Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.  (Read 28722 times)

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game.
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 02:51:41 pm »

Wait. Aquizzar's creatures use over 50EP, yet they are accepted? I think I missed something.
Redo your math. I see no problem with it

20 EP from Speed, + 5 from Fiber Use = 25. 5 * 3 = 15 + 10 from amfibious = 25. 25 * 2 =  50.

Oh, sorry. I understand now, I was adding the second numbers that refer to the next turn's changes, correct?
No. EP is spent at 1 for 1 basis, until you reach 10 points in a catagory. After that, it costs 2 EP to get 1 point in  a catagory. To get 15 points in speed, it takes 20 EP. 10 to get to 10, 10 to get to 15.

@Nilocy: Your creatures look okay, but how did they develop the ability to use tools? I see no tool development evolution. Also, your creatures have no ability to detect vibration above the norm, so everyone will be able to sense this vibration from the Head's call ability. They may not realize the meaning, but they will detect the vibrations. You may still alter your creatures, but until i see a few points in tool development, they can't possibly know how to use them.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 02:54:50 pm »

I know that part, I...bleh. I'll be watching!  :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 03:07:17 pm »

Helmaroc: To clarify my species' EP spending, the first number (the one after the trait) is the trait's current level, the second number (after the colon) is the total of EP points spent on it.  I haven't added anything yet, since I haven't taken a turn.  Don't let a little math and my poor formatting turn you off, this'll be fun.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 03:09:32 pm »

The current level? I actually typed up a creature, just to delete it before posting. Nah, I'll watch. I just end up dropping out of most forum games anyway.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:13:22 pm by Helmaroc »

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 03:55:26 pm »

Resources are collected by saying you're collecting them. I'm not keeping track of how much of everything you have, just keep it reasonable. Water has small amounts of wood (Driftwood) As do plains and deserts have the occasional tree. Large quantities of wood, stone, etc. will be found in the places you expect them to be. Keep in mind that this planet is not Earth, so weird plants, stones, and other things are very likely to appear. Things evolve on this planet quicker, so the time period of a turn will be anything from 10-20 years. I haven't decided quite yet, but somewhere in there will be good. This will allow most of the creatures to have a leader to RP through if they desire. If the leader wouldn't live that long, then at least you'll have a lineage that isn't ridiculously long.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:32:20 pm by Nonanonymous »

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »

I've got 5 EP left, and I'm not sure what I should do with them.  Do I need to use EP to give them the ability to climb and swim?  Also, I'll try to come up with a picture of them for you, but I don't have a scanner or tablet, so it'll probably suck.

Looks good, but those 5 EP would be good to invest into the colour changing thing you mentioned in language. They shouldn't be able to do that without it being evolved. They can climb and swim automatically, but not very well. Since your species seems to be made of monkeys, I'd have them develop the colour changing later and add those points to climbing.

Also, Right Click the map then click view image. It'll open a new window and you'll be able to see the key. Light Green is Forest, Dark is Plains.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:13:56 pm by Fualkner »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 04:26:50 pm »

Okay here goes, Tell me how i did-as you can see I made a race that is both culturally regressed and is trying to adapt to a new habitat lol this should be a challenge.
Edit i fixed it up

Morrosur

Description: Morrosur are a mammalian species akin to the terrestrial hog in features with two arms and legs 4 toes on each foot and 5 fingers. They seem to be permanently hunched over under the weight of their thick fur, though they walk on two legs. Individuals grow quite large-8 feet and 250 pounds plus are the norm for a fully-grown adult. They are tight knit people, prone to secrecy and value wisdom and the eldest of their clans as the important members of society, and in death even their bones are valued as important heirlooms to be passed down to their family members. They live in the colder Northern forests, building and foraging and warring with little thought to others. Weapon making is unknown to them-in combat they merely charge toward the opponent booming deathcalls and attempt to wrestle him to death.

Diet: Omnivore, though they prefer fungus if they can get it
Lifecycle: Reach maturity and breeding age at 50 or 60 and are considered old at 150, with a good supply of food and a comfortable place to live they could in theory up to 200
Location: V5 and the surrounding forested area, the mountains at U6 house only a remnant of their race that is rapidly migrating to the lowlands or dying off due to lack of genetic stock.

