Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

A tiny map with magma and underground water?

(1/2) > >>

Derakon:
Sadly, I'm on a Mac, so I can't use Regional Prospector (at least, not without installing Windows on a second partition, which in turn would require buying a copy of the OS -- you surely wouldn't suggest I pirate it, right?). This makes finding nice maps difficult. So if you're feeling nice, or if you just happen to have a good seed handy, I'd love to see it. "Good" in this case shouldn't be too hard to come by, since I only have three requirements:

1) Magma. Doesn't even have to be infinite.
2) An underground water supply. This would preferably be infinite so I can make large tree farms.
3) Small. 3x3 or smaller, and ideally not more than 4-5 Z-levels of ground. My FPS aren't too good at the best of times.

Everything else is optional. Trees? Don't need 'em (the tree farm is mainly for theme). Sand? I'll mod the soil raws if I have to. Metal? Get it from goblins. Adamantine would be interesting, but I've gotten by without plenty of times. Aquifers I can take or leave - the magma, and the mountain tile(s) implied by underground water, both provide ways to get past them. Terrifying biome? Dwarves come armed with picks, and leather for some quick armor. And so on.

If you aren't willing to help, that's fine. Unfortunately there's no such map listed on the wiki (the only one that comes close was generated in 33g), which is why I'm reduced to asking here.

KoE:
Well, I'm a bit fuzzy about how to tell just how many Z-levels there'd be, plus I'm not exactly sure how the whole 'seed' thing works. But here's a picture of the embark screen from when I set out; I think it should suit your needs.

The whole thing's a volcano made in the first random world I managed to generate when I started a couple of weeks ago. You can get a nice 3x3 with the magma pool and the cave river, or a 3x3 with adamantine and the cave lake instead. The river, strangely enough, is flowing northwest->southeast (against the slope of the volcano, although that may be normal for subterranean rivers, I don't know). (I had the misfortune of finding this out while checking out a vein of exposed hematite and over-mining a bit). The magma pool is also, sadly, very shallow (I think 2 z-levels deep). I haven't encountered the other two features there, so I can't speak for them.

Again, I'm fuzzy on the Z-level thing, but it is kinda steep so that may be a problem. I also have no idea how to generate a seed, but if you can tell me how I'd be willing to do so for you.

Derakon:
While that looks like a nice enough seed, to get it small enough to meet my needs, I'd have to cut out all non-mountain range squares entirely -- which would make the location unembarkable. But thanks.

KoE:
Ah, right. Had forgotten that little detail. Well, good luck finding one.

Soadreqm:

--- Code: ---Created in DF v0.27.176.38c.

[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:STANDARD]
[SEED:1696494012]
[DIM:257:257]
--- End code ---

I haven't actually ever embarked here, so I have no idea where to start looking for the features, and whether that magma is a pipe or a pool. Also, the elevation map suggests that you may have to deal with more z-levels than you'd want.

Actually, the elevation map looks a little bit trippy. A mountain range, with forest to the north, and a river flowing south? If you made the starting area large enough, you could tunnel through the mountains.

Oh, and by the way, both DF and Regional Prospector run pretty much perfectly in wine on Linux. So if the only thing keeping you from installing a second OS to play Dwarf Fortress is the cost, (instead of, say, the trouble it would take to reboot the computer every time you want to use your old OS for something, or limited hard disk space,) you could consider that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version