Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: System Shock 2  (Read 4162 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: System Shock 2
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 03:03:52 pm »

Eek eek ooooook eeek *BZZZAAAAP*

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 03:10:08 pm »

Gaze upon my magnificence, insects. Fear me: Shodan is my avataaaaar.

Bwahaha, SS2 is cause for endless celebration. It scores big points on being freaking scary, and it was well ahead of its time (even ahead of Bioshock. That's right, I said it). I never thought it was particularly difficult though. Once you get an assault rifle you can just swiss cheese anything that comes near you.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 03:11:38 pm »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »

Also, not to mention that first hallway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 06:48:03 pm »

Best non-multiplayer game evar. :D

The cyborg ninjas were stuck in there because they were the coolest baddie in SS1.

This game wins the award for scariest game ever. When I first got it, I was too afraid to play it for several weeks after I first encountered a hybrid.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 10:08:02 am »

I tried playing SS1 but I couldn't get past the awkward controls. Ultima Underworld had similar controls, but it just looked SO COOL I guess I was willing to work harder to learn to use them right.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 04:18:13 pm »

Best non-multiplayer game evar. :D

There was a patch that added a co-op play option y'know, only problem is actually finding someone to play it with.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 04:46:34 pm »

loved it, for me it was the pre-curser to Deus Ex. The whole idea of customizing your character to fit your play-style was awesome, and Deus Ex did this incredibly well also.

SS2...ahh the times i jumped outa my seat! The lights were off in my house, and I had just loaded the game up and went through the intro. After exploring a bit, coming into that first zombie, hearing it shuffle around the corner and as it came at me pleading, "please..kill me please!" i think i screamed a bit. I then bashed its head in with a pipe or something. mmm.....zombie brains. Something about brains fed on brains makes them taste extra brainy and good.

classic, just classic.
I got nothing

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 06:09:44 pm »

And on an added note...  Fair well, psychic, skull-less monkeys.  Perhaps, in another world, I could have called you... Friend.

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 10:33:34 pm »

Oh, I knew that it was multiplayer with the patch(Team Fortress 2 is much better online.SS2 loses all difficulty on multiplayer, and can get annoying.) . I like playing it a little modded even! The graphics packs and weapon models and new sounds make it so much better!

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 10:42:02 pm »

Quote from: Roman Spy
The original SS is also supposed to be very good, but it's hopelessly outdated now. It's amazing how much stuff they put into SS2 when you consider that it's a contemporary of DOOM. (I think) In Doom you just blasted things and collected keys. SS2 had all kinds of interactivity, story, ghosts, etc.

Actually it was System Shock ONE that was the contemporary of Doom.  IMO that's why System Shock is all but unknown, because it was overshadowed by the near-simultaneous release of Doom.  No, wait, Doom 2.

SHODAN is my favorite villain in any videogame ever.
http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=1103

I recently went through the nightmare of extracting the audio from my original System Shock CD so that I could listen to SHODAN's lovely voice all day if I so choose.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:05 pm »

We need a SS2 SHODAN techno mix.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 [2]