Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39b Released  (Read 16802 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.39b Released
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »

So Toady, by any chance have you used any kind of multi-threading stuff for worldgen in this version? It's odd, 'cause my home PC with his kickass video card and 3500+ of AMD powah used to be faster than the one at work, which is a meager core 2 duo with 1.8 ghz of velocity, but now, the tables have turned and the PC from work makes world at blinding speed and my home PC really slows down during the civilization gen part.
Interesting question, but just so ya know GHz ratings don't actually mean too much, specially when there's less than a full GHz difference, and you're comparing different chip designs (even more so when it's two different companies.) Still, I'd be interested in seeing if this is the case as well. The easy way to check is to run a worldgen and hit ALT+CTRL+DEL on the dual-core computer. Then just hit the performance tab and watch to see how much of each core is used.

EDIT: My personal test of my Core 2 Duo E6550 shows that no, no part of world gen is optimized for dual-cores.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:58:49 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 08:56:42 pm »

THANK YOU.
Side note- Toady yes if they were sleeping before they do wake up I was so scared I was going to lose them.
I just found you gave us a hide option, no more carring about stone making things look bad!
Thank you again for the very quick fix.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:31 pm »

So Toady, by any chance have you used any kind of multi-threading stuff for worldgen in this version? It's odd, 'cause my home PC with his kickass video card and 3500+ of AMD powah used to be faster than the one at work, which is a meager core 2 duo with 1.8 ghz of velocity, but now, the tables have turned and the PC from work makes world at blinding speed and my home PC really slows down during the civilization gen part.
If the 3500+ is a Venice core it should overclock quite well.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 03:31:13 am »

Setting Minimum Rainfall and Minimum Savagery both to 10 made it impossible for me to create a world (let it run to 2000 rejects).  Returning them to the defaults 0 worked with 28 rejects.  Are we not to mess with these particular values or are they just really sensitive?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 04:19:56 am »

It appears that smaller worlds are really sensitive. I ran into over 200 rejects on 17x17, while 65x65 only saw like 8 rejects. Guess it has to fit all sorts of stuff into a pocket dimension.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 06:28:05 am »

Setting Minimum Rainfall and Minimum Savagery both to 10 made it impossible for me to create a world (let it run to 2000 rejects).  Returning them to the defaults 0 worked with 28 rejects.  Are we not to mess with these particular values or are they just really sensitive?

I don't understand how the parameters work yet, but i think that for everything you change something else gotta give. By that i mean that maybe savargery is linked to another parameter wich if its unchanged will result in an infinite rejects.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:41 am »

You should set the rejects to be logged in your init file.  In this case, if you set minimum rain to 10, it's probably angry that there are no deserts.  You can set the minimum required deserts to 0 in the parameters (probably have to do it in 3 places).  It's a bit irritating that it doesn't handle this sort of thing for you, but that is how it currently stands.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 08:13:57 am »

Anyone figure out the problem with lockups if you set more than about 200 mountain and 200 other caves to be generated? Some people are generating worlds with 700+ caves, but one or two other people seem to be having this same problem, and i'm not sure why. I have rivers, civilizations, and volcanoes all set to max, which may be part of it.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2008, 11:33:07 am »

You should set the rejects to be logged in your init file.  In this case, if you set minimum rain to 10, it's probably angry that there are no deserts.  You can set the minimum required deserts to 0 in the parameters (probably have to do it in 3 places).  It's a bit irritating that it doesn't handle this sort of thing for you, but that is how it currently stands.

It's... Angry? But that means... It's alive!

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2008, 12:21:59 pm »

Dwarf Fortress.exe cancels task: Make Desert: Interrupted by rain x 431
Dwarf Fortress.exe cancels task: Make World: Throwing tantrum

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 12:27:33 pm »

The easiest way to build all sorts of cockeyed worlds is to nullify (the 'n' key) any entries that say "minimum," then reduce your number of civilizations (to reduce placement issues). Caves seem to work no matter how many you throw out there.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235
Pages: 1 2 [3]