Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 9355 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Headphones
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 05:56:42 pm »

I am a strange person.

My father is a pilot, has been almost his entire life. Spent quite some time in the Air Force, and collected some kewl nick-knacks. Fatigues, hats, all kinds of sturf. A few of the kewlest things were a pair of massive headphones and a full-on fighter pilot type helmet, with the visor, air supply tube and everything. The thing was, the headphone plugs were designed for fighter jets, not civilian sound equipment. So I got some electrical tape, old headphones, and tin foil and carefully cut, wrapped and twisted some super-crude adapters. Now I have a nice, big, cushioned pair of stereo headphones with a big ol' air-traffic-controller style microphone, and a helmet with microphone, visors, and (unfortunately mono) built-in speakers. Plus, the little air-supply mechanism makes a neat Darth-Vader-esque noise.

My other feat of acoustic redneck engineering is my 8.1 surround sound. I have a crappy set of stereo speakers that crackle off and on, a $20 Wal-Mart 4.1 set of speakers, and a set of those big mid-eighties hi-fi speakers. I cobbled all of those together using about ten different adapters, a VCR, and some nice software included with my motherboard. Now, with their combined volumes, I have enough sheer power to level my house.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 06:01:16 pm »

Interesting.  I've never had lucid type dreams, although there have been a couple of times where I was at work and so tired that I was starting to fall asleep at the keyboard... then on the edge of consciousness where you start to hear voices and your mind wanders down weird paths, I've started typing.  Then I'll jolt awake and find that instead of new shareholder's name and address, I've entered a string of meaningless words out of my subconscious which I have to delete hastily and hope no-one saw.

I'm also familiar with the sensation of waking up in the morning, falling back into an unusually vivid dream, and then feeling exhausted afterwards as if the dream had worn me out.  Nothing as disturbing as that, though.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2008, 06:09:24 pm »

I've been known to lie in bed for over an hour, going in and out of consciousness.

And McDoomhammer, tell us some of the things you write!

Speaking of Air Force:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:11:36 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 06:13:32 pm »

On headphones: I can't really use the earbud type headphones for one reason. I have this annoying habit that causes me to subconsciously chew on the buds. I don't know why I do it, I suppose its nerves. One minute I will be listening to music on my iPod, the next I will be chewing on the earwax flavored treat.

On lucid dreams: Never had one. But when lying in bed I quite frequently fall asleep for a split second. In this split second I feel as if I am falling of my bed. This causes me to awake with a gasp, however I am still firmly on my bed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:17:38 pm by A_Fey_Dwarf »

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 06:14:36 pm »

Speaking of Air Force:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If he did it right, he might pull off shooting an arrow like that...but he may as well shoot his foot.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 06:21:31 pm »

Alas, I can't, because to date it's only happened on a couple of occasions, and each time I hastily deleted and promptly forgot the words.  It's not a state of affairs to encourage, but if it happens again I'll try to copy-paste the words and memorise or write them down to report.

I just remembered- apparently I talk in my sleep sometimes, and am actually capable of holding a limited conversation in this state.  The fiancee has reported one instance in which I was repeating a nonsense phrase that I uses in real life with vaguely negative connotations;  she asked if I was having a bad dream, I said "yeah".  I've also responded to "I love you" in kind while in this state.  I never have any memory of these, but my family have told me I've done this a couple of times too.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 06:25:35 pm »

My brother used to do that, you could talk to him in his sleep, but I don't remember what he'd say.
Shoes...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 07:13:52 pm »

My uncle suffered from sleepwalking when his son was a newborn, probably from all the stress and such associated with infant care. He would, without remembrance of anything, get out of bed, walk across the house, and eat twinkies.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 09:07:15 pm »

*Ahem*
I get weird stuff from time to time...  Sometimes I get something similar to an electric shock that shoots through my whole body.  I still haven't figured out what causes that feeling.

And I think I've had that random jumble of voices before...  But I'm pretty sure that I was dozing off at the time, and I can't remember ever getting "static".

EDIT:  Oh, and I get déjà vu all the time...  Can get annoying after a while, because you spend so much time trying to think back on whether or not you've actually been in that scenario before.

Wait wait wait! I too suffer from some kind of electric shock! I don't know the cause but it is happening sometimes.

And I feel deja vu too, and now I can vaguely tell what happening 2 second in the future (with 50 % chance)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 12:00:35 am »

For some reason there's something hilarious about the "I am a trader" under your avatar.  I don't know what it is though.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008, 01:24:02 am »

I bet you could Lucid Dream really easily.
Nope. I get that sometimes, usually on "coming out of sleep", but I have terrible random memory, I tend to very quickly forget the events I see unless they bear some significance or "impact". For example, I distincly remember believing our local powerplant (visible from our windows) had 3 high chimneys and 2 shorter ones, while in fact it has 2 of both. In a dream I remember, I was passing the plant on some kind of car, and the middle chimney fell and shattered. I don't know what to call this.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008, 01:31:33 am »

Playing a little too much of the airboat stages in Half-Life2?  Erectile dysfunction?  Fear of jelly-covered carnivorous slugs?

Dream interpretation is a fun subject.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008, 01:49:41 am »

I use headphones every time I use my computer.(read,at the time of this post)

When I go to sit down at my couch and play my xbox I occasionally catch myself wondering why my ears are so cold.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008, 04:33:47 am »

For some reason there's something hilarious about the "I am a trader" under your avatar.  I don't know what it is though.

What? What?
So I need to change this into, something more desireable?
How about 'Slavemaster' (read me sig)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 09:34:40 am »

Change nothing, it's great, I think it's something about seeing it right below the ROTK-looking guy.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4