Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Figuring out the world-gen parameters  (Read 39066 times)

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Figuring out the world-gen parameters
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »

Volcanism seems to determine the probability of a magma pipe or vent appearing in a world square.  Setting it to 100/100 will give you a vent in every tile.  Quite handy, actually.

Yeah, but if you do that, almost all your rock layers will be obsidian/diorite/other junk igneous stones. Since igneous rock is mostly junk you really don't want that.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:26 pm »

??? I copied and pasted the world_gen, but the world I just generated doesn't look anything like this one (very little evil), and the seeds are exactly the same.  Which version was used to generate this world?

And this is what happens if I flip the Elevation values around and screw around with the minimum region count, and put in a whole lot of mountain caves.

Evil mountain world!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2008, 02:59:19 pm »

Ah well, I've tried everything I could think to try, but no luck.  I give up!  I guess I'm not going to get my evil world, after all.
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2008, 05:52:02 am »

I can't get it to work... How can I get the minimum temperature to give me glaciers without giving me infinite rejects?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2008, 09:26:43 am »

Can you specify your question please?

Are you looking to find the minimum temperature required to give you glaciers?  Or, do you know that temperature and you cannot implement it because it gives you infinite rejects?

If your problem is a rejection one, then set the game to log map rejects (it creates a file for these in the base game directory) then see what the actual error is that's preventing the map from working.  Otherwise, I believe there's a manual override that can be done in the actual world-generation process to bypass rejects of a certain type.

I'd recommend playing around with your world creation parameters, however, until you get a template that works.  It's nice to have these templates because then later you can go back to them to get a similar world.

Keep us updated on the problem.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:19 pm »

I'm bumping this thread to ask if anyone has any info on the generation of special things -- magma pipes and underground rivers in particular.

I'm trying to generate a 3x3 with flux, underground river, magma pipe, chasm *or* bottomless pit, sand, and HFS.  I'm not worried (yet) about savagery, evil, etc.

So far, I've got:

1) Flux requires sedimentary rock, which requires low volcanism.
2) HFS requires mountains, which requires high elevation.
3) High volcanism should, in theory, give me more magma pipes, but in practice, doesn't seem to.
4) Sand requires high drainage and low rain.

Looking through the worlds generated, my magma pipes seem to consistently come up in forest/grass/shrub areas, and it seems that increasing the drainage and rain does give me more magma pipes.

I've already got the variances on every feature maxed out, and I've now generated three worlds with a 3x3 that was perfect, except for the lack of magma pipes.  Can anyone help me out?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2008, 01:28:29 am »

#3 is wrong.  You want high volcanism variance.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2008, 07:26:06 am »

My current settings are:

Min volcanism: 0
Max volcanism: 100
X-variance: 1600
Y-variance: 1600

2x2 mesh
0-20: 1
21-40: 1
41-60: 1
61-80: 0
81-100: 4

So my variance is already maxxed out.  I could change the weightings to make it more even -- I was under the impression I needed a 81-100 in order to get a pipe.

...So setting all of the volcanism weightings to 1 still leaves me with the same problem.  I'm generating areas that include all of the features but the magma pipe.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2008, 08:26:49 am »

Then I don't know.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:42 pm »

I got more magma pipes by setting Min volcanism to 5.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2009, 04:33:03 pm »

I got more magma pipes by setting Min volcanism to 5.

You'll also get about 30000 instant rejects, though. The volcanism tags are tricky, I've been having aggravations regarding them myself.

Having the Elevation Variance set to maximum makes for very few oceans, I've noticed. It's more of a hodge-podge of inland seas...

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2009, 08:25:15 pm »

For a magma pipe in every region, set these.
Code: [Select]
Min Volcanism: 100
Max Volcanism: 100
Minimum Number of Low-Volcanism Squares: 0
Minimum Number of Mid-Volcanism Squares: 0

That will give you a magma pipe in every sector of the map, with a few more rejects than before.  This does, however, clash with some other settings, and can cause infinite rejects if you modify much else.

Specifically, I ran a gen with these settings changed only, and got a great world in little time.  Editing erosion and height doesn't clash with this, nor does "Minimum number of Volcanoes," or any of the settings regarding caves (I've run the gen with these maxed, then min'd).

If HFS really does need mountains, that makes me sad, since I won't be able to have my planned glass tower with HFS to play with (my glass tower plans need totally flat land, since part of the challenge is no mining whatsoever, and I want plenty of room to play with).
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2009, 05:48:17 am »

??? I copied and pasted the world_gen, but the world I just generated doesn't look anything like this one (very little evil), and the seeds are exactly the same.  Which version was used to generate this world?

And this is what happens if I flip the Elevation values around and screw around with the minimum region count, and put in a whole lot of mountain caves.

Evil mountain world!

i tweaked this a bit and got rivers and evil worlds (sometimes just yellow mounts but most of the time purple)

Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Retributi0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

I found a link to this post off the wiki and it would make a great sticky..
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]