Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Return of empty beer barrels.  (Read 1653 times)

MagNet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Return of empty beer barrels.
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:48:45 am »

I apologize if this was suggested before. I find that I have to deforest entire sections of my playing area just to keep up with the barrel production for my brewery. So if possible could it be made so that you either get all of the barrels back or have a percent change to get it back? The percent change for the barrels to be returned empty is a bit more realistic since you would have wear and tear from handling and storage.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Return of empty beer barrels.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:54:14 am »

As far as I know, empty barrels can be reused. Or do you mean when trading them away?
Also, if you have a magma smelter/forge, you can make barrels out of abundant metals like copper (without the need of wood/coal as fuel).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:20:46 am »

yeah, presently the return of use is 100%. It sounds like you are making a heck of a lot more beer than you need...
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:48 am »

Or rather that empty beer barrels are getting put to other uses, which annoys the crap out of me when I have 0 free barrels and 0 booze, but 4000 barrels in use.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:36:39 am »

I usually solve this problem by pressing 'p' and then pressing '*' a few times.

Reserve barrels is an extremely useful feature.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:39:19 am »

I still don't know how that works.
I just make two food stockpiles, one for drinks with max barrels allowed, one for food with no barrels allowed.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:02 am »

If you reserve 10 barrels, the dwarves will not stuff food into those, meaning they are free for other jobs (like boozemaking). They probably won't free up full barrels to produce the reserved amount, so you have to reserve them, then produce new barrels.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:48:13 am »

You can also free up barrels by making prepared meals. Barrels are limited in how much food they can carry (the limit's either 10 or 20, I believe), so prepared meals that come in stacks larger than the limit will just be stored on the floor of the stockpile, which does them no apparent harm. So plant Quarry Bushes or Sweet Pods in preference to Plump Helmets, and cook the resulting crops.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:55:41 am »

It's 20.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:50 pm »

Actually, it would be useful if containers could be designated for specific things so they would only be used for that - eg a bin designated only for gems etc, and the same for barrels and bags.

MagNet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:40 pm »

Thanks for the info on the reserved barrels and prepared food.  Once I got my book keeper up and running I noticed that I had a huge quantity of barrels.

So back to the other suggestion; wear and tear on barrels that are being used.  Would it be possible to give barrels health and every time they were used they would lose a bit of health.  Then before the barrels break a carpenter could repair them.  Instead of health the barrels could age over time allowing aged items to be created, such as aged whiskey.

Can't you already designate specific item containers?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:14:18 pm »

Can't you already designate specific item containers?

Not that I know of.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 04:05:46 pm »

... prepared meals that come in stacks larger than the limit will just be stored on the floor of the stockpile, which does them no apparent harm.

I was under the impression that dwarves walking on exposed food damages the food. Is this not the case?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 04:10:33 pm »

I've never once seen a worn prepared meal. The only food I see get worn is meat (including e.g. turtles), and it's my understanding that that's caused by vermin, not dwarves.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels