Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 9354 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Headphones
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 03:12:06 pm »

Another weird one was at school, I heard a jumble of voices and then static for a few seconds.

I can light stuff on fire with my mind, wanna start a club?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 03:22:44 pm »

When I talk with myself, I keep reminding myself to say "I" and "me" rather than "you".  Because only crazy people say "you" when talking to themselves.

*Ahem*
I get weird stuff from time to time...  Sometimes I get something similar to an electric shock that shoots through my whole body.  I still haven't figured out what causes that feeling.

And I think I've had that random jumble of voices before...  But I'm pretty sure that I was dozing off at the time, and I can't remember ever getting "static".

EDIT:  Oh, and I get déjà vu all the time...  Can get annoying after a while, because you spend so much time trying to think back on whether or not you've actually been in that scenario before.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 03:33:41 pm »

I used to have large set of cheap headphones. Real good quality until... Well, I sort of gnawed through the wires. What? I was hungry. Anyway, after that I went wireless and now I've got issues not having headphones on. I tend to wear them even if I can't use them. Although, with the breaking of my PC I've been using the earbuds of my player.

I actually have quite a good set of speakers, but I only use them if someone is interested in hearing the same thing as me. Too bad that most people don't like crust-punk, ebm, industrial metal etc.

My déjà vus are rather strange. It like I knew that it was about to happen, but whatever I do the outcome is the same. Also, I've been in quite a few situations where I think\act according to what someone else is thinking\about to do, although I have no way of knowing that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »

Oh yeah?  Well, I have prophetic dreams!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 03:50:59 pm »

I can project voice from my imagination into my imagination. Also metavisual data. I also see static whenever I would otherwise see blank darkness.

Sometimes I "hear" a jumble of voices (they are usually voices I know speaking some phrases I heard or think I heard), and if it happens when I try to sleep, I have to silence them with a tune that would otherwise get stuck in my head. I think my imagination is too powerful for my own good. This power of imagination is greatly offset by terrible "random visual memory" - I cannot describe or reproduce in detail anything I imagine, though I instantly remember something I've seen if I see it again.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:18 pm »

I have a pair of earbuds that came with my little Creative Zen Nano. Though basic and earbuds they've lasted well over a year through ridiculous conditions, with no decline in performance.

Sometimes I "hear" a jumble of voices

[sillyreference] type "soundchaosdebug" and hit enter. [/sillyreference]

Since we're also speaking of extraordinary phenomena at this point, I should note that very odd stuff happens to my speakers and headphones. Sometimes they stop producing sound and let loose a firey, slowly ascending roar of what sounds like screaming and chanting at max volume, then they go silent nigh instantly. This happens if they're (in the case of the speakers) off, which really freaks me out.

I like to think my electronics are possessed by the Demon Ghost Horde.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 04:01:56 pm »

There was this one movie called "White Noise"...

My speakers react, though not exactly violently, to cellphones sending or receiving calls in their vicinity. In this case, they emit a high-volume "Tat, tat-tadat, tat-tadat, tat-tadat,..." series of sounds.

Speakers, as any unshielded electronics, will react to any EM waves in the vicinity. If you have a faulty microwave (for example), they might respond to it turning on.

edit: and btw, these kinds of "silly commands" actually work in my case, because my imagination is quite wide-range. For example, I've recently come to focus and arrange my thoughts by summoning my avatar (Sean Mirrsen, the controller) into an imagined room akin to a Portal-themed cubicle. I marvel at myself sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:04:51 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 04:19:22 pm »

I bet you could Lucid Dream really easily.

If I play a single computer game all day, when I go to sleep that night I'll see vague shapes resembling whatever happens in the game, and faintly hear the sounds of the game.  I also heard carts crashing together whenever I went to sleep when I was working as a bagger for Kroger.

Also, my speakers would do that, and my first computer's screen would undulate(Only word for it, tiny waves would ripple up and down the screen) whenever someone used the electric pencil sharpener.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION:  The onscreen image was doing this, not the monitor screen itself.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 04:35:52 pm »

I get that if I have a particularly loud and low belch.  What happens is that your retinas vibrate, giving the illusion of a vibrating screen.

