Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39a Released  (Read 39105 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39a Released
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:13 am »

Neoskel has been ecstatic lately. He saw that the most recent version of DF came out recently.

:D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37:39 am »

After looking at the Design parameters i think it's determined EITHER after end year OR some other stuff (like the precentage of existence of beasts) to keep the world interesting... fast generating seems to only generate some kind of small "lite" world, could be wrong through. EDIT: I'm currently generating a large world and it goes very slow, even on my 2,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo. It even stops for a few seconds in some years. I'm not suprised through.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:40:59 am by Mover#005 »

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 10:40:52 am »

Even when I set the end year paramters to the year 5000, everything still starts in the year 200.

I've generated many worlds now, "large" ones always crash my computer but "medium" ones work ok. They all end in the year 200. Dwarf forts are built in the year 201. I think this is why I haven't seen ANY tunnels/bridges yet through the mountains.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:38 am »

Even when I set the end year paramters to the year 5000, everything still starts in the year 200.

I've generated many worlds now, "large" ones always crash my computer but "medium" ones work ok. They all end in the year 200. Dwarf forts are built in the year 201. I think this is why I haven't seen ANY tunnels/bridges yet through the mountains.
You have to change the advanced world gen parametres, the starting year is based on the number of megabeasts left. You can tell the game the year when it starts to look at the megabeasts. That year (if it's over 300) is very likely to be your game starting year.

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 10:50:57 am »

YES! :D

Also, for those who can't find the editor, it's

[Design new world with parameters]; [e]; then [p].
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:38 am »

I like all the things you can look at in Legends now.  I went to the history of "The Bad Castle", a dark tower, hoping for some cool sieges and such.  But it's just a bunch of orcs and other things moving in and out ;p  Some big battles in a couple of the regions I looked at. 

So, new suggestion (maybe in there already?): A map browser for the legends, where we can click on regions and towns and see what happened ;p

Edit: Oh look, the "Historical Maps" option lets you look at the world state for any given year.  It doesn't show regions or let you follow links, but you can show cities/civilizations.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:15:02 am by axus »

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 11:04:17 am »

Editor controls instructions, plox? KTHXBYE.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 11:10:14 am »

I'm currently generating a large world and it goes very slow, even on my 2,4 Ghz Core 2 Duo. It even stops for a few seconds in some years. I'm not surprised through.
It seems stop every several years and clean out insignificant events; if you notice, when it stats back up the number of events stored will have dropped a fair bit.

I've had some fun looking through the world history logs. The last major event which heralded the end of prehistory in my first world was the death of one of the dragons. I looked up the person who killed the dragon, and found something amusing:

Apparently even though she had come to worship the dragon, she still specifically tracked it down and killed it. ;D
Oh, and she had a moderately long list of worshiped megabeasts besides the dragon.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:13:14 pm by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 11:12:48 am »

*breaths*

*breaths a little more*
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! finally, after waiting so long. Toady, you have my eternal love :D

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 11:34:47 am »

Must get download for win.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 11:53:45 am »

Gibbers ecstatically
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 12:06:38 pm »

so i kept noticing that the world gen was ending as soon as it started inspecting for megabeast population numbers, and that most of my Hydras and BCs were being killed off by early heros.

so I set worldgen to end in year 2.  now ALL the megabeasts are alive and kicking, and there are lots of them.  Sure, they dont have impressive kill lists, and they have not made enemies of all the civilizations yet.  I imagine the problem will be that it will be hard to get quests to go kill them, because no one knows what caves they are hiding in.

I also tried to make a highly volcanic map, since the idea is that the world is young.  I kept getting rejects because vulcanism isnt evenly distributed, but i have not figured out how to fix it yet.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 12:16:09 pm »

:D thank you TOADY! and OMG mass building at once!!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 12:22:32 pm »

F YEAH

But when I went adventuring I can't seem to find any caves. Maybe I've forgotten how to do it since it was so long ago, but as long as they're still that conspicious square shape they ought to be easily spotted..
EDIT: Beaten to it. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20499.0
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 12:28:07 pm »

I am also noticing that if I modify the parameters so that worldgen does end at the standard year 1050, at least one of the races, if not more, have been wiped out.

I have so far found it impossible to create a world where humans, goblins, dwarves and elves all survive until 1050. (I can't remember if kobolds are supposed to show up as neighbors in the embark screen as it's been a long time since I generated a world in the previous version)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7