speedy.  A man can't.

A fully-armored knight, without a horse, wouldn't be able to last.  The combination of the heat and the strain of supporting all that weight (while fighting, no less) would be enough to make him pass out after just a short while in combat.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2008, 04:19:47 pm »

You'd think they wouldn't care, considering they had their guys wearing bronze shinguards.

And anyway, the average temperature in Greece is like -60 degrees.
Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2008, 04:40:52 pm »

You'd think they wouldn't care, considering they had their guys wearing bronze shinguards.

And anyway, the average temperature in Greece is like -60 degrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Greece
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2008, 04:54:10 pm »

Psh, you thought you'd sneak that past me, I saw the URL, you wanted me to think it was Uncyclopedia, instead of that stupid parody site.

Nice try.
Shoes...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2008, 04:58:34 pm »

A fully-armored knight, without a horse, wouldn't be able to last.  The combination of the heat and the strain of supporting all that weight (while fighting, no less) would be enough to make him pass out after just a short while in combat.

A knight also had a big advantage: they could push for kings and lords to outlaw any weapons that could penetrate their armour. Regular soldiers had to depend on a more primitive defense: not getting hit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]