Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.  (Read 28708 times)

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »

SPECIES REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. IF INTERESTED IN PLAYING A DEITY, CONTACT VIA EMAIL.

Since it's the trendy thing to do, and I've always loved forum games, let me introduce my game, Evolution. It is a direct rip-off of other Evolution games, so truly, it's not mine. But anyway, to the rules. The goal of the game is whatever you make of it. Total world dominance? Sure. Grand structure? Awesome. Basically, the only goal is survival. You get 50 Evo Points to invest in whatever you want. The scale at which you spend them is 1 for 1 until you get to 10, then 2 for 1, ect. So, as an example, I evolve claws to 15 points. It would take 20 EP to get there, 10 for 1-10, 10 for 11-15. Evo points are spent whenever you make an advance in any way. Language, tentacles, and pottery are all examples of things you can spend EP on. The more EP there is in something, the more knowledge you have about it, the stronger it is, ect. 1 point in something is practically a waste, because it's just beginning it's development. Total mastery is reached at 50 points, which takes 150 EP total. You get EP in many ways, this will be detailed later.

When making your creature, keep in mind a few things. First of all, if your creatures have no way of communicating, they cannot share ideas. Language of some type is very important, even mandatory. However, how this language works is completely up to you, and I'll accept anything from speech to vibrations and eye winks. With that note, senses are standard, but at a low level. If you want to see farther, you invest EP. And as a general guideline, make sure your tech/magic/knowledge tree makes sense. Your creatures can not start building nukes without knowing anything about metalworking, radioactive material, propulsion systems, ect. If you need to know how much EP you have to invest until I'll allow a higher tier ability (Language to Tactics, or Poetry, for example.) feel free to ask. Know that it will definitely take 10 at the very least.

There are deities in this world, but you do not know anything about them. They will be added if you discover them with religion or they take an interest in you. Also, if this game gets enough people that want to play, I may let some people become deities, but do know that this does not make you all-powerful. You also have rules to follow.

I'm working on a map. You shall begin play with four hexes that are next to each other. Expansion is possible and encouraged, as your creatures grow and breed, there will be a need to expand. If your creatures are large, they will be strong but they will need more space very quickly. On the note of population size, assume creatures give birth to one baby at a time and the creature takes 40% of its lifespan to grow up. Default population is 20,000, spread over the four hexes evenly. You must note whether your creatures are carnivores, herbivores, or omnivores. Omnivores are a flexible option, but they do not absorb as many nutrients from their food and require both plants and animals to stay healthy. Land also has a animal and plant density rating from 1-10. The numbers will be separate and will be a good indicator as to how many creatures can live there. Obviously, these number can be changed depending on several factors, like farming, extinction hunting, random drought, angry deity, ect.

As a final note, the more interesting and RP-ish your post is, the more likely you are to get good results. This is to encourage interesting gameplay and creatures.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:04:48 pm by Fualkner »

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 01:46:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Populations and Hex Information:

Base EP Division rate this turn: 7000
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:06:30 pm by Fualkner »

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:46:21 pm »

Aqizzar's Kadesh

Sean's Mii'Ari

Duke 2.0's Shrike

Nilocy's Jhiar'd

Dwarmin's Morrosur

Tokay's Tokay (RECURSION AAAAAAAAAA)

NonAnonymous's Nahuantl

a1s's Plantwe
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:32:40 am by Fualkner »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:53:58 pm »

So... wait. Let me get this straight. This is, for all intents and purposes, a Spore MUD?

If I just described the primary race from an RP universe I tried to make, would that qualify?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 01:55:51 pm »

You know what, I think I'll just watch as well...perhaps later I'll join if a slot opens. I will be watching though, this is very interesting. I've always wanted to do something like this, I've tried various times with paper and pencil, which all failed horribly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 02:39:32 pm by Helmaroc »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »

I think we need him to finish his map first.
I suppose afterwards he'll hand out handfuls of evo points and let us customize our creatures before dumping them onto the map.
I don't think my race of warrior felines will fit into any bound he's set. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 02:03:24 pm »

sign me up.

nevermind, just sign me up.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:02:24 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »

So... wait. Let me get this straight. This is, for all intents and purposes, a Spore MUD?

If I just described the primary race from an RP universe I tried to make, would that qualify?

In a way, yes. Except much more deep. You can literally do anything you want.

Also, you start with 50 points, so you can build your creatures now and place them where you want later.

@Sean: Why wouldn't you be able to do warrior felines?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 03:34:23 pm »

Way too complex.:) There are several anatomical quirks, they have minor innate psi-discipline ability and psi-technique affinity, plus the usual stuff with slim, yet powerful build and sharpened senses. They still dislike water though. :)

By "won't fit" I meant the starting allotment of points. 50 EP ain't altogether much, but I don't suppose that's for building the creature from scratch. Specifically, I mean to say - what is a creature with 0 EP spent on it, if EP is spent on "improving"?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:37:11 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

As said, finish the map first. I'm not yet sure if I'm in.
I've taken the liberty of posting a map that I have made for a similar idea, but that never saw daylight.

With grey being stone, blue water, dark brown woods and green plains.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 04:58:33 pm »

Way too complex.:) There are several anatomical quirks, they have minor innate psi-discipline ability and psi-technique affinity, plus the usual stuff with slim, yet powerful build and sharpened senses. They still dislike water though. :)

By "won't fit" I meant the starting allotment of points. 50 EP ain't altogether much, but I don't suppose that's for building the creature from scratch. Specifically, I mean to say - what is a creature with 0 EP spent on it, if EP is spent on "improving"?

The point of the game is to earn EP to use to make your creature better. You make whole new catagories as you evolve. For example, say I make a blob as my creature. I want my blob to grow arms, so I invest 5 EP the next turn to grow some arms. Your starting EP is so you can get some individuality to start off with. You get EP by just surviving, expanding your empire, building impressive structures, attacking monsters and other players, etc. Then you spend the EP you earn on upgrades to your creature. So your cat-warriors would work perfectly.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:09 pm »

Sounds fun.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:12:08 pm »

Map is up! Get making your creatures and choose your positions! I'm thinking 6 people will fit comfortably on this map, and then there can be many more deities.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:30:36 pm »

I'm kind of confused on how to start.  :-[

Yes, I'm asking for help.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:38:22 pm by Helmaroc »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 09:36:59 pm »

I think I'll join in later, as I'd like to see it in action first. It does sound pretty fun. =D

Also. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of Spore. XD
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10