Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommendations, anyone?  (Read 2667 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Recommendations, anyone?
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:25:54 am »

The idea behind this topic is simple. First, it is important for everyone to admit that they love forcing their opinions on other people. Second, it is important for everyone to admit that having a topic for every little game that anyone on the face of the Earth has ever played, is completely infeasible. Thus, I propose the following thread:

On each page, we discuss any game that we might recommend for other lovers of DWAAARF FORTRESS. Any game is, well, fair game, and is chosen by the poster who's comment is at the top of the current page. So, I would recommend the first game, and the eleventh (there's ten posts per page, right?) poster would recommend the next game, but as soon as we hit the next page, all discussion of the previous game must end. If you accidentally post on the wrong page, just edit your post to be relevant to the current game and put your original comment in a 'spoiler' tag at the beginning of your post.

So, who's up for some vidgeogames? Only time will tell how well this idea will fare. Thus, to kick it off, so to speak, I propose the first recommendation for ye lovers of DWAAARF FORTRESS.

A weeee little game known as Stronghold Crusader. It entails, much as DWAAARF FORTRESS does, the management of a fortress full of blundering morons, via construction of farms and barracks and workshops and all sorts of little structures. The biggest difference between the two is that Stronghold involves a much more traditional RTS base, in that you must create vast armies and lead them to dominate your enemy. How many of ye fellows have played such a game? By the way, sequels and prequels and all manner of related expansions are up for discussion. Including Legends. And Extreme.

Oh, and if this topic should be resigned to the graveyard that is the second page because nobody seems interested in the current choice of game, an emergency resolution can be passed by a 5/7ths majority vote of its constituents, so long as the new game is the same genre. A 7/9ths majority is required for any unprecedented swap in genre.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:52:57 am »

Never heard of it, and the inefficiency of the current system is very comforting.
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:57:31 am »

Stronghold 1, Awesome game. Crusaders, Great game. Stronghold 2, only reason I liked it was because of the monks. Legends, horrible. Horrible.

Also I'm sure it is 15 posts a page.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 02:02:37 am by Torak »
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 02:07:25 am »

Aye, Stronghold 2 was saddening...  I loved the first game though.  Never did get around to trying Crusaders...  I saw legends in a store one time.  Thought about picking it up, but went for Dark Messiah instead.  I think I agree with my decision.

Ah, Stronghold...  Such a glorious blossom...  You know, I never did get around to making that Minas Tirith castle like I wanted to (it's possible, with clever use of cliffs), and then setting up a siege made up of hundreds of spearmen, macemen, ladder carriers and siege towers.  Ahh, that would've been brilliant...

Oh, by the way, the amount of posts shown per page is user-defined.  If you're going to enforce such short discussions, I suggest a post limit rather than a page limit.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 02:13:24 am »

Heh,nice recommendation,but I already own it! :)

Actually thats wrong,I own two copies so that I can play lan games in my house. ;D

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:29:04 am »

Actually thats wrong,I own two copies so that I can play lan games in my house. ;D

Crusader requires neither the CD or a CD key. One copy could be distributed among everyone on the planet without a problem.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 11:28:58 am »

Never heard of it, and the inefficiency of the current system is very comforting.

QFT (LQTM)

Plus if every game has its own thread, people who search can find the single conversation about that game in one place and not have to skip around. And if I read a thread about Game1 I don't want to be distracted by people talking about Game2.

Furthermore, a single game generally won't garner enough interest to push the pagecount over 10 or so. Most threads in this subforum appear to be 1-4 pages long. That's nice from an organizational perspective.

Let's say you're writing down ideas for books you'd like to write. Are you going to stick it all in one huge Word file? Or will you have a folder with a bunch of Word files in it, each named based on the book that you'd stick that idea into?

(But maybe I'm just weird)

(Okay I'm weird, but does that have an impact on my opinions on this thread?)

(Maybe)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 12:01:41 pm »

Crusader requires neither the CD or a CD key. One copy could be distributed among everyone on the planet without a problem.

Then why is it that it didn't work when I tryed it that way?

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:32:25 pm »

Would chime in here with my own suggestion, but I'm not sure how this forum responds to self-promotion.
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:35:50 pm »

Probably  been mentioned loads of times, but Mount & Blade for obvious awesomeness.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 01:18:59 pm »

A bit of a note here, the posts per page is an option in your profile. I have mine on 50, so it would be best to go by post number.
Eh?
Eh!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 02:01:03 pm »

Oh goodie, I get the second recommendation.

Well, probably not so much of a recommendation, since a loit of you will most likely already have it...  But Dungeon Keeper 2 is a very good game, regardless of how stuck-up any official critics might be about it.

Admittedly, I played the DK series backwards...  Because of this I did not have any expectations carried over from the equally awesome original.  Apparently, several people were let down somehow...

This game, despite all the bugs, is absolutely brilliant.  I can't tell you how many days I spent locked into crafting a dungeon for my minions, or capturing a load of heroes so that I could stick them in my prison and make them fight over a chicken.

I actually spent most of my time designing my fortress...  I very rarely won a multiplayer game, but the other players remarked on how good my fort looked.  I took special care with the lair, as depending on what kind of creatures you have you need to style it differently...  Also, most walls will look better if you pave the hallway with a mostly useless room, so that it gets that room's special wallpaper.

I would also like to draw attention to the map editor...  It wasn't until a long time after I started playing that I first booted this beastie up, and discovered all the wonderful things you could do with it (and all the many things you could not).

I made a couple maps that I am particularly proud of...  Due to the fact that I would never be able to make a "balanced" map, I decided to screw standard maps and make something unusual.  The first map was an imp race, where each player is automatically thrown into the little head of a worker imp, and then they race against each other and avoid traps (and monsters) on a long, winding race track.  The first one to reach the finish line wins, especially if he's still alive.

The second one was my magnum opus...  A Dungeon Keeper RPG.  Each player is thrown into the driving seat of a different hero, and they all work together to fight their way through a series of levels, each with their own environments, hidden stashes, traps, and bosses.

I was particularly impressed with the very last boss, where I used a modified version of one of the princes. The tall, lean stature, dark angel animations, and dark, mysterious voice (he was wearing a helmet) all contributed to a very imposing (and very dangerous) boss.  And he had a couple dark mistresses to keep him company.

Furthermore, apparently the game keeps some special music handy for when you're fighting important characters...  So when you step into the evil-looking bossfight area and the prince notices you, this perfect bossfight music kicks in and your adrenaline pumps you up for a hell of a ride.

When he dies, rubble starts to fall from the ceiling and a new passageway is made clear after a few walls fall down.  Through there is a hero gate, and victory is granted when someone steps on it.

Damn that was beautiful...   The whole level was amazing, I loved the way it turned out...  Better than I ever could have expected.

So, yeah...  I never uploaded it, and I lost that installation of DK2.  I'm pretty sure that level is gone, unless I take the time to make another one.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 05:39:58 pm »

A bit of a note here, the posts per page is an option in your profile. I have mine on 50, so it would be best to go by post number.

Oh. Ruination. Well, in that case, go with each 10th post. So, the one above me is fine.