Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven Economy  (Read 13074 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Economy
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 03:26:35 pm »

Thanks Baffler!  I wasn't a player when the old economy was in place, but I''ve gathered that it was pretty faulty. 

The main problems, as far as I can remember, were:

1) No modelling of supply and demand.  This was most broken with room rents: it was easy (especially if your masons/carpenters were all high-level and so all your furniture was masterwork) to make all your rooms so fancy that most of your dwarves couldn't afford the rent and got evicted.

2) haulers, and dwarves with rarely-used jobs could easily become so poor they couldn't buy/rent anything.

3) All the problems and challenges of the economy could be bypassed by boosting your dwarves to legendary skills (which could be done pretty easily by setting them pumping or wrestling continuously).

On top of that, minting money (which could be used to make payments) would end up with everyone wasting time hauling around more and more smaller and smaller stacks of coins.  Fortunately, that could be avoided by just not minting any, as without all payments were recorded "virtually".
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »

Skills are no longer super boosted by pump operating, but the other problems still exist without an overhaul.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 10:51:36 am »

Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 01:02:41 pm »

Not only is that cartoon somewhat outdated, it also features a misspelling of the word "seizes".
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 01:14:33 pm »

Regardless:  This and the other comics by the same fellow were awesome.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »

Is there an update regarding the abandonment of the dwarven economy and the return to an Incan style system where no one really owns anything but there are still those pesky nobles to satisfy?

For old times' sake.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 06:17:19 pm »

Is there an update regarding the abandonment of the dwarven economy and the return to an Incan style system where no one really owns anything but there are still those pesky nobles to satisfy?
Other than a footnote years ago that went something like 'Disabled the economy because it's completely broken, will be revisiting in the upcoming Caravan Arc', no, there really wasn't much more said on the subject. The groundwork for a new economy model is going in, slowly, bit by bit, so it doesn't suck completely when it comes back.

And, Henny can correct me if I'm wrong but, the cartoon it seems was in reaction to your:
Quote from: Urist Tilaturist
Skills are no longer super boosted by pump operating, but the other problems still exist without an overhaul.
due to the fact your statement makes it look like you completely missed the point of:
Quote from: Iapetus
3) All the problems and challenges of the economy could be bypassed by boosting your dwarves to legendary skills (which could be done pretty easily by setting them pumping or wrestling continuously).
and the cartoon describes the situation more clearly: Dwarves with a skill at "Legendary" - regardless of what the skill was - were exempt from the economy. No taxes, no rent, no paying for anything in shops. Hence the situation with screw pump gulags training every dwarf to be a Legendary Pumper to circumvent the effects of the economy that Iapetus was referring to. Which, again, as your reply makes it seem you misunderstood (since operating screw pumps absolutely still trains pumping skill, to Legendary, and that would have exempted a dwarf from the economy under the old system), the cartoon was a cute way to explain the situation Iapetus was describing.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 12:41:43 am »

the other nice thing about screw pumps, is that it was a job.

a dwarf would get paid for turning the handle, just like a slot machine that always lets you win.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 10:16:47 am »

Not only is that cartoon somewhat outdated, it also features a misspelling of the word "seizes".
It's from 2009 when the economy was active, so yeah it's kind of outdated. Kinda the point.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 01:42:22 pm »

I thought you were referring to the old weirdness of pump operators becoming superdwarves from increasing attributes. I had the wrong old broken feature.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 2 [3]