And yeah, I know it's just the projected image that vibrates, and that it should theoretically cause the monitor itself to vibrate as well.  I think it has something to do with it being a refreshed image rather than a static one.

I've tried lucid dreaming before, but I never got the hang of it...  The thing is, I have a very strong sense of "dream logic", and so it's difficult for me to get the surreal quality required for lucid dreaming.

I mean, heck, I dream in third person.  If I'm in the dream at all.  Do I find anything strange about this?  Hell no. 

And yeah, I get game dreams too.  I think everyone does, after they've spent just a teensy too much time and attention on a particular game...  Especially a new game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 04:39:05 pm »

You haven't really lived until you've dreamed in Tetris.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 04:49:59 pm »

I had a lucid dream a few days ago, but it had been so long since I tried that when I realized I was dreaming I immediately lied down on a dream couch and forced my eyes open.  I didn't realize until a few minutes later what I had screwed up.

That's my main problem, when I realize I'm dreaming I tend to force my eyes open before I think to try something cool.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 04:59:31 pm »

I only remember one lucid dream of mine, and I realized I was dreaming near the end. I managed to fly for a few moments, but I soon woke up. Don't you hate it when you're half asleep still, thinking to yourself when you suddenly wake all the way?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Headphones?
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 05:28:46 pm »

I occasionally have lucid dreams which I become trapped in.  I know I need to wake up for something (the first time this happened I was taking a quick nap before a final exam) so I try to wake myself up, but I can't.  I am partially aware of what is going on around me in reality (I can hear people talking nearby and such), but I can't distinguish reality from the dream, since everything feels so real. 

I'll feel groggy, sit up on the bed or couch and start getting ready for what I need to do, then after a few minutes I close my eyes then open them to find I haven't gotten up at all.  I'll slap myself, pinch myself, look around, and everything seems normal, but I'm not sure if I'm awake yet - I go about my business just in case, panicked that I'm going to be late for what I need to do, then 'wake up' again and start all over.  This will happen several times before I wake up for real, and when I do wake up I won't be sure if I'm awake or not for a long time.  The scary part is that everything looks and feels normal - in most dreams things are out of whack, out of place, clearly not 'right' when I think about it, but when I finally do wake up for real, everything looks exactly like it did in the dream.  Everything FEELS real, too, including pinching myself, which is also unusual for a dream.  Normally I don't get any physical sensations from dreams.

It's all very disconcerting, and frustrating, and a little scary.  Sometimes I wonder if I've slipped into a coma or something.  When I finally do wake up, I feel more tired than I did when I went to sleep - drained and dehydrated, like I just climbed a mountain without water or something.

Someone suggested I was having out-of-body experiences, but somehow that sounds rather silly to me.  I do have several kinds of synesthesia including the kind where I can feel physically what other people are feeling (or what I perceive them to feel), so that could explain the physical sensation in the dreams.  I just don't know why it happens, and I've never met anyone else who had this happen to them.

So...  Weren't we talking about headphones?  :P

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 05:44:48 pm »

Sappho-I get that quite a bit as well. On one odd occasion I went to sleep at night, and in my dream I woke up and went through the WHOLE day, without even being conscious. When I really woke up I was exhausted, I had a horrible day.

Uh, yeah. About headphones. I use earbuds. All my headphones are broken or their felt has ripped off.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 05:52:16 pm »

Ooh, I know something even worse than that?  Have you heard of Old Hag Syndrome?  It's where you become conscious during deep sleep, and are still paralyzed.  It feels like someone's lying on top of you, and since you're still partially asleep you hallucinate, which is exacerbated by the fear associated with waking up paralyzed.  People talk about hearing cackling laughter, dark shapes moving around the room.  Crazy stuff, I almost want it to happen to me, just to see, I love hallucinating.  I actually anticipated trips to my gas-happy dentist, because she'd use it whenever there was a chance of pain.  Then my next dentist kept me on it for like an hour while he worked on my sister, and I almost threw up.  They said I had a reaction to it, and that I'd have to go without from now on.  Psh, I had a reaction to his negligence is more like it.  That was the craziest one ever though, it felt like I had fallen into concrete when it started, and when my head poked through all I saw was the spotlight, and it looked like a giant eye.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4