Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventure Mode -- Town Integration  (Read 2674 times)

The Minister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode -- Town Integration
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:40:38 am »

I’ve noticed a couple of these ideas mentioned in other threads, but I wanted to embellish them a bit and see what people thought.  I have described the following system as a relationship based system for interacting with towns.  Many of these ideas might be combined with a reputation system that has been mentioned quite often in the forum, or they could exist along side the reputation system as a separate relationship level with a particular town.

This may still be a long way off, but it would be cool if adventurers could integrate themselves into specific towns as an alternative to traveling around and taking random jobs where they find them.  Once integrated into a town or community, the adventurer could build buildings, walls and fortifications; establish a home for himself; take a profession in the community; etc..  Perhaps if the adventurer accomplished enough for the village, he could take a position or title of importance, like the mayor, a priest or even the high priest.  The adventurer could enlist members of the town and community for specific projects, building walls and fortifications, manufacturing particular weapons and items, trading for particular items that aren’t otherwise available given the town’s resources.  Of course, the adventurer could participate in defenses of the town from invaders as well as sieges by the town on other sites.

Once integrated, the mayor and other community members could give the adventurer different tasks depending on the profession the adventurer has adopted.  Adventurer priests could talk with specific community members to convert them or go on missions to different sites to spread the faith. Adventurer guards could be sent to defend allied sites, to track and discover hidden adversarial sites, or to carry diplomatic messages to other sites.  Adventurer merchants could travel with caravans and negotiate trades with other communities for specific items required at the home site.  Adventurer spies could be sent to infiltrate other sites, try to convince people from other sites to migrate to the home sites, assassinate members of rival communities and frame alternative culprits, incite an infiltrated site into war with a third site, and steal items, secrets, plans and technologies for the benefit of his home site.

Eventually the adventurer could even form relationships and friendships with other members of the community into which he has integrated.  And if a player gets bored or falls out of the good graces of the community he could pull up stakes and move somewhere else. 

Clearly some of these ideas require more village development, resource tracking, etc., but I think they would be fun long term goals that would add another dimension to adventure mode.
McDoomhammer: DF is the best thing after sex.
Krash: Blasphemy!!11
thvaz: Why blasphemy?  Sex followed by DF sounds like a good afternoon to me.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
Re: Adventure Mode -- Town Integration
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:22:59 am »

Actually, I believe Toady hopes/plans on making this possible.

# PowerGoal85, RETIRE AS A PEASANT, (Future): You start out shoveling the stables and continuing passing the days by rapidly until you become old, ignoring changes in leadership and the passing of friends, only leaving the job when you are no longer able to perform it.
# PowerGoal86, THE PROPHET OF AA, (Future): The Church of Aa has become decadent and gifts to the deity have waned, and the priests have been filling their coffers. You appear and claim to be a prophet and say that Aa has abandoned the Church. The priests scoff at you, but you perform a miracle, and there is a schism in the Church and much violence.

There are also several others. The ultimate goal would be that the player would be able to hold any position an NPC can, and if they want to for some reason, live it out day by day for their character's entire life. When DF reaches that, it will officially have gone much further than any other game has attempted. In some ways, it already has, but it's still nothing compared to what it's striving for.

Just think; what if you could become the king of your civilization, then kill off all the council members to obtain absolute power over the land. Have potential adversaries assassinated while throwing grand parties and doing things for the country's people to make them like you, securing your throne. Then one day you get bored and sneak away to become a merchant instead, but fail miserably to make any profit. Hehe. ;)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:58:20 pm »

Don't forget baby-snatching!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:34:51 pm »

Can we mod the game to add wielding babies as a weapon, or is that something we'd need Toady to do?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:03:01 pm »

Can we mod the game to add wielding babies as a weapon, or is that something we'd need Toady to do?

You can as is. Kill a baby. Pick up its corpse. Batter people as wanted.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

nonononononono  LIVE(temporarily) babies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:31:20 pm »

I don't know if this should go here, but I'd really like to see some workshops in Adventure Mode. Then there could be the option to take the corpse of a monster you kill along with some coins to the tanner, have its skin made into a hide, take that to the leatherworker and commission some embroidered hydra leather boots (or whatever) for yourself. At the craft shop you could have bone amulets made, the gem setter could encrust your equipment with jewels you pick up, and the forge could sharpen your weapons, forge bolts for you, stud your clothes with metal, smelt extra coins...the list goes on. There could even be an option to tie up wild animals once you knock them out in battle and take them to a kennel in town to train.

I know that if any of this were to happen it would be a ridiculously long time in the future, but, hey, I can dream.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:36:43 pm »

Well, I don't see the point in having to feed and clean your weapon's ass if you want it to work well. Dead babies are MUCH more useful. Though you could probably mod in a weapon and have it named "baby" but it wouldn't be alive I think.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:05:59 pm »

Well, this wasn't quite a baby, but still fun to visualize.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:55:09 am »

Well, this wasn't quite a baby, but still fun to visualize.

score!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:23:43 pm »

Just make a pest called baby and pick it up and use it.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:58:22 pm »

I feel like Ive just dropped into the Fable 2 board... Well... Minus the people complaining that the job of prostitution was removed.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:51:29 pm »

Well, concerning becoming a priest or prophet (Maybe even a rebel leader?), Perhaps you could have dreams while sleeping (There IS a lot of room in the sleep screen) That shows you something happening, or some deity talking to you, that gives you some type of ability.

I.e: Turning water into lava
Or, even better, turning the local evil demon into a lovable kitten.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 06:58:52 pm »

I feel like Ive just dropped into the Fable 2 board... Well... Minus the people complaining that the job of prostitution was removed.

Psh, I haven't even looked at Fable 2, and I'm not going to.  I have no respect for Peter Molyneux anymore.  He feels like Will Wright's inept cousin.  He makes some cool, innovative games way back when and then bam.  Black and White 2.  FAIL.  Fable.  FAIL.  BC.  Didn't even come out, which is why it FAILS.  (And I was really looking forward to it.)  That game he said he was going to start where you played a person from birth to death.  I haven't heard anything about it since, but I bet it would've FAILED.

On topic.  When you mentioned reputation I loaded my Sarcastic Reply Gun with an "Exalted with Soapbodices" joke, and then I continued reading, and realized this would be epic.  I'm sure Toady's planning it.  We just have to bide our time.

Responding to new replies, gaining some kind of one-use ability to be used vanquishing some evil(Demon, megabeast deity, elf) from your deity would be awesome.  I'm considering having a friend stand on my roof and drop a brick on my head, so when I come out of the coma, DF will be closer to completion.
Shoes...

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 07:39:36 pm »

Peter Molyneux just needs someone to tell him to shut up at press conferences.
I can't tell if the games seem bad because he promised the world, or are bad because the poor developers have tried to fulfill that promise.
I know I'm saying this on a board for a game whose manual is several times shorter than its stated goals, but Toady's different.
Pages: [1] 2