Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: System Shock 2  (Read 4171 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
System Shock 2
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:18:10 am »

Has anyone played this? I did a forum search and didn't find a thread about it. I found it about three years ago, and it's awesome! Too bad its replay value is somewhat low, as most of the fun of the game is in its surprises.

It's been criticised for being a spaceship maintenance simulator, as anyone who played it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, near the end the developers were apparently rushed, as the quality of the level design took a slight turn for the boring.

But this game had some amazing moments.

"Babies need meat!"

EDIT: So to the uninitiated, it's a sci fi FPS, with slot inventory like Diablo, implants, skills, psionics, weapon damage and repair, a sweet story, loads of surprises, plenty of gore, and a quite nice villain.
But the villain, I think, is not as good as the one in
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:22:01 am by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: System Shock 2
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »

Bioshock is made by the same guy and is supposed to be the spiritual successor.  It's heavily simplified compared to this game of course.

I've never played SS2 and I can't run it on my computer.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 05:24:47 pm »

SS2 is awesome, and really does have a good villain.  You need to go to Marathon for anything else that compares...though I guess GLaDOS is in that group now, too.

Game balance is not great though.  :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Roman Spy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:28:53 pm »

I played it last about 4 years ago. It's a good game. I liked the sound recorders and how they were used to tell the story. One of those rare games with good acting and dialogue.

I felt alone, but I didn't necessarily feel like I was in space. There have been some mods for the game but I never tried to get them to work. ttlg.com has a good ss forum.

The original SS is also supposed to be very good, but it's hopelessly outdated now. It's amazing how much stuff they put into SS2 when you consider that it's a contemporary of DOOM. (I think) In Doom you just blasted things and collected keys. SS2 had all kinds of interactivity, story, ghosts, etc.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:18:55 pm »

Probably one of the few games that honestly scared me, or at least gave me the chills while playing. Good luck finding a copy. Then good luck getting it to run on XP and later. I thought it had replay value, if you play as and focus on a different branch of the military each time.

What the Zero-Punctuation review on Bioshock. If you liked SS2, Bioshock is like a kick to the nuts from the developers. They aimed for 'easy' and overshot by 10 miles.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:58 am »

Indeed...I played Bioshock for a while and kinda thought...this is SS2 for stupids.

SS2 graphics wasn't really too great, however the atmosphere and sounds were probably as good as they could get in a game. Specially the voice acting which felt so natural. It's true that it did have some balance issues, and replay value was a bit limited. Playing it for the first time however is wonderful.

Roman Spy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:14:33 am »

I loved the little chirpy noises the computers made. A lot of crisp sounds in SS2. It made you feel like you were in the future. Also, the lighting. Made me feel like I was in a hospital late at night.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 06:19:59 am »

Rraaaaaaaaghh...KILL MEEEEEEE!
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:47:43 am »

It's a very good LAN game every once in a while.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:24:42 pm »

As for it not looking good, someone put out an improved texture pack. It upgrades pretty much everything, from the display panels on bulkheads to monster skins. And there's another one to update the models so they aren't quite so angular. The engine used is a bit like Thief, but you don't have a glowy gem. All the stealth elements are there, though.

Go here for screenshot comparisons. Warning: zombie boobies in one screenshot. No, that isn't what the game is about.

Also, this is not the game for you if you have arachnaphobia. They made a patch to remove the spiders because people were getting freaked out. For serious.

EDIT: Typos
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 12:39:06 am »

I remember when I first played, the freaky zombie guys scared the crap out of me. Then they tried to bash my head inside my torso. But eventually, when they said "I'm sorry", my heart broke, and a tear came out of my eye. After all these years of playing against bad guys, I realized that finally, one of them cared about my feelings. :'(

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 12:53:57 am »

SS2 is one of the very few games that can creep me out. Eternal Darkness made me jump now and then, for instance, but I could play SS2 and be constantly freaked out that something was following me, or was just around the next corner... I'm not even sure why it creeped me out so much.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 01:10:42 am »

Go here for screenshot comparisons. Warning: zombie boobies in one screenshot. No, that isn't what the game is about.

Zombie boobs are nothing to apologize for, for they should be cherished and loved.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 04:11:47 am »

SS2 is one of the very few games that can creep me out. Eternal Darkness made me jump now and then, for instance, but I could play SS2 and be constantly freaked out that something was following me, or was just around the next corner... I'm not even sure why it creeped me out so much.

Agreed.  Only a few things in EDSR made me nervous and only once did I jump from fear, whereas SS2 had me nervous.

My other favourite in-game quote from SS2 is "I will tear out your spine..." Said in an incredibly creepy, semi-robotic, female monotone.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 11:41:17 am »

Creepiest thing ever in the game: when you get audio logs about the zombie midwives, and you start thinking about what happened to those poor nurses. And - "babies need meat"

Dang, they didn't even need to give them a ranged blast attack. They're super effective as it is.

Also, did anyone else just get really disappointed with the cyber ninja encounters? I mean, they were alright, and really fast, one of the hardest-to-hit NPC targets I've seen made. But they just weren't all that scary.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: [1] 2