Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Cave Story  (Read 32411 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave Story
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:26:43 am »

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

Yet another example of the superiority of independent developers. This is a old school platformer that one guy took 5 years to perfect. Graphics are around the level of early SNES, sound is similar, but the gameplay is sublime. For anyone whos been looking for a deep oldschool platformer.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Story
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:31:52 am »

This game is amazing. I played it 3 years ago, great game, worth a replay. Also, there's an epic-hard mod for it called Jenka's Revenge. Try it out after the first game, as it has a few spoilers.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 04:43:13 am »

Yes, it's a great game.  I love the music, in particular, and the first time I played I was genuinely sad about one of the characters' deaths.  I haven't tried it modded, but once you've played through once, consider looking up 'hard mode'- it's done by an in-game decision rather than some option, but it adds some extra challenge and also, without saying too much, bits of the game that are not in a regular play-through.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Roman Spy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:56:16 am »

It's good. It's about as good as any game of it's type, but they do something that a lot of older games force you to do which is go through all the dialogue every time you attempt a boss fight. Also, the limited save points force you to fight through the same gauntlets again and again to get to the next save point.

You can speed up the dialogue, but you can't skip all of it with one click.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 01:43:40 pm »

Solution: Don't lose.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:10:02 pm »

Cave Story is so incredibly awesome. I simply can't get enough of the game; the music, graphical style... everything comes together perfectly.

The story actually brought a tear to my eye, being the second game to do so (the first being Terranigma, for the SNES.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 04:03:06 pm »

I hate when games won't let you skip dialog.  The final battle in Golden Sun has like a fifteen minute discourse beforehand, and the final bosses are epic hard.  Guess what, once you beat them, more talking, and then they turn into a huge, insanely hard boss.  If you die anywhere there, guess what?  TALKITY TALK TALK TALK.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 04:43:51 pm »

The dialogs in Cave Story don't drag on too much though, so it doesn't tend to be an issue.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:28:56 pm »

The dialogs in Cave Story don't drag on too much though, so it doesn't tend to be an issue.

It also goes by much more quickly the second time you see it on the same playthrough.

Quite a fun game.  I did some modding for a while, but lost internets, and thereby interest...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:34:18 pm »

Well, because of this topic, I found and tried that game.
It is great.
I can't wait to finish it.
Eh?
Eh!

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 07:50:20 pm »

Cave Story is so incredibly awesome. I simply can't get enough of the game; the music, graphical style... everything comes together perfectly.

The story actually brought a tear to my eye, being the second game to do so (the first being Terranigma, for the SNES.)

Oh God, Terranigma, great game, but I never understood why it didn't see a release outside Japan, considering the rest of the series did (Soulblazer and Illusions of Gaia, and both Act Raisers, I think).  Very good game, best story out of the 3 games, but the only fan translation for the rom gets kind of wonky near the end, which is a shame because it's near perfect up until that point. (And I'm not talking about the broken english spoken by the people from "China" roughly 2/3 of the way through the game, although that just about marks the point where it starts going downhill.)

And to stop this from being a complete hijack:
Cave Story has such a perfect blend of elements, just enough variety of enemies, weapons and puzzles.  The whole game just throws off the vibe of intense polish.  I haven't finished it on hard yet though, I really need to go back to it.
quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 11:33:21 pm »

Oh God, Terranigma, great game, but I never understood why it didn't see a release outside Japan, considering the rest of the series did [...]

Huh... not sure. Maybe it's the psuedo-biblical themes? As tough as they are on religion and such now, they were far worse about it in the SNES' day... I mean, c'mon. The word "death" was almost always changed to "doom." What times we live in, to fear our own words.

Anyone ever try any Cave Story challenge runs? A couple popular ones are 3HP and 3HP / Only Polar Star. I've been trying a 1HP / Level 3 Nemesis (hacked save, of course) run, and I can't get past the second boss fight; the nemesis' firing rate is so terrible. I've uploaded two videos and one took me *six minutes* before I died.

I know of a fellow who took out [BOSS NAME REMOVED*] with only the Bubbler, and 3HP I believe. It was so awesome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 01:14:09 am »

I just cannot wait for this to be ported to the DS. For now, I have to make do (due?) with Win2DS, and it's painfully laggy. Still, Win2DS allows me to use my DS as a wireless 10-button configurable gamepad with a tablet-type mouse interface (using the touchscreen) so it isn't all bad. Anyone with a DS, wireless network, and the proper homebrewing hardware, look up this software. It is absolutely wonderful.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 01:22:14 am »

3rd Level Bubbler is epic. Nothing bad with it. 1st and to a lesser degree, 2nd, I'd be impressed.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:41 am »

Jenka's Revenge. Try it out after the first game, as it has a few spoilers.
Could you give a link? google has failed me...  :'(
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24