Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.  (Read 17417 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Majesty 2 has been announced.

This is the single greatest thing that has ever happened in the history of mankind, and will probably lead to the end of the world as we know it.

If you've never played it, Majesty is an old-ish PC game that flawlessly blended RPG and RTS gameplay into the perfect game, and what remains my favorite PC game of all time.  I played this game for hours a day, every day, for months at a time.

When you start the game, you just have a castle, and maybe a guard tower or two.  Guards wander the town randomly, and peasants run over and build whenever you place a building, like in any other RTS.  The only resource is gold.  So far, pretty typical RTS fare.  Once you recruit a unit, you realize just how unique this game is.  Every unit you recruit has a name and acts almost completely outside of your influence.  They have a favorite activity, based on their class(Rangers like to explore, Knights like to hunt monsters, Wizards like to study, wander, and support more melee-centric characters).  Once recruited, they go about their business, and you can't tell them what to do, outside of reward flags, which are either bounty flags placed on monsters, or explore flags placed on the ground.  Adventurers who like to make bounties(Rogues love it, Paladins rarely go for bounty flags) will then attempt to accomplish them.  It's almost like an MMO where you're the administrator.  You make the quests, the characters fight monsters, level up, and buy equipment at the blacksmith(This is my biggest and possibly only major problem with the game, while weapons and armor can be upgraded several times, magic items are almost nonexistent except for quest items in mission mode)

There's a huge variety of monsters, ranging from the very weak(Rust monsters, rats) to the absolutely overpowering(Dragons, Rock Golems, Daemonwoods), and an equally large selection of characters to use.  Temples give you some of the most powerful characters, but they conflict with each other.  If you have a good temple, you can't build evil or chaotic temples, and  if you have a temple to Krolm, you can't build any other temples.

To put it simply, the game is incredible.  Not more than a year ago, I popped the disk in and prepared to reinstall it for a glorious walk down memory lane.  The disk was too scratched up to install it.  Part of me died that day, and ever since I've been jealously protective of my disks.  I will never allow myself to feel that despair, although now that I think of it, since I legally bought the game, I could probably torrent it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:10:30 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile

I was reading...  Trying to figure out how you possibly were let down by the announcement of your favorite game's sequel.  Then I got to the last paragraph and cried for you.

Not literally...  I just kinda...  Feel your pain.  I hate it when you get all excited about something then suddenly all hope is shattered. >.<

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Yeah, it sucked, but Majesty 2 will be coming out in about a year, and since I'll probably be in college then, I'll probably fail college and end up a bum, playing Majesty on a stolen computer.  Yeah, that's the good life.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

since I legally bought the game, I could probably torrent it

Not legally. But since when has that stopped anyone?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Majesty is coming back?  Hell yes! 

At first I thought this was just a hoax cooked up by someone who found the old screenshots that were made from a fake "Majesty 2" from years ago, but now I actually have a spark of hope...  Majesty was, -is- a truly amazing game.  If another generation of gamers can experience the magnificience of that game, all the better.

And my copies of Majesty and the Norther Expansion are both in perfect working order.  Damn I love that game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

It's real, they even have a short trailer available, showing some kind of giant attacking a town.  Terrain is beautiful, character models are iffy, but it's still early, and the game has awesome physics.  The giant smacks a guard tower with his club and takes a chunk out of the wall.

EDIT:  I'll probably just take a look around Wal-Mart, they tend to have lots of old games in jewel cases for like five dollars.  I never got the expansion pack, did it have anything more than just maps?
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Yeah, it did.  It had new monsters (greater gorgon, for one.  Summons medusae, throws swords, and turns people to stone.  Not to mention the yetis and sasquatches), some new and very useful buildings (I'll cover those later), and a pack of new quests including a couple that have a new difficulty level.  Master.

Trust me, those things are hell.  You have to sit in for the long haul if you want to beat a master level...

Anyways, new buildings.  You have the embassy, which can house to homeless heroes, can automatically call in heroes to fill in whatever open slots you have in your guilds (with random levels, too), and also enable shared vision with other players with embassies in multiplayer.

Then you've got the mausoleum, which stores dead heroes after their gravestone has disappeared (VERY useful for when someone gets killed by those damn evil eyes...), and you can resurrect them from there.  If the mausoleum gets trashed, a flood of undead critters will appear in its place.

