Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Faith in humanity...  (Read 5314 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Faith in humanity...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:54 am »

What game is PKVII?

Pirate|Knight|Viking

I want 1!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 01:13:50 pm »

The original game was a modification for the first Half-Life.  Seeing as I don't have the first Half-Life, I can't play the first PVK.

Interestingly enough, most people seem to share your sentiment of wanting the first game.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:43 pm »

As for the archers, I have no idea...  The graphics and camera angle make it look like a cutscene, but the wonky way the arrows are shown makes it seem more like in-game play...  And that can't possibly be Savage.  Can you imagine that many people performing a coordinated effort?  The only time you can get folks together like that is when it's a behemoth rush.

It's just something about the way those archers are standing that reminds me of the Beast Grunts, but they didn't use Bows, so..
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 07:33:01 pm »

I'm not so sure if games are good for something anymore (I once decided that I'll manage my academic studies like a dwarven fortress striking the earth...).  Experiencing the subtleties of economy in Starcraft inspired me to think that becoming competent is worthwhile.

But other people who play games don't seem that great.  I mean, I've only been to a few internet communities.  I occasionally get a glimpse of other places though, like PVKII I guess, and it isn't very impressive.  The problem with the Internet is that I'm meeting the same people over and over again;  they keep following me around like some plague, wherever my browser goes.

Maybe there's nothing special about games, it could have been something else that I ran into that made me interested in studying things suddenly.  Or maybe it was actually something about me, responding differently (along with some others) to the same stimulation that everyone gets.

Perhaps the problem here is that I'm using reason alone and not being empirical.  Maybe there's also some empirical evidence out there that would restore your "faith in humanity".  But statistics seem to say that people are dumb.

Would it be enough if you met a bunch of smart people?  If 50 million geniuses could convince you that humans are still good for something, then why can't 50 geniuses do the same?

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 03:50:15 pm »

Well, humanity is the most suicidal and destructive species on the planet. And yes, we tend to be sadistic and back-stabbing ( seriously, I nearly throw up when I think about the Saw series... sick people! ).
But on the other hand, humanity has produced things such as Monty Python and Sam and Max, so things can't be that bad.
Can they?
Squeak?

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »

Please, ants are much more suicidal and destructive.  I've seen them go after one of those inch-long black crickets by the hundreds.  It was just rolling around  crushing them.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 05:02:10 pm »

How many minutes, approximately, had passed before the first wave of ants hit?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 05:19:45 pm »

It was like three years ago, I don't remember, all I remember is I lifted up a rock and the entrance to the colony was there, they were all out with the larva, and the cricket was there.  It was literally coated in ants, rolling around in what must've been horrible agony, assuming the ants could've even stung it,  There were dead ants all around it, and some of them were still clinging to it with their jaws.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 05:19:52 pm »

Some ants protect the hive from attcking termites/other colonies by literally exploding in a mess of formic acid.  Which is one reason I kind of like the theory that ants are more like cells in one great organism, the colony.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 05:25:57 pm »

My favorite insects are antlion larva(The real ones, not Half Life ones).  I remember, it must've been at least 10 years ago when I first noticed this, but there were like five of them in the dust right along the foundation of my grandmother's house.  I saw them, and I immediately knew I had found a new sick pastime.  I started getting pillbugs from her garden and tossing them into the pits.  Crazy stuff, they'd toss sand at the pillbugs until they lost their footing, then you'd just see these jaws come out of the sand and drag them under.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 05:26:31 pm »

I remember seeing something about those ants on TV one time...  Kamikaze supersoldiers.  I haven't been able to find any more documentation on the subject however...  Pity.

Ants are amazing...  That program also included a little bit about ant military tactics (sounds weird, but apparently they flank and use deceptive maneuvers against enemy hives), and how the soldier caste have mandibles that are so big they can't feed themselves.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 05:30:23 pm »

I read somewhere that some form of seed-eating ants have a specialized ant that turns the seeds into a bread-like substance, it's supposed to be so big that worker ants can't turn their heads high enough to see it all the way.

Then there's those honeypot ants.
Shoes...

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 12:54:20 am »

my faith is slowly dwindling away as well

mostly due to how stupid some people can be

and how pointless are reasons for fighting are

we people in ajgdiuagafh vkjhnfu vyn v believe the god of cheese rainbows and ants but the people of wegugkejhvgb hdgfyegf e dont! we declare war!
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.
Pages: 1 [2]