Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Marksdwarves refuse to train at archery target  (Read 1950 times)

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves refuse to train at archery target
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:30 am »

I've had a very similar problem (40d).  All of my military dwarves sparred for a while and becames wrestlers, mostly champions and elites.  Later,  I switched them to crossbows.  Currently they all equip crossbows, but almost none of them will use the archery ranges.  They will spar with the crossbows.  They will not pick up ammo.  My one fortress guard, who was put in it because of nervous system injury, WILL use the archery ranges.  And, every now and then, one of my less skilled wrestlers will use the archery range.

I suspect it is some kind of variant of the phenomenon where a dwarf will use his/her highest skill in combat.

Additionally, when I unassigned my barracks, all the military dwarves went on to "soldier" duty (IE loafing around) rather than switching to the archery ranges, much to my dismay.  When I re-assigned the barracks, they returned to sparring.

I too would be interested in a solution to this, if anyone else has had this problem.  Come to think of it, one solution would be to GIVE the dwarves a nervous system injury.  I'll try eqipping them with steel spears to spar with and see what happens.

KD

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 02:21:11 pm »

um, fighting with crossbows in melee is hammering, IIRC. it has nothing to do with wrestling skill.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 02:30:47 pm »

I've got this too.  Wrestlers refuse to use crossbows for no apparent weapons.  They also seem hesitant to use melee weapons in battle, although they'll spar with them.

juanoleso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 02:52:51 pm »

make sure they are off duty
make sure they are not part of a squad underneath a champion (i usually just separate my marksdwarves squads into individual dwarves)

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 05:56:20 pm »

Make sure that they are not carrying any clothing items that they obtained while wrestling.

This happened when I had my crossbowdwarf cross-train in wrestling. Eventually he ended up with someone's sock (of course) in his hands, and so refused to train archery when I switched his weapon designation back to crossbow.

I changed him back to a peasant for a while, and he discarded the sock when he started doing hauling jobs.

He started practicing archery after I switched him back to a soldier.
Pages: 1 [2]