Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A humble request (not a new suggestion)  (Read 841 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
A humble request (not a new suggestion)
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:26:34 pm »

This is a request for a feature that is already planned but which I wish could be done for release two of the army arc since I think there's little to do to make it so.

Since the last release we now see towns filled with adventurers with good professions like spearmen, bowmen, swordsmen and such. In fact. There are more than I expected to see. And they seem quite experienced. Some of them also have long previous background histories that makes them much more interesting.

So I ask Toady for the ability to choose them to play in Adventure Mode instead or along with the ability to create new characters. I think all the game infrastructure is already there. The only work needed would be to add a menu at the start of adventure mode so that we can choose from the list of living and willing adventurers of any playable race.

Like I said, this is already a planned feature. Yet I don't know when Toady is planning to tackle it. But since it seems almost everything needed it's already there that's why I'm making the request to implement this for maybe the next big release.

If Toady says that it's not really as simple at it seems and some big change or planed arc needs to be implement first then I'll retract my request.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:11:11 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A humble request
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:50:03 pm »

Taking this idea further, I'd like to start adventure mode with existing people in dire straits (or scenarios, if you will), like in wars (being able to choose the side would be great too) or duels. This could be done if the game could scan the future events (few months or weeks ahead), spot something approppriate and when started, would advance time to that moment.

This would make the player more connected with the events and history and give the feeling that they have really affected the world.

EDIT:
That's the entire Scenario Arc, pretty much.
Wow, I thought I had a new idea, but instead it seems like my subconscious had picked up the Scenario Arc as it's own. I just wrote the Scenario Arc in different words. :o This Arc had completely slipped my mind. Sorry for all the inconvenience.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:15:15 am by LASD »

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 06:18:32 pm »

Taking it even further, why couldn't we begin a Fortress with seven pre-existing dwarves with their own past ?

Sorry Toady if you feel like we are a bunch of little ***** always asking for more  ;)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:24:10 pm »

Taking this idea further, I'd like to start adventure mode with existing people in dire straits (or scenarios, if you will), like in wars (being able to choose the side would be great too) or duels. This could be done if the game could scan the future events (few months or weeks ahead), spot something approppriate and when started, would advance time to that moment.

This would make the player more connected with the events and history and give the feeling that they have really affected the world.

That's the entire Scenario Arc, pretty much.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 06:27:44 pm »

Taking it even further, why couldn't we begin a Fortress with seven pre-existing dwarves with their own past ?

Sorry Toady if you feel like we are a bunch of little ***** always asking for more  ;)

I'm sure that's coming, and probably fairly soon. At the very least migrants will be able to be pulled from a pool of people that exist. Hell, if you abandon a fort, then make a new one under the same civ/area, you could get your own people as immigrants. a neat thought.

leone313

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:34:36 pm »

I just see an infinite variety of applications, like, will the foolish cannibal elves trade with a dwarf who killed in his past life many of them ?  ;D

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:07:29 pm »

Hey hey guys. Keep it simple.

All those suggestions are nice but let's not add to much to the request. All those things will be added eventually with the scenarios arc. The idea of my request is to add as little as possible to make worldgen adventurers playable in the least amount of releases possible. All the other stuff can be added later.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!