The magic bazaar.  This is a nice place for making a little mid to late-game cash, and for beefing up your adventurers.  You can research special potions there, which will then be sold to whoever wants to buy one.  These include fire balms for ranged weapons (gives a fiery boost to ranged damage for a short time.  Rogues love these), haste potions, invisibility potions, polymorph potions, and other goodies which escape my memory.

Heroes can only pack one of each type of potion at a time, but they're still very useful.  Invisibility and haste can really make the difference for when a beast is too strong and the hero decides to leg it.

Then you have the sorceror's abode...  Don't get your hopes up, it's not a new hero type.  What this place does is provide you with kingdom spells, like temples and wizard towers.  That's it.  That is its only purpose.

But it has some fun ones.  Chain lightning, change of heart (fleeing?  BERSERK!  Fighting?  RUN AWAY!), frost field (hero enchantment.  Slap it on, and they'll shoot out ice shards at all nearby enemies every so often.  This is so effective against goblins it's not even funny), and earthquake all are at the sorceror's fingertips.

As I remember, there aren't any new hero types...  But the current ones get a lot of extra goodies.  Barbarians have a chance, defined by their level, to simply get "stunned" for a while from a fatal blow.  This makes them last a looong time...  They also get occasional critical hits.

Warriors of discord get a cry of chaos (damages and frightens nearby monsters) and a "super strike", which deals so much damage it will often mean one-hit-kills at high levels.

And then we have gnomes.  What's so special about them?  Well, we love gnomes.  Everybody loves gnomes.  Even the game devs.  And that is why, when a gnome reaches level seven, they turn into a gnomish champion and get increased combat stats (not to mention a shiny helmet and some leather armor).

That's all that comes to mind, it's been a while since I played it.   All heroes get a little bit of an intelligence boost ("real" intelligence, not the stat) so they tend to last a bit longer, and their list of idiocy is a little bit shorter.  Not to say nonexistent, just shorter...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

VERY useful for when someone gets killed by those damn evil eyes...

I just zapped them with lightning bolts, no way I'd let a hero near one.

I completely forgot about the market place, now that I think of it, I also forgot about the fairgrounds.  How long has it been since I've played this?

I always hated gnomes.  If I got one of the three races, it'd be dwarves.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

You know, this is similar to my reaction to Spore first being announced what, three years ago? Lets hope that the newer game has all the charm of the older game. I'm sure there are many games made in the old days that have been re-made with modern hardware.

And I feel for your lack of a game disk. I don't own a lot of compy games, so freeware and free online trials are my one gaming inlet. I DID once own two copies of Starcraft(Yeah, one was bought and one was given to me as a gift. Odd how that happened.), and now both disks are missing. I have two valid CD codes, and no disks to use 'em in. And no, I don't want to shell out 10-20 bucks for the "Gamers pack" of starcraft. I just want the original disk!

So obviously I consider getting a starcraft download, but every download for it is either just random add-ons/the demo version/virus.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile

When my five-or-so year old Majesty disk became lost, I just simply torrented it, hell, I bought it, who can tell me I dont have the right to a copy of it.

But then again, I do pirate alot of games I didn't own, but most I now do.

Also, I have the deep, terrible feeling that they will mess something up in this game so horribly, that it will alienate the lovers of the original. It always happens in sequels, always.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 06:58:49 pm »

Particularly sequels made by different companies...   Still, we can always hope.  If all else fails, there's always DF.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 07:00:22 pm »

Until Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress 2: Electric Boogaloo: The Hidden Subtitle of Sand and Fate: The Apocalypse Subtext: The Awakening
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:03:34 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 07:02:58 pm »

Now that I think of it, Majesty is also how I discovered Dungeons and Dragons.  It came with a teaser for 3e D&D, that contained two monsters and lots of info.  My grandmother saw it and launched into this tirade about how it was The Satan Worshiper's Handbook, and I was deterred until I found out my mother played it, and then I got it, and pow. Dungeons and Dragons.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 07:05:51 pm »

You considered that a deterrent?  Hell, when someone says something lke that, you know it's good fun!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 07:09:12 pm »

I was like ten.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8