Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf sprites  (Read 4347 times)

slepth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf sprites
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:54:51 pm »

I was surfing around the net when I stumbled upon this:
http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/show/
and this:
http://spriteattack.cator.de//df/

It is possible to use those dwarf sprites in DF?

Bane

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Drow Executioner
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf sprites
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:01:53 pm »

They are 32 by 32 pixels, not sure whether DF can read that size or not, try it... that's all I can say.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:18:07 pm »

They are 32 by 32 pixels, not sure whether DF can read that size or not, try it... that's all I can say.
Even if it could, the fixed width/height of the game would mean that the window would be 2560x800 pixels.  I don't know a monitor that could fit 2500 pixels in width... well, an affordable monitor that could.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

slepth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »

I could resize the sprites but the loss of quality makes it not good anymore. Is it possible to resize DF to fit the sprites itself? Maybe make the tiles bigger but with smaller viewing distance?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:08 am »

If only the viewport was independent of the menu, then we could have a square viewport with 11x11 tiles of 64x64 pixel sprites each! Then the menu could keep its low text resolution.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:57 am »

Even if it could, the fixed width/height of the game would mean that the window would be 2560x800 pixels.  I don't know a monitor that could fit 2500 pixels in width... well, an affordable monitor that could.

Well, mine could. Possibly because it's actually my TV too. 46 inch, and I love having a DVI port on the telly!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 01:55:21 pm »

Well, mine could. Possibly because it's actually my TV too. 46 inch, and I love having a DVI port on the telly!
I doubt it. :p  The maximum resolution on your TV I'm going to edu-guess is 1920x1080 if it's a fairly new TV.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:00:32 am »

31 inch LCD monitors often support 2560x1600, (WQXGA)

I actually use a 32x32 tileset when I play, although I use dual monitors, with the main one at 2048x1536 (QXGA) and the secondary at 1600x1200 (UXGA).  It works nicely when I run it in windowed mode, with the window positioned so that the game screen is on one monitor and the menu or minimap on the other.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:49:43 am »

keldor, I really want to steal that. But I won't cos I can't afford the second monitor.

slepth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:51:23 am »

Well, after surfing around, I actually found out that someone else is working on it:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21041

Quoted from Mayday:
"I'm currently negotiating with a professional sprite creator about an isometric graphics set for DF"

That was on Nov 19,2007. Anyone with any new news about it?