Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d]The Eternal Siege  (Read 1629 times)

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
[40d]The Eternal Siege
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:00:08 pm »

So it's the 5th year of the fortress early summer. things are going good, when suddenly "A vile force of darkness has arrived!"
I wasn't too worried, this fort had had 3 sieges before, and I had a "siege entrance" with traps and a blind corner in it. All
dwarves were forced into safety eventually. So, there's 5 squads, with varying types of goblins, and 2 of the leaders are
elite bowman. "Those could be trouble" I thought. And oddly, one of the squads(of pike-gobs) was "led" by a regular swordsgob
who was so injured(with yellow injuries and such) he couldn't even move from the spot he started on. His squad stayed with
him on the edge of the map while the rest of the squads and a few trolls were annihilated with no injuries on my part.

Now, at this point I got a little cocky and decided to send my squad of training wrestlers to kill off the pike goblin squad. Unfortunately,
they don't all attack at once, 1 wrestler rushes them, gets killed, another wrestlers does the same, then a guard tries to take
their stuff but is killed as well. Then the last member of the training squad arrives and is also killed. At this point, the pikesgoblins have
moved a little bit off the edge of the map, but their leader is still lying there unconscious.

So I decide to send all the rest of the army to kill them, which they do brutally and efficiently, but afterwards I don't see any sword goblin corpse. Somehow he must have dragged
himself away; I thought. And he didn't appear on unit list anymore. But for some reason, it was still a siege, according to the top of the screen.

So I thought that since I had captured about 10 goblins in the siege I would have to kill them in order for the siege to end. 

Eventually I got theirs and few other goblin cages hooked up to lever in late winter and released them... Into the military's arms.
They were slain, but it still was a siege! At that point, I checked out the stocks menu to see how the armour-melting was
going and I noticed a red piece of (narrow iron chain mail) among the other armour marked for melting. I zoomed to it, and
saw that it was on the very spot on which the sword goblin leader had been lying, and I marked the invisible armour for dumping.
Soon a dwarf came along and pulled the armour out of thin air and threw it in the garbage dump.

Apparently the goblin became almost completely undetectable but is still alive and carrying on the siege. Already a guard
was lightly bruised by another guard because the tax collector couldn't get a gold item made out of gold from a caravan. Who will be next!?!?

I will post a save if someone tells me how.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:02:04 pm by R1ck »
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: The Eternal Siege
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:16:30 am »

Your sig is totally correct about this thread.

That was way too painful to read.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 03:55:29 pm »

Yanlin, stop being a prick. It was actually indentented and punctuated, so if you're annoyed by that then stop hovering around here and go die in a fire.

OT:The only easy fix I can think of is revert to an older save and hope to whatever religion you have that there isn't some prissy little wounded gobbo leading the squads.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:05:05 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »

Older Save?... Shoot. Perhaps some utilities are in order.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d]The Eternal Siege
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:32:28 pm »

Use Dwarf Companion, then kill the hidden gobbos.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 06:08:47 am »

Yanlin, stop being a prick. It was actually indentented and punctuated, so if you're annoyed by that then stop hovering around here and go die in a fire.

I don't think the correct way to write is to seemingly randomly put a new line in the middle of a sentence.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:00:19 pm »

Yeah, you'll probably need Dwarf Companion.

Info page: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/User:Bartavelle/DwarfCompanion
Download link: http://www.pindi.us/files/df/dfcompanion-0.14-exe.zip (this one is MUCH easier to install than the others on that page)

Good luck, if you need more help just ask, but the easiest way is to back up your save and do a LOT of experimenting with the memory hacking.

I don't think the correct way to write is to seemingly randomly put a new line in the middle of a sentence.

No seriously, this is useless nitpicking and nobody cares.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:58 pm »

You might have
had a point if
his post was
written like this,

but even then there was no cause to be rude. With the way his post actually was written, you haven't a leg to stand on.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:39:04 pm »

I downloaded and used Dwarf Companion, but all I found was dead goblins, not a single one alive. How odd. I seem to
have come upon a very, very weird bug. If anyone knows of a way(cheating or otherwise) to turn a siege "off", I would be very
grateful. Otherwise I suppose I'll just run the fortress to it's slow, certain death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:54:05 pm »

Do you know the name of the goblin that seemed to be causing trouble?

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:01:01 pm »

No, 'Fraid not.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 09:20:45 pm »

(Don't have anything to help with, OT)

He's just using hard linebreaks. Not super pretty, but I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out.

Rick, you might want to know that forum software treats each 'line' as a paragaph, ala MS Word and such, and does the linewrapping for you, ya shouldn't need to use breaks except between paras.

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 10:44:37 pm »

Yeah, I was wrangling with the line breaks there.
In other news, from looking through the known bugs I see a very similar case which was solved by bringing goblins back from
the dead, then killing them again. I'll try that next. Interestingly, the save was put in the depot under the name "Eternal Siege".

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 11:09:54 pm »

Victoly! I raised all the goblin swordsmen from the dead, then killed everyone except the one lying unconscious and heavily injured on the same spot that people had been pulling stuff out of. He was indeed missing most of his equipment, but for some reason he had two iron shields, one of them tricked out with bone. Now a dwarf was leaving with a piece of his stuff, so I recruited him, and he killed the swordsgob again. But the guy again didn't leave a corpse, only a pool of blood. After I did the same thing once more, I fiddled with some the the tags then killed him for good. The siege has lifted.
Thanks for all the help you guys(especially with the line breaks). ;D