Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gamemaker  (Read 4801 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Gamemaker
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:23 pm »

At first I thought you were on board.

Then I thought you were joking and there was a game called Tacitus that already did this.

Then I figured you were actually into the idea.

Then I became unsure and googled Tacitus, finding no game by that name.

Now I'm precipitiously ambivalent. And hot. The AC is out.

EDIT: OKAY you got me with the "no rules" part. What if, like in Smash Brothers where you set up the rules for the game before you play, the players all chatted on IM and set up rules. They could make deals like, okay if you want this to be urban, you can't use this unit. So they would modify the rules so that player couldn't use that unit, but the available building blocks would be urban only. Everyone would click "sign the treaty" to seal the deal before the game started. If someone changed a parameter, everyone would unsign immediately and have to sign again after they saw the change. And if you didn't get a treaty in time, it would randomize something that put everyone on relatively equal footing.

I imagine setting up an entire historical re-enactment of the American Civil War saved as a campaign file. You'd have appropriate units constructed, you'd build all the maps, set the point-based victory conditions, etc.

You want that river twice as deep? Fine, but I want a bunch of stone walls here. Deal?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:40:54 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 05:37:43 pm »

At first I thought you were angry.

Then I thought you were mildly annoyed.

Then I thought you were confused.

Then I thought you were more confused.

Then I was confused.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 05:43:06 pm »

I'm not angry, my darling betentacled destroyer of minds!

But I am confused?

???
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 05:45:31 pm »

The last line before the edit had me really confused.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:48:29 pm »

You see, my Armor Class is poor because it's so warm out I had to take off my Chainmail +2.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:53:46 pm »

Oh.  Just cast chill metal.
Shoes...

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 09:16:08 pm »

and now I'm using primarily C++ and PDCurses.

As far as PDCurses goes, are there any benefits of using it as opposed to ncurses (which is in the Ubuntu repos).

Also, can anyone point me to a good set of curses/ncurses/pdcurses tutorials.  I'm looking for tutorials that are of similar quality to the awesome LazyFoo SDL tutorials (http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php), but for curses.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 03:15:13 am »

Simple tools warrant making simple games. For anything sufficiently complex, you need something equally complex. For a tactical TBS/Wargame, you could use The War Engine.

Bumping to say, holy crap, somebody else bought The War Engine?  You do know Shrapnel Games stopped supporting it like five years ago, right?

I wasted so much time with that thing.  And it included a demo of Space Empires 4, that made me buy that, and then I failed 10th grade English.

Oh and since this thread is about game making programs, I'm surprised nobody else apparently has heard of the O.H.R.R.P.G.C.E., probably the most robust, active, and well supported RPG maker out there.  It's an all-in-one, plug and play engine that can make games akin to Final Fantasy 4, along with an extremely powerful external scripting system.  It's been programed by one guy in QuickBASIC over the past 12 years.  I found it in 1999, and have been dinking with it ever since.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:24:11 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

I, personally, use Multimedia Fusion. It's from Clickteam, the same guys who made the aforementioned Klik n Play and The Games Factory.

In fact, they've also made TGF 2 and MMF 2. TGF 2 is a lite version of MMF 2, and there's also MMF 2 Dev, which is the most powerful of the three.

I'm currently trying to make a little game in it. A side-scrolling shooter. It'd be easier if I could decide on how the HUD should be.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:06:58 am »

Made a shooter in MMF a couple of years ago for a school assignment. Was pretty fun actually.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 07:59:30 pm »

And the pieces are customizable, with a large library of sprites.  It could be completely open-structured, with no actual rules.

Call it, Tacitus...

It could actually work, it'd be so empty of structure it'd take like a day to make in GameMaker.  It's not too terribly likely, but I just might try this if I get bored enough.
I actually like the idea of this one, maybe I'll pick up the idea and make a GM game with it as soon as I'm done making this new game I call Mornington Crescent. It's a rather interesting game to pick up.
Pages: 1 [2]