Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.  (Read 17419 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: For the third time, Cthulhu is struck down, and hell has frozen over.
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 09:25:06 am »

Did anyone ever try to cover the entire map with your city?  I tried once and didn't last very long.  I ended up with like half the map covered, and trading posts at the very edge of the map to watch caravans get waylaid by goblins(For some reason I liked that)
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 12:46:48 pm »

I'd normally just scatter guard tower + inn + trading post combos around the map, but my kingdom normally grew to suck up a quarter of the map.  I don't think I ever managed half though...

There was one time where I cheated to get a gnome settlement, a dwarven settlement, and an elven settlement all on the same map.  You had the gnomes off in their own little area, with a few sewer entrances and a trading post (not to mention tons of hovels), the dwarves had a fully-upgraded smithy, a ring of ballista towers and a trading post, and the elves had a few lounges and a couple gambling halls.  And a trading post.

That took up a fair amount of space.

Has anyone else here made a kingdom made up entirely of rogues, elves and "other" undesirables?  It's a heck of a lot of fun and can make you a fair deal of money, but just make sure you're not playing online...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 12:50:02 pm »

I could never get multiplayer to work, so the only experience I had with other kingdoms was that weird Lord of the Rings ripoff map, with the ring, and the wraiths, and the other city.

My favorite missions were The Slave Pits, Brashnard's Ultimate Sphere of Power(Mainly for the abundance of artifacts, like I said before, the game doesn't have enough magic items, it could also do with some tougher monsters, a relatively high level character can take on just about anything), and the one with the two-headed dragon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 12:51:39 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 12:55:21 pm »

I think my favorite would have to be something from the expansion...  But it was mostly the concept that attracted me, not the execution.

You have a huge ratmen infestation on one side of the map (with their new shamans, champions, and ratapults), and a massive goblin fortress on the other (including their new overlords, and the priests have gotten a new spell).  And then a little human settlement that happens to be placed smack dab in the middle of everything.  You.

Things could get a teensy bit hectic...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 01:36:20 pm »

I have two valid CD codes, and no disks to use 'em in. And no, I don't want to shell out 10-20 bucks for the "Gamers pack" of starcraft. I just want the original disk!
Boy, I've got some great news for you! You can legally download Starcraft using your CD code and play on Battlenet. You don't even need to burn it to a CD because Blizzard removed CD check in the latest patch.
Click!
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 03:15:37 pm »

I downloaded a demo for Majesty.  It was almost enough to rekindle the old joy, except the demo mission took like ten minutes to beat.  A tiny map, only heroes available were knights, wizards, and rangers(And a paladin that comes onto the map), and you have to destroy a castle and kill two vampires.  Ooh scary...  My level 8 knight died valiantly fighting the vampires and their undead minions, killing one, and then the paladin came in and cleaned house.  Boooring...

I usually played custom huge maps where I started with a warrior's guild and a temple to Dauros, with whatever enemies I felt like fighting/goblins coming in from off the map.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 03:47:47 pm »

Speaking of huge maps, the expansion actually does add huge maps.  They're massively big, and the game (poor old software that it was) will ask you if you're sure you want to load it up, and warns you that you may experience a slowdown.

There were two mega-maps...  Wilderness (daemonwoods, wargs, nymphs, bears, and a yeti cave in the middle of the map) and ruins (new monster lair "ancient graveyard" scattered all across the map, churning out all manner of undead beasties). 

I'd either have one of those, something with a goblin settlement, or the new "ruins of Esterhausen", which is a small map that contains only one lair.  A ratman lair. 

This is a new lair that spawns all manner of rats and ratmen, but has one very nifty bonus...  It spawns more ratman lairs nearby.  If left unchecked, you may find a huge army-producing patch of ratman lairs that will continue to produce more lairs and more ratmen for as long as they exist.  Lots of fun.

I also tended towards playing with respawning lairs (which does not affect spawned ratman lairs, sadly), and then some other modifier which could vary from time to time...  Sometimes I'd play without any guilds at all, and just have heroes enter from the edges of the map.  I imagined myself as one of those cities in a roleplaying game, with adventurers comign from far and wide to buy stuff from you and to hunt down local baddies.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 03:59:09 pm »

I had lost hope of a sequel to majesty. It was a very fun game! I remember when I first played it my computer was a bit below the system requirements and my old 14 inch monitor was on it's last legs. The screen was so dark I could barely see the game. I still managed to have a blast though. ;)

I hope the sequel is worthy of the majesty name. It's always a bit of a disappointment when they resurrect an old title and change everything that was good about it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 07:11:55 pm »

The tidbits of information I've seen suggest it's going to be just like the old one.  I'd honestly be happiest if they changed nothing, and just improved the graphics/physics.  You can't improve perfection, but we've all seen how you can screw it up.

Also, the video I saw looked basically like 3D Majesty.  Town Guards charging blindly at monsters and dying in two hits, the guard towers looked like 3D clones of the old ones.
Shoes...

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 12:46:31 am »

or a more obscure title, Nerf Arena Blast.

HELLS YES. I loved this game. Beat it 3 times, all difficulties. I still have it somewhere here... Damn. I'll have to find that... Anyway, it was one of my first "real" computer games. All the other ones were educational or puzzles that I'd trial/error through. A few other of my early favorites are Pharaoh, an Egyptian city builder, and Sonic CD.

As for the main topic, Majesty sounds great, I'd love to try it.

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2008, 02:25:54 pm »

Your mother played D&D?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2008, 03:46:50 pm »

Indeed she did, when she was a kid.  It was probably 1e or maybe 2e, I don't know when 2e came out.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2008, 05:08:05 pm »

Well I heard of this game before and thought of buying it but for some reason never did.  Well I'm going to try the demo now.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »

Uhm, nevermind this.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2008, 06:17:07 pm »

since I legally bought the game, I could probably torrent it

Not legally. But since when has that stopped anyone?

Legally, I believe the company is obligated to give you another disk if yours is damaged.  Try mailing them and asking for a new one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8