Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Query RE: undead in upcoming version  (Read 1372 times)

TherionChilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Query RE: undead in upcoming version
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:22:37 am »

I have been unable to find any direct discussion in announcements / FotF / etc. regarding the disposition of the undead in the upcoming version, so I hoped to bask in the transcendent knowledge of my more well-informed fellows.  Specifically, has there been any mention of plans to "fix" (a loaded term, I know) the somewhat intimidating immortality of the evil biome-spawned re-animated dead and their ever-so disturbing undying body parts which tend to multiply geometrically until atom-smashed?  I know opinions on the matter vary, and to be clear, I am personally in the group that believes that while the undead are a wonderful addition to fortress mode, the eventual mass of severed limbs, sinews, and skins crawling toward my dwarves like some macabre army of flesh-slugs can be a tad bit game-breaking, and causes me to avoid biomes which I would otherwise be, in the vernacular of the peasantry, "all up on's."

Does anyone know of plans to change how these infinitely divisible zeds function in-game, or is this accepted as their final form?  I greatly appreciate your patience in perusing my somewhat pedantic illocution, and eagerly await rejoinder, be it equally punctilious, playfully abstruse, or prosaically direct.
Video games should be more like life...  you never win; they just get harder and faster until you eventually die.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Query RE: undead in upcoming version
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:28:27 am »

Body parts will now pulp once they sustain enough damage, and become un-riseable.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

TherionChilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:36:31 am »

Thank you for your swift and direct, if somewhat wit-free response, Witty.  :)

Zombie-bird horde, this time you're going down!
Video games should be more like life...  you never win; they just get harder and faster until you eventually die.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:22:24 am »

Body parts will now pulp once they sustain enough damage, and become un-riseable.

Hell yes. I used to love embarking in evil zones before the endless-reanimation bug.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:17 pm »

Well, it will be interesting to see if all types of damage will apply to "pulping" of the body part.
Some "undead" should also in my opinion be more susceptible to different types of damage as long as they are not created by an nearby necromancer , for example :

Zombies : Zombie rules should apply (destroy the brain, burn the body etc etc).
Skeletons : Smashing / Bashing weapons are more effective.

Of course it does not "have to be" like this, but it would really be neat if undead could be configured somewhat to fit your playing style.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:49:55 pm »

I believe only blunt things will pulp, but keep in mind most weapons have an alternative blunt attack anyway (shaft of spear, flat of sword/axe, etc)
I doubt however the AI will be smart enough to use those attacks more often, but they should EVENTUALLY pulp stuff with random kicks and punches
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:32:21 am »

I believe only blunt things will pulp, but keep in mind most weapons have an alternative blunt attack anyway (shaft of spear, flat of sword/axe, etc)
I doubt however the AI will be smart enough to use those attacks more often, but they should EVENTUALLY pulp stuff with random kicks and punches

maybe if you give all your swordsdwarfs shields for pulping
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it