Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McBuckethead cancels Fill Pond: Job item lost or destroyed. x3007  (Read 10620 times)

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When a couple of buckets fell into the pond (from testing if the pump could reach the water yet), they became inaccessible and started generating this spam:

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's one dedicated Dwarf  =p

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile

THat's a whole damn TEAM of maniac pond fillers.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/

Had the same problem, undesignate the pond, if it doesn't work then...
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could try forbidding the buckets as well.

I don't remember if doing that stopped the problem, or started it, when it had happened to me once...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*sig if you pour a heckload of water, violently, into a small body of water, it's not unlikely that you'll kill alot of fish ;)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Okay, I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile

Does somebody have a save with this?  I'm not having any luck getting it to happen.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ended up with very similar "Job item lost or destroyed. x539" spam when trying to sort out some animal overpopulation problems. Might be of help if the cause of the problem is similar? Here's what happened:

1) I channelled out a hole in the ground to chuck animals into.

2) I created an staircase down into the hole, seperated by a door set to "tightly closed" to prevent animals from escaping.

3) I created a pit/pond zone over the edge of the pit (1x2 zone, one grid over ground,  one over empty space)

4) I assigned every single horse, cow and bull to be pitted (lots of animals). Dwarves started hauling animals and chucking them into the pit.

5) I figured (inspired by the wiki) that the process would be faster if I had more than one pit/pond zone giving out jobs, so I created a second pit/pond zone next to the first one.

6) I assigned every single horse, cow and bull to be pitted in the second zone as well. Here's where the problem started; I should of course have realized that the different zones couldn't know that they shared a physical pit.

7) Dwarves started running down into the pit to fetch animals that had already been pitted from zone #1 in order to pit them from zone #2. While silly and inefficient, this wouldn't really have been a problem.

8) The door to the pit started "leaking" when dwarves ran in and out, and animals started escaping.

7) To prevent dwarves from re-pitting animals, I forbid the door into the pit. My thinking was that this would lead to dwarves not accepting jobs to pit animals already in the hole, leading to a potentially frustrated zone but no major inconveniences and eventually all animals would be in the pit. This is when I started to get the same kind of "Urist cancels Pit Animal: Job item lost or destroyed. x12074" spam that the OP seems to experience. Also, my framerate got REAL crappy, probably not very surprising.

The reason I didn't report this before was that I had to act so stupid in order to get it to happen that I wasn't sure it was worth addressing. But if similar stuff happens in other situations it might help hearing what I did to cause it..

Some further reflects on my experience above:

A) Animals probably shouldn't be allowed to pass through "tightly closed" doors even if they're temporarily opened by dwarves. This to simulate dwarves acknowledging the "keep closed!" sign on the door and not letting animals through. Critters seem way to likely to sneak out of pits otherwise.

B) It ought to be possible to see whether an animal is currently pitted in the "assign animal to be pitted" screen for the pit/pond zone. The reason for this is that if a single horse escapes somehow, or a new one appears outside of the pit, it's hard to figure out which animals needs to be re-assigned to the pit/pond zone. Of course, since none of my animals in the example above was actually in the pit/pond zone, there may be no easy way to check this currently. Perhaps check if they're enclosed in a small area with no path out?

Anyway, hope this helps somehow.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon

This isn't from pit/ponds and might not even be a bug but...

I'm getting the same message for my sand collection operations right now, and it's pretty annoying.  It's never into the thousands, at most it x500 or so.  But it seemed to start happening after I traded a bunch of bags to some merchants.  But I really have no idea why it's happening! 

Here's the file if you want to look at it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:42:12 pm by Run Comrades »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll take a look at some point.  Bucketish ones still welcome of course.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McBuckethead cancels Fill Pond: Job item lost or destroyed. x3007
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:57:32 am »

Here's a 40d buckety save. The buckets didn't fall in the pond, but were forbidden then reclaimed.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Ihmhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:54:11 am »

I found this thread via a Google search. I'm unaware of a solution has been found to this yet, but considering that a similar problem cropped up in the latest version for a friend of mine I thought it best to play it safe and post a reply.

I've been teaching a friend how to play and using Teamviewer to watch his screen over the Internet since he lives rather far away. He asked me about that problem, and since I'm still figuring out the new stuff in the latest version I had no idea what was going on. He was trying to get a farm going via the bucket-brigade method.

The issue only cropped up when the trader was around. Even after forbidding the buckets that the Elves brought with them, the announcement spam continued. It only ended when the elves left.

Therefore I believe that it is an issue relating to buckets that traders bring with them.

My friend cleared out the pond zone above the channels and waited for the elves to leave. Once they had left, the problem was solved.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

HOLY CARP, BATMAN!

epic necro.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:01 pm »

I found this thread via a Google search. I'm unaware of a solution has been found to this yet, but considering that a similar problem cropped up in the latest version for a friend of mine I thought it best to play it safe and post a reply.

I've been teaching a friend how to play and using Teamviewer to watch his screen over the Internet since he lives rather far away. He asked me about that problem, and since I'm still figuring out the new stuff in the latest version I had no idea what was going on. He was trying to get a farm going via the bucket-brigade method.

The issue only cropped up when the trader was around. Even after forbidding the buckets that the Elves brought with them, the announcement spam continued. It only ended when the elves left.

Therefore I believe that it is an issue relating to buckets that traders bring with them.

My friend cleared out the pond zone above the channels and waited for the elves to leave. Once they had left, the problem was solved.

It would be helpful if you created a report on the bug tracker for this problem.  It's most likely related to 0000237: Dwarfs Starve Trying to Eat Trader's Food and 0000490: Forbidding/unforbidding bucket results in "cancels Fill Pond: Job item lost or destroyed." spam

edit: I went ahead and posted it as a note on the latter report.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:56:50 pm by Footkerchief »