Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.  (Read 17420 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2008, 11:31:11 pm »

I can't think of any epic moments I've had, except when my wizard solo'd a dragon before it even got to him, or when that monk killed the rock golem.

Deal with the Demon, I just sat there on that one, because I wanted to see the demon.  Epic waste of time.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2008, 11:33:23 pm »

Holy crap, what level was the Wizard? Did you have a library? My wizards only specialize in... dying.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2008, 01:40:20 am »

Wizards start off exceptionally weak (three health points?  You insult him a little too harshly and and he'll die), but if you can baby them for a few levels (getting them up to fire shield should let you breathe a little easier), you'll eventually have an unstoppable juggernaut of magical destruction on your hands.

I've had times where there's a group of heroes fighting a horde of monsters...  Couple fighters, a healer, maybe a ranger or two, and they're all slugging it out with the monsters.

Back in town, my archmage pops out for a little fresh air.  He walks around for a little bit, and then his wizzy-sense informs him of the monster horde that the other heroes are currently duking it out with, and are just managing to hold back the tide.

The wizard teleports directly into the middle of the fight, and seven seconds later every last monster is dead and the meteor swarm spell hasn't petered out yet.  The wizard goes home, leaving the rest of the adventurers to go off and find some other critters to fight.

Wizards start out as kills, and end up as kill stealers.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2008, 02:11:20 am »

Damn. I won't ignore the wizard so much now. They can teleport so well? My *main* gripe was that the walk so damn slow. Also, three HP. They're on par with the gnomes, there.

I kind of like gnomes now. I can't find much practical use for them besides building, so it must be a love of rooting for the underdogs, but I think some gnome-related plans are feasible. If nothing else, they're very cheap and quick to hire, I guess.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2008, 02:20:46 am »

They're cheap, quick to hire, are better builders than dwarves (sure, technically dwarves build faster, but by the time they reach the construction site it's already been finished by the peasants), are generally loyal and do useful things in their spare time.  Plus, they're so ugly they're cute.

And if a gnome hovel happens to get smashed, a new one will appear in short order.  A pain if you're trying to get rid of them, but it's handy if you want them to stay.  Also, gnomes get an overall stat boost when they reach champion status in the expansion (they'll still build stuff, since that's still their primary use).

Wizards will eventually grow beyond their 3Hp beginnings, and they usually have the money and the wherewithal to keep a full supply of healing potions at all times.  And yes, they have great teleportation (especially when they buy an amulet of teleportation, which gives them an extra little hop for when the teleport spell timer is cooling down).  Wizards rarely venture all that far from home, but they can quickly (and devastatingly) respond to nearby threats.  If you've got a surprise minotaur raid and a bunch of wizards sitting around, just knock on the tower (where'd that lightning bolt come from?) and you've got yourself a Magical Creature Response Squad. 

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2008, 12:33:24 pm »

Thanks to you guys i started playing this game and i love it ;D
My favorite units are rouges-as long as you keep them busy they wont steal from you lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2008, 01:12:16 pm »

This guy took on all four ratapults and a zombie without much of a scratch, at all. I healed him once because I thought he was doomed, but he was pretty alright with the whole thing. Total badass.

I love this game. I think in a week or two, I'll pick up the Linux version... you can play that one in windowed mode apparently, and I need some games if I get Linux set-up on this laptop.

Arg, I'd always hate how the ratmen would eventually give your heroes the horrific "floating green skull of death" and it spread everywhere, and everyone would move at the speed of a well frozen ketchup.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2008, 01:15:32 pm »

Yeah, yo need to always have something for them to do.  A large expanse with multiple monster lairs is great for them, because they'll enjoy traveling out to the very fringes to grab from the large stockpiles of loot that undisturbed lairs tend to have. 

But if you find yourself in a position where you've got rogues that don't have any lairs to go to, it's actually a good idea to get an elven bungalow in there.

See if you can get rid of the lounge that pops up (taking it off the repair route is enough for the more dangerous locations), but leave the gambling hall.  Rogues will spend a huge amount of time going to the hall, and they're actually pretty lucky as far as winnings go.

EDIT:  Ah yes, the lovely plague spell...  Damn that thing could get annoying.  But it's very easy to fix under certain circumstances.

Namely, you need a temple to Agrela.  Healers will run around curing everyone they find, and they're much better at it than you are.  Plus they get experience from it, which is always nice.  If you've got a temple to Krypta, things are slightly more difficult.  However, your priestesses will be fine.  Life leech cures plague.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2008, 03:01:40 pm »

If i ever have too much problems with Rouges i just put bounties on them heh heh. Apparently theyre just evil enough to kill their buddies for 100 gold, who knew. No honor among thieves and all that...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2008, 03:50:19 pm »

If i ever have too much problems with Rouges i just put bounties on them heh heh. Apparently theyre just evil enough to kill their buddies for 100 gold, who knew. No honor among thieves and all that...
Put a bounty on an enemy rogue guild and watch as they come out and start destroying their own guild.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2008, 04:01:34 pm »

Put a bounty on an enemy rogue guild and watch as they come out and start destroying their own guild.

Ironically, the rogues are the most predictable heroes. Considering that their chosen vocation begets chaos, I find that pretty funny.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2008, 09:23:53 pm »

Back from a weeks vacation, and I played this game a ton.  Ima write an essay... tomorrow.  Lots of stuff to say, it was very fun.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:24 pm »

I should have time this weekend to check it out - looks pretty sweet.

Another game you guys might be interested is Hinterland, by Tilted Mill. Due out 'Summer 2008' - which for me, down here, has already been and gone (still can't find it in the stores...) but if I have my north hemisphere right that means it should be soon.

Also there is a browser based game -  Majesty: Heroes of Ardania. It is supposed to be based off Majesty but I don't see a huge amount of related gameplay (note that I haven't actually played Majesty yet, I am basing this off what you guys have been saying).
You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2008, 05:44:56 pm »

Yeah, Heroes of Ardania is an RPG based off of the Majesty mythos/area.  Not much in common with Majesty, aside from some thematic elements.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]