Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: House  (Read 8850 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: House
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 03:30:44 pm »

The character of House was taken directly from Holmes.  His name, even:  Holmes is pronounced "homes" which was turned into House for the character.  There's a whole bunch of interviews and such with the creators of the show about this.

There's web sites exploring this here: http://www.housemd-guide.com/holmesian.php and another here: http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/10/31/you-cant-have-house-without-a-holmes/ and another here: http://www.dangerousuniverse.com/2005/fw_reader/1-37.asp

Just a few of the more obvious similarities that you haven't already pointed out:
Drug addiction (Holmes: cocaine and morphine.  House: Vicodin)
Arrogance
Music (Holmes: violin. House: piano, guitar...)
Address (Holmes: 221B Baker St. House: Apartment 221B, street not given)
Mortal nemesis named "Moriarty" (Obvious in Holmes, and in House the man who shot him was named Jack Moriarty.)
Walking with a cane
You forget the most obvious one: Wilson = Watson.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 03:33:10 pm »

I find it admirable.  They try to insult everyone in equal measure, including their own beliefs.  They're not using their show to enforce their own political beliefs or to specifically point out flaws in opposing ideas, they're keeping the peace by giving everybody something to laugh at.

Instead of remaining neutral by not bringing up either side of a subject, they're remaining neutral by making fun of both sides of a subject.

Extremism, in any direction (including dead center), is dangerous and unhealthy.   They're poking extremism, not any particular direction of it. 

But then again, I happen to like South Park, so I guess I'm slightly biased.  Except for Mr. Hanky and Towelie...  Never been too impressed with either of those characters.  I am quite impressed with Timmy, however.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 03:45:58 pm »

I find it admirable.  They try to insult everyone in equal measure, including their own beliefs.  They're not using their show to enforce their own political beliefs or to specifically point out flaws in opposing ideas, they're keeping the peace by giving everybody something to laugh at.
It's not the show that does it that bothers me, after all it's for laughs or whatever. They are dead serious when they say, in person, that opposing ideas are always wrong and the middle of the road is the best approach and that's what they take, always.

Extremism, in any direction (including dead center), is dangerous and unhealthy.   They're poking extremism, not any particular direction of it.

Dead center extremism would be what better describes their attitude. They think, for example, that those who oppose the war on Iraq are stupid carebears, and those who support it are stupid warmongers. What is the middle point?

Again, I'm not talking about the show itself but about the people behind the show. It's just that watching the show reminds me of all those asshat statements of fact they make in person.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 03:51:04 pm »

I think they're trying to be deliberately unreasonable because expressing personal views one way or the other would alienate the opposing viewer base.  Again, annoying everyone by saying they take a position that does not exist will grievously insult fewer people than saying they take an actual position that has a opposite position.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 03:55:27 pm »

Well, either way, sorry for derailing the thread.

If you guys want to find some stupidly funny sketches go to YouTube and look for "A Bit of Fry & Laurie", there's dozens (nay, hundreds) of videos of their show and they are all hilarious (most, anyway). I'd link a few ones but I'm at work and I can't access YouTube right now.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:18 pm »

You know what show has really good continuity? Metalocalypse.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:32 am »

I'm not much of a TV person either. All of these talent shows are probably the worst. "Sitcoms" are just "Sit" and CSI and many others are horrible.

I have two favorite shows on the USA Network... Monk and House.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 04:54:14 am »

I'm drunk like a fish, sitting in my hotel room eating rice balls, so this might not be very coherent.

Anyway, Sergei...Sergius. I think the creators tried to press the Socratic method (which is what the show is mainly about) inside the plot as well. By expounding both the (as Kagus explained) extreme viewpoints, one good consensus can be had which should be bulletproof.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 06:09:58 am »

I'm not much of a TV person either. All of these talent shows are probably the worst. "Sitcoms" are just "Sit" and CSI and many others are horrible.

I have two favorite shows on the USA Network... Monk and House.

I like Monk and Psych.  Over here we don't get USA, obviously, but the Hallmark Channel has Monk and Judging Amy.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

Metalocalypse is the exact opposite of funny.  I have never, ever, ever once laughed at that show - and I've watched it countless times, mostly because it lies directly in between shows that I enjoy and once I've settled in to watch TV, I'm in for the night.

Though actually I don't watch a whole lot of TV anymore.  I used to.  Now it's a once- or twice-a-week thing.  Still.  Metalocalypse.  Unfunny to the nth power.  And though I've met many people who tell me it's hilarious, none of them have ever been able to give me a reason why, or even an example of something that's funny about it.

Someone please change my mind, cause I hate that half-hour of back-to-back Metalocalypse episodes that bores me to tears.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »

Dr. House yay.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 08:45:15 pm »

It takes me 3 hours to buffer an episode of House...

Sigh...

Only just finished the second season. I want to return back to civilization!
Pages: 1 2 [3]