Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [V]isualize  (Read 1611 times)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[V]isualize
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:42:13 pm »

half-year lurker here.
I finally found a reason to post.
In dwarf fortress you can [V]isualize.
It appears to not be done yet and has the title text: "This isn't designed to be useful at this point"
Is this some up and coming feature? i never heard anything about it.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
Re: [V]isualize
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:50:03 pm »

This was a feature Toady put into the big 6-8 month dev time he spent rehauling DF into Z-levels. He thought visualizing the fortresses in 3D model would help.

i'm assuming most the community forgot this function in favour of the 3rd-party 3d visualizer.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:14:40 pm »

This was a feature Toady put into the big 6-8 month dev time he spent rehauling DF into Z-levels. He thought visualizing the fortresses in 3D model would help.

i'm assuming most the community forgot this function in favour of the 3rd-party 3d visualizer.

Well yeah, Most people prefer to use something that actually works over something that doesn't ;)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:34:32 pm »

Well yeah, Most people prefer to use something that actually works over something that doesn't ;)

It works fine it's just not pretty.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:40:22 pm »

Actually, it's unclear, chokes on underground stuff, has a very limited set of viewing angles, and shows less than 3dwarf.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:28:02 pm »

Actually, it's unclear, chokes on underground stuff, has a very limited set of viewing angles, and shows less than 3dwarf.

It will be absolutely gloriously useful when finished though, since it'll be in the game itself instead of a seperate program. :) Personally I'd prefer the game to completely playable in fully 3D.

I also want a flying bicycle and peace in the middle east.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:35:09 pm »

Granted.  The bicycle flies off before you can get on, but the people of the Middle East realize the foolishness of fighting each other over such trivial matters.  A small section in the northern part of Saudi Arabia enters the Guiness book of world records for largest group hug.  Unfortunately, one of the people involved in the hug was a former terrorist who was still wearing his bomb pack.  Someone squeezed him a little too tightly.

Whoops, wrong thread.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:14:05 am »

You want a flying bicycle?
Just ride it over to where that Seige Operator is standing.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.