Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.  (Read 17416 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 07:19:40 pm »

I played DooM when I was three years old and Diablo when I was nine (both with my dad, of course.  I wasn't as skilled at character development as he was).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 07:24:46 pm »

The first computer game I ever played was Trophy Bass 2.  That was years ago, I don't know how long exactly.  Other games when I was young were Medievil[sic], where you were a skeleton who traveled around the world, doing lots of backtracking and falling in slime.  That was one of my favorite games, and I played it yesterday, why do the games I rarely play survive, when games like Majesty die?  I think I'll try to get a hold of the game at my grandma's house, and see if my current computer's disk drive can read the disk.  It's a stretch, but maybe, just maybe...
Shoes...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 07:34:03 pm »

Darn you peoples. Making me all nostalgic and such.

When I was not more than two years old my father would set me on his lap while he played through Heretic and Hexen. A year or so later, I began playing such illustrious games as Sonic the Hedgehog on the family Genesis and Lemmings on the good ol' DOS PC. At some point, my parents decided to use my love of videogames to educate me, and from that point forward the only games to be found on our computer were educational, or closely guarded secrets of my father's, that he would graciously allow me to watch him play on occasion, such as Diablo, or a more obscure title, Nerf Arena Blast. It wasn't until Total Annihilation that my good ol' dad felt he could allow me to play a more 'mainstream' title, on account of the fact that the violence therein contained was only between robots. Ever since that fateful day I have been playing unimaginable quantities of games of every kind, but TA will always hold a special place in my heart.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 07:55:34 pm »

The mention of Sega reminded me, Trophy Bass wasn't the first game I played.  The first games I played were Mortal Kombats 1 and 2, Gunstar Heroes, and Castlevania: Bloodlines.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 08:12:07 pm »

Ah, Hexen...   There was one time where I was playing Hexen II, and my character (who was walking around on a wall at the time) got killed by a sheep fired from a catapult.  I was standing five feet away from my father's character at the time.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to play co-op Hexen II with my dad.  Sure it was just the demo, but there are some moments in life that just can't be sullied by details.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 09:03:23 pm »

What were your guys' favorite temples?

Mine was Dauros, I saw a low-level monk kill a Rock Golem in single combat, and Paladins were awesome too.

That reminds me, Epic Moment:  I cheat-leveled a Paladin to level 170-something, and sent her after that Huntsman boss.  They were evenly matched .
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 09:23:53 pm »

Dauros, because of the monks. A level 9 monk can take on anything.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 09:32:28 pm »

Damn you, people.  Stop making me feel old.  The first game I played was freaking DigDug.

Back on topic, I remember that game, my friend might still have his copy.  I didn't realise it had such avid fans.  I remember such features as indestructible graveyards which popped up in your towns as more of your heroes and units died, which occasionally spawned undead, and gold reaching your coffers via a tax collector who had to make his rounds unmolested to deliver the gold to you.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:43 pm »

DigDug was the bomb. Still, Galaga was better.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 09:59:06 pm »

I like DigDug.  They should make it into a modern FPS.  First Person Spelunker.  It would be bizarre.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 10:07:19 pm »

I like DigDug.  They should make it into a modern FPS.  First Person Spelunker.  It would be bizarre.

That. Would. Be. EPIC. It could have a physics-enabled hose with a harpoon that could be launched out of a pneumatic gun. The question is, how the heck do you animate your character EVAPORATING the dirt ahead of him?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 10:42:49 pm »

Same way they do it in Red Faction?  Why the heck didn't GeoMod get popular?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 10:53:39 pm »

GeoMod in Red Faction was kind of flawed- there was a very low "cap" of how much could be destroyed before the game simply refused to let anything else take damage (in multiplayer) -- there were a lot of artificially restricted areas where you were limited on how much you could destroy. In Red Faction II, GeoMod was only used in specific and obvious areas.

I understand it sort of placed an additional "empty" object in the wall, so the game probably filled up with empty objects pretty quickly. There has to be a better way to have destroyable environments. I hear LOVE* came up with an inventive solution, but no one but the developer really knows much about it.

*http://www.quelsolaar.com/

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 10:54:22 pm »

This game sounds great, so I decided to hunt down a copy. Cyberlore's website directs me to a service called GamersGate - anyone have any experience with this company? The reason I'm asking is that after purchasing the game I now realize that it has some sort of downloader management system that I have to install and I'm pretty pissed as it's not really advertised well on their site, but I'll put up with it if it's reputable. I've never heard of it.

It's this sort of utter bullshit that makes piracy a more attractive option for so many people. Obviously people have access to it on torrents. Anyways, it was only $10 - sorry for the mini-rant and thanks in advance.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 12:26:20 am »

Dauros was fun and effective, and that "line" of religion was probably the only really useful one as far as efficiency went.

But I loved those damn Fervus cultists...  Their baffling routines and manic chatter burrowed into a very special place in my heart...  Also, they had brilliant names.  The DF name generator would have been proud.

Although the monks were very powerful and the healers were unimaginably useful, it was very interesting to see a settlement that had been running a while with a bunch of cultists and priestesses...  Gathering more minions was simply a choice of what to do with their spare time, and as far as I could tell there was no limit to how many they could have.  I'd often have temples to Krypta that were surrounded by an entire army of the undead, most of them skeletons but with the occasional tamed vampire thrown in here and there.

The nifty thing about priestesses and cultists is that they can take advantage of the normal "pains" of a growing kingdom.  Cultists can snatch up rats that spawn from the sewers, and graveyards provide even more cannon fodder to help out the priestesses.

I remember cheating like a madman back when I was playing...  My favorite was the level up cheat, and I learned to type that in multiple times with blinding speed.  I could stack up five of those before the message line moved up a notch.

The highest level I ever cheated someone to was something over one thousand...  Absolutely no need to push them that far, and it took a bastardly long time to do it.  I've even forgotten what type of hero it was.

Anyways, I remember having the darndest time getting certain heroes to go out and buy something to keep them alive!  Then I discovered how you can "donate" money to a particular person...  Just place an explore flag in front of their nose.

I'd do that sometimes in a crowded city, just to spread some love.  I loved how almost all the cash would just get recycled back to you, letting everyone profit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8