+10 Thick Fur-Central to the Morrosur is their thick coat of fur that covers nearly all their body. Its is obviousley used for warmth and provides meager protection against blows. Most colors are dull brown or red, and rarely white or black-which are both considered omens, with white being negative and black being positive-it a strange cultural oddity that exists in the entire race.

+10 long Life-Morrosur tend to live very long lives if they have safety and a good source of food. They have some immunity to diesease and can survive being injured to an extent greater than usual.

+8 Enhanced Smell-Morrosur have begun living above ground in the recent millennia and have developed a sense of smell that allows them to detect their favorite foods that they have trouble locating by sight, though its only dominant in a quarter of their population.

+5 Digging-Another obsolete trait, Morrosur spade like hands can be use to dig out the earth for shelter or food. It is slowly dying trait, and one that will be bitterly missed-Morrosur still prefer the safety of the Earth but have long since abandoned the tunnels for the greater room and food available on the surface.

+2 Language-Morrosur language is lacking, consisting of simple grunts and hand gestures. Lack of communication has led to much woe among the disparate clans, who often use similar signals for completely different meanings and vice versa.

+5 Hooting-Though they sometimes may seem placid, when threatened they can let out tremendous blasts of sound heard for miles round, serving as warning. Subtle differences in pitch and rhythm are used in different clans as a way of identification.

+3 Tremor sense-In times past Morrosur were burrowers, and often dug into the ground for shelter. As such they have developed the ability to feel out tremors in the grounds, though this ability is getting rare..

+7 Strong Digestion-A Morrosur is a very efficient digester, and can eat nearly anything, even things that might be poison to other races. They have even been known to eat slain Morrosur from other clans in the belief that they can gain their strength-and of course it is an honor to be consumed in death by the noble warrior who defeated you, as long he returns your bones to the clan he belonged to.

Disadvantges:

Clan Mentality-Most members of the Morrosur race have extremely tight family and clan bonds, and honor and dignity are considered the vital traits in their culture. As a people they are hostile to the unknown and have been know to even war against each other for minor insults and miscommunications.

Slow Growth-Morrosur grow very slowly and are born infrequently, adulthood being reached at 60 years, though this lends to their strong cultural bonds.

Poor Eyesight-A product of their past, Morrosur have poor eyesight, especially at night.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:44:38 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 05:21:32 pm »

Fualkner i changed my race around a bit, did away with tools. just gave them claws instead.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 06:29:21 pm »

Hmmm....  About where on a creature's evolution are we supposed to be starting out?  I'm starting to feel like I've gone too far ahead with my current version of the Nahuantl, maybe I should make them more like just a conventional lizard creature before I get to tool use and hand-like manipulators?

EDIT:  As in, evolution along the path to a highly sentient creature.

Other edit:  I'm suddenly considering a cluster of advanced nanites and trying to 'evolve' that.

Edit again:  As for the Nahuantl's life cycle, I'm not sure what is the most fitting.  My guess is that since they lay eggs, they would have more children than humans on average, and their lifespan should be cut in comparison by maybe...  30 years?  I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:34:12 pm by Nonanonymous »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 05:28:17 am »

Disadvantges:
can we gain some EP by taking disadvanteges? (everyone will tell you that having them is half the fun, but it feels wrong to intentionally cripple your species...)

as for now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:06:51 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 06:33:09 am »

Well i mostly put them in to RP, Im sure theyll be balanced if theyre taken seriousely. As my race begins to evolve away from the caves I will evolve bad eyesight away, clan mentality is more of a trait that pertains to diplomacy and slow growth is fairly obvious for such a long lived species i think.
Im not much of a metagamer lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:12:14 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:42 am »

Question number 2. How does the deities system work?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 07:34:52 am »

...a *Plant* can unpant itself and...
I think you missed a letter somewhere. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 08:08:13 am »

Question number 2. How does the deities system work?
noone knows. basically once you discover religion you will be told, but not before. (my guess is that even Faulkner doesn't know, in the interest of getting this game to start faster  ;))
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:32:28 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10