Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which arc do you want to see done after the Army and Presentation arcs?

Combat arc
- 12 (6.2%)
Bustling town arc
- 12 (6.2%)
Fire and lighting arc
- 11 (5.7%)
Burrows, transportation arc
- 28 (14.5%)
Caravan arc
- 48 (24.9%)
County arc
- 9 (4.7%)
Relationships arc
- 1 (0.5%)
Diplomacy arc
- 10 (5.2%)
Affiliation arc
- 3 (1.6%)
Scenarios arc
- 1 (0.5%)
Artifact arc
- 8 (4.1%)
Life cycle arc
- 5 (2.6%)
Adventurer skills arc
- 42 (21.8%)
Other (Please specify)
- 3 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Which arc do you want to see done after the Army and Presentation arcs?  (Read 3307 times)

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile

Poor Relationships and Affiliation arcs. Nobody wuvs you.

Sobaalissimo

I think the presentation arc is the most important one at the moment (and thus I voted for other(please specify)).
Interface is too complex at the moment - it would be neat to be able to control DF completly with mouse - right button context menu, anyone?
Imagine - you right-click on a dorf and choose preferences -> job preferences -> preset -> brewer and you have a brewer...

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I really want to see done is the county arc. However I voted for the caravan arc, because it feels like a few of the things it introduces, like resource tracking will be essential to being able to do the county arc right.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"What about Dead Rising, and IVAN?"

A perfect example of a Success and Failure in improvised weaponry department.

Dead Rising is excellent and doesn't make most of the objects you pick up feel useless (Heck even the Lightsword which does almost no damage has a use). Sure a stack of CDs isn't as useful as a Katana, however it can come through for you in a pinch.

IVAN though it allows you to use everything as a weapon... There are only two non-weapons that are useful (however they are secretly weapons... they just don't show their stats). It took me a while to realise that after my 5th "Bread through"

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Imagine - you right-click on a dorf and choose preferences -> job preferences -> preset -> brewer and you have a brewer...

That sounds horrible.  Keyboard >> Mouse.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mouse == Fast
Keyboard == Accurate

This is for selection only now, remember.  Not talking about keyboard shortcuts.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mouse for dwarf selection, maybe.  I don't want to navigate 5 submenus to change preferences, though.  At this point the less-accurate mouse loses speed because you have to wait for submenus to open or navigate back when you miss.

The point is moot, since presumably keyboard input will always be an option.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For a game this complicated, you have to retain a pretty robust set of keyboard inputs, but there are still plenty of areas where mouse support would be awesome and handy.

Glutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All of them are interesting. But I agree with people saying that most important now is presentation arc. Of course no 3D graphic... but simplifiing and uniting the interface:

1) Uniting - jsut now, there are very similar things done in different ways. Just creating "rooms" is done in 3 ways... I - zones menu to choose where will be the water source, meeting arena... P to select where will be the storage area. And from the furniture to select where will be the dining room, etc. In my opinion... this should be united. Is there really so big difference between storage room, meeting room and dining room that they can not be disignated in the same (or at least very similar intuitive) way?

2) And it would be nice to have, already mentioned, right-click popup menus and hints. Just hovering mouse cursor over object will bring popup hint with same info as K function. Right click popup menu could easily provide access to build queues. Labor preferences,....

3) Ingame help - the game should contain basic informations about things/buildings/... inside. FD-Wiki is nice. But it is not too confortable to search for everything. One reason - it is slow. Second - there is too much info. Just now, the game interface can contain three parts - fortress+menu+minimap. The minimap is almost useless. It would be nice to have a oportunity to swith this part for the help window showing details about selected thing in the menu. Meaning - if I will select Millsone workshop it will show me info: What labor have to be turned on. What materials are used by it. What is produced by it. If it produce something like coal - it can even tell what this is good for... Or when I will be in preferences-labor menu... it should contain info in what building is this used. When i will be inside farm preferences planning what will be grown there - the halp windows should show me informations about the selected plants - outdoor/indoor, what can be cooked/brewed/created from them... etc

4) Extending graphical tilesets... even now, some symbols are used for more objects. Or even letters are used for objects (end of smoothed wall is O. Layer z -1 is made of dots...) - when somebody is creating tilesets... he needs to keep the letters inside graphical fortress, or ruin the writen texts :-/ There should be possible (not nned to be enabled by default) to have different tile for each object. It would be up to the players/moders hove much they will use this.

After these 4 steps are improved, i suppsoe the game will be much more open for new players = more fans = more donation = less chance that Toady will find another work :-) = ensurance, that all other arc (and some more) will be done and finished in the future.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip

Point 4 is very important. Makes sense to allow many tiles the same way the object tilesets do (with scaleable tile sizes and what not). Then, allow everything in the raws to define their own tile, and bammo, easy tileset support. Best to do that while gutting code anyways when Toady allows custom # of tiles shown on-screen.

To everybody wanting 32x32 tilesets: you already could use one (if one existed), you just don't have a moniter big enough for 'em.

EDIT:Voted for adventurer skills. The vote is flawed anyways, much of the caravan arc is going to be done while Toady does the army arc. The presentation arc should be in the vote, and arcs done concurrently (diplomacy and relations arcs) should be one category.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:05:41 pm by Mr.Person »
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com

I wouldn't mind seeing some things lost between 2d and 3d versions such as:
* A better underground river system - the 3d one is always short and violently winding back and forth and through z-levels, and only in mountains.  It would be nice to have it eventually lead out to a river at surface level.
* (underground) River monsters that are hidden until they decide to ambush you.  They are also so abundant that you can't really use the underground rivers because the Dwarves are always being distracted by something, but if you kill them off, you don't get any more from downstream or upstream.
* Seasonal floods.  I really miss these.  I actually loosing a random dwarf to the floods, or having to figure out how to rescue him from the little alcove he got washed to down the river.
* The Mordor-esque cliff face to dig into.
* Difficult farming.  I wouldn't mind being required to dig a water channel next to a farm plot for irrigation.  It doesn't have to be constantly filled with water, just occasionally or the plot dries and becomes unusable temporarily.  That could also replace the need to put the entire plot on mud.  If placed next to a water channel, the farmers would make the plot muddy from the channel.
* Killer fortress-invading elephants.  Oh, how I miss the days of my first fortresses when a pissed elephant chased my would-be hunter into the one-tile-width hallway of my fortress and slaughtered many.  Loosing is so much more fun when I don't have to try to loose. :(

...should I be posting this in the "Suggestions" forum?  I might have gone overboard with the descriptions here.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile

I think the presentation arc is the most important one at the moment (and thus I voted for other(please specify)).
Interface is too complex at the moment - it would be neat to be able to control DF completly with mouse - right button context menu, anyone?

I didn't add that as an option, because apparently Toady is doing the Presentation arc directly after the army arc.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

adventure skill arc withought a second thought for me ;)

i cant wait for my adventurer to have some reason to kill the dragon more than just because the mayor asked you to do it for no reward just before you slaughtered his entire village. wearing a drgon skull helmet and a dragon leather coat feels so much more rewarding too when you make it yourself out of a dragon you just wrestled to death with your bare hands than simply going in your abandoned fort to pick it up.

also, i hope the adventurer will be able to mine and build (atleast a bit). its also nice to build yourself a small cabin in the jungle, or mine out that black diamond vein you saw protruding out of the mountain on your way to the goblin towers :D

but ounce i think about it, i actually wish ALL the arcs would be done ASAP. i like the artifact arc for its secrets and surprises, the caravan arc for the advanced economy (and possible multy-fortress management and/or extended sites), the combat arc for its even greater gory action, the affiliations arc for an actual reason to kill the king other than you "got bored" (by joining an assassin's guild?)...

I put all my trust into Toady One, knowing that whatever he chooses, it's for the best of the game, and that he won't just abandon the game when he gets bored of it like so many other "amateur" gmae-makers do :D:D:D
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none

Medicine Arc! Our wounded needs some healing!
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I voted county arc - I don't only want to visit towns, I want to conquer & rule them, dishing out hammerings and dwarven beer alike